Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toys 'R' Us exclusive "Star Wars Speeder Bike Scout"

I haven't found them in the wild, but others in my area have apparently found them around my quasi-frequent visits to TRU, which really annoys me. Obviously, they aren't getting too many of them at one time or people are just buying them up in large numbers.

I just got my two units in the mail yesterday (at the time of this posting, you can order it here). I was able to order them at the start of the week using a gift card I got for my birthday. I have to say that, while they are nice, I found myself to be a bit underwhelmed by it. I don't really know what I was hoping for, but it's merely OK. The stand is what makes it for me. How simple is that? I think the new bike itself is fine and the scale is definitely better, but the Biker Scout figure doesn't really sit that well on the seat. I've finagled with it and got it as close as possible, but it's impossible to lean the figure forward and have his butt down. The cannon accessory is lame and falls apart pretty easily. I doubt that I will be doing anything with it, so it's going to go in the "the box". The Scout's gun doesn't really fit into the boot holster very well and you really need to jam it in there (in order for it to not fall out when you turn the bike upside down?).

I'd give the whole thing a B or an "almost" B-.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I was able to get a very satisfying pose on the figure at Comic-Con, but I haven't gotten mine from the site yet to see if I can recreate that at home.

Surprised to hear the cannon doesn't stay together well, that's the first I've heard of that.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Everything you say is absolutely true JP, but it's still my favorite thing that has come out in a long time. The biker scout needs some tweaking, and the gun was destined to go into a box and stay there before I ever took it out. The bike itself is (for an inexpensive plastic toy) perfect. I'm sure we'll get rereleases in a couple years with Luke and Leia in endor gear. Hopefully those figures will stay seated a little better. All in all since it was the bike I was buying it for, I'm perfectly happy with it.

A TRU employee told me after scanning the tag that the entire state of Colorado is completely devoid of these bad boys. Their exclusives have normally been plentiful around here - maybe too plentiful, so TRU decided to cut back? The Yavin pilots and Ewoks sets haven't been difficult to find. Anyway, I should just order online soon, but it's a shame that an exclusive that people might actually want multiples of is in such short supply.

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartner View Post
    I just got my two units in the mail yesterday (at the time of this posting, you can order it here). I was able to order them at the start of the week using a gift card I got for my birthday. I have to say that, while they are nice, I found myself to be a bit underwhelmed by it. I don't really know what I was hoping for, but it's merely OK. The stand is what makes it for me. How simple is that? I think the new bike itself is fine and the scale is definitely better, but the Biker Scout figure doesn't really sit that well on the seat. I've finagled with it and got it as close as possible, but it's impossible to lean the figure forward and have his butt down. The cannon accessory is lame and falls apart pretty easily. I doubt that I will be doing anything with it, so it's going to go in the "the box". The Scout's gun doesn't really fit into the boot holster very well and you really need to jam it in there (in order for it to not fall out when you turn the bike upside down?).

I'd give the whole thing a B or an "almost" B-.
    My pair arrived in the mail about an hour ago. The stand isn't level, which I find ever so slightly disappointing as it means chase scenes will look off, but then I remembered that the stand can be pulled out slightly and now it's level but not as secure - maybe I'll clearband it to level flight. Perfectly level flying is the supreme challenge of the scale model pilot.

I cannot imagine what you're doing that doesn't have the figure in the seat, mine is leaning down further than what you see in the film - I just checked the entire scene to be sure - and he is right in the seat as much as in the film. I'll include a photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0435-ed.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	26678
    I didn't even have to hinge the footpedals forward (the pedals move forward as a single unit in several clicks).

The cannon accessory on mine doesn't fall apart at all. At first I thought the legs were way too floppy, but it turns out they have stops to click past which keep them firmly in place (and the back leg pegs into the bottom of the cannon), and it stays transformed onto the bike pretty well too, so I'm surprised to hear this one.

My one complaint is that the set I opened has a number of small QC issues - paint slop, glue slop, and the nose vane assembly is tilted slightly off-center - but largely I'm quite happy with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by mtriv73 View Post
    I'm sure we'll get rereleases in a couple years with Luke and Leia in endor gear. Hopefully those figures will stay seated a little better.
    Your figure doesn't stay seat well? I've had this thing upside-down twice already and still in the same pose. BTW, I think the figure is really good, only the black of the PVC joints for the shoulders and ankles hold it back from being a full home run.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    A TRU employee told me after scanning the tag that the entire state of Colorado is completely devoid of these bad boys. Their exclusives have normally been plentiful around here - maybe too plentiful, so TRU decided to cut back? The Yavin pilots and Ewoks sets haven't been difficult to find. Anyway, I should just order online soon, but it's a shame that an exclusive that people might actually want multiples of is in such short supply.
    Ask the employee to check how many are on order. California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Utah have 1,000 on order from Hasbro just waiting to arrive even though my state is also devoid of them. I think the problem is that the exclusive is either too popular or the manufacturing too slow for demand, for the price and value this set beats every other TRU exclusive I can think of.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It stays on just fine, I just can't get him to sit down all the way. It's like he's hovering over the seat.

It's back in stock at TRU. I would have loved to buy two, but 22 dollars is expensive.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by mtriv73 View Post
    It stays on just fine, I just can't get him to sit down all the way. It's like he's hovering over the seat.
    How high off the seat are we talking? I mean, his hips go WAAAAY out to the sides, I would think that'd cover any possible issues there.

I ended up finding and getting one today, so either they're still shipping or the employee was full of it. Anyway, it's pretty damn sweet. I thought the cannon was flimsy too until I re-read JT's comment about the back leg plugging into the cannon and now it feels better. My Scout Trooper tends to look fine in the seat but hover over it a few millimeters, so while it's not perfect it looks just fine. The stand makes it fly higher than most of the bikes did in the film, but it was probably designed that way for stability so it's not bad. The silver battle damage is much less detailed than the box image shows as well. Those are all the complaints, but really, the positives far outweigh the few negatives. The bike feels much sturdier than the 2002 version so sagging won't be much of an issue. I love that they included the clear stand as well as a removable kickstand, so it can look good just sitting there as well. The scout really does work well with it aside from that little space and the added neck articulation helps get him in several awesome bike-riding poses that the 2006 one can't achieve. If you're on the fence at all, well, don't be. It rocks!

Finally found mine! I like it!
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!