Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    It's not like the generic Jedi sold particularly well when the movie had just come out, why does it seem like a foregone conclusion that this generic one would? Nick Gillard surely isn't handsome enough on his own to warrant a random figure.
    IIRC, wasn't Cin Drallig a boss in the ROTS video game? The iron may no longer be hot, but he should've been made as a tie-in. Makes more sense than two Bultar Swans in less than a year.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I want Cin Drallig as well, but he only appears in the movie as a hologram (and only very briefly), has a different but more uniquely colored outfit in the video game than he does in the promotional stills, and is really more notable for the fact of who plays him than anything he really does in the film or elsewhere (which isn't much aside from the game that people probably haven't played much in the last seven years). So while I think he would be a cool choice, I can't really fault them for wanting to make (and upgrade) the more prominent, interesting-looking Jedi first.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    The bandana is longer and made from a thicker fabric. Well maybe not necessarily thicker, just folded in half and sewn together so it's essentially "double-ply" where Kithaba's bandana is just a single layered strip of cloth. Barada's bandana is also long enough to drape down onto his shoulders. Kithaba's bandana doesn't even come down to his collar. So, the mask is the same, but the bandana is different enough that I think it requires a new sculpt. If Hasbro was going to reuse any Kithaba parts, then I guess they can use the legs. However, anything else and the figure becomes more of a repainted-Kithaba instead of a proper Barada.

Oh yeah, and Kaink was released in the Star Tours set, but she had that crappy cloth hood that didn't properly represent the outfit she wore in the TV special. She should have an outfit that covers most of her body, not just a hood.
    The thickness may be different, but how different will they look at 1:18 scale? Is it enough to warrant a whole new sculpt? Even if that cost-savings could get your figure made or not made?

As for the length, your own site's images say differently, that they're both the same, both touching the collar: http://www.skiffguards.com/images/sk...arada-BTC4.jpg
    http://www.skiffguards.com/images/sk...thaba-BTC1.jpg
    And the Kithaba figure's bandana is about as long but kinda curled so it doesn't have to be a separate piece.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    IIRC, wasn't Cin Drallig a boss in the ROTS video game? The iron may no longer be hot, but he should've been made as a tie-in. Makes more sense than two Bultar Swans in less than a year.
    He is in the game, but he looks entirely different - different hair and face and costume.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The thickness may be different, but how different will they look at 1:18 scale? Is it enough to warrant a whole new sculpt? Even if that cost-savings could get your figure made or not made?

As for the length, your own site's images say differently, that they're both the same, both touching the collar: http://www.skiffguards.com/images/sk...arada-BTC4.jpg
    http://www.skiffguards.com/images/sk...thaba-BTC1.jpg
    And the Kithaba figure's bandana is about as long but kinda curled so it doesn't have to be a separate piece.
    Hey! Stop using my own website against me!

Anyways, if they simply reuse Kithaba's head, then I wouldn't consider Barada to be done. So, if faced with the choice of a Kithaba-repaint passed off as Barada or no Barada figure at all, then I would go with no figure at all.

If they keep resculpting Nikto heads between Nysad, Fi-Ek-Sirch, and the Vintage Nikto, then why not Barada? Same with Giran and Wooof, why have two different head sculpts between the two Klaatus if the masks are identical in the film and they're just going to be covered up with a helmet anyway? So, it's more about the precedent that Hasbro's already set and I don't want to see them taking any steps backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Hey! Stop using my own website against me!
    Mwah ha ha! I have you now... wait, actually, "you have you now!"

Anyways, if they simply reuse Kithaba's head, then I wouldn't consider Barada to be done. So, if faced with the choice of a Kithaba-repaint passed off as Barada or no Barada figure at all, then I would go with no figure at all.
    I still don't really understand this, it's the same exact mask mold in the film. Aside from colors which are of no consequence to this discussion, the only difference is a slight variance in the thickness or sweatiness of a bandanna, right? We're not talking about reusing the body, only the head.

If they keep resculpting Nikto heads between Nysad, Fi-Ek-Sirch, and the Vintage Nikto, then why not Barada? Same with Giran and Wooof, why have two different head sculpts between the two Klaatus if the masks are identical in the film and they're just going to be covered up with a helmet anyway? So, it's more about the precedent that Hasbro's already set and I don't want to see them taking any steps backwards.
    Fi-Ek-Sirch shouldn't be in this discussion, he's a prequel alien and likely uses a different mask from the ROTJ masks. With the other 2, there's no precedent to protect, Nysad's head was too big and had too much chin so they didn't reuse it, compare:
    http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?i...9_NIKTO-25.jpg
    http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?i...9_NIKTO-24.jpg
    but if Kithaba's head looks fine as-is why shouldn't they reuse that? I'd rather deal with the practicality of the matter than avoid getting a new figure on principle.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I guess I'm supposed to take offense at this post, but all I can think is: get back to us with your opinion when more than 5% of your collection is out of storage and opened. Until then, all you can do is enjoy the idea of your figures, the short Vaders and tall Lukes and fat Chewies and just general awkward sculpts and minimal articulation that has no room expression. And save your explanation of why you collect different from everybody else, we all know your arguments that involve your figures ultimately being any random collection of things that has the same idea of these characters even if they're basically just muscle men painted yellow or white or black.

PS - no new Vaders and Lukes means no more Star Wars line, which means no chance for Shasa Tiel and company, that's how it's dared.
    No, you weren't supposed to take offense, I was just trying to type strong words to emphasize my point.

Actually you are right when you say:

"PS - no new Vaders and Lukes means no more Star Wars line, which means no chance for Shasa Tiel and company, that's how it's dared. "

I'm just trying to say that from my perspective, I won't be buying the Vaders and Lukes. Consequently, I might get more quiet on these boards just because my enthusiasm would bubble when we get something unusual that's been on my demand list for a long time, like Nomi Surider.

LOL at your "more than 5%" comment. That's also true, but I'm now moving much more quickly to 30%. As you're aware, my start-up costs to be a real novelist (not a self-published "hobbyist") has cost me tens of thousands of dollars (this includes building a network from my participating in re-enacting groups and movie productions for which I needed my own equipment for, and almost always travel and hotel expenditures). But anyway, I got a financial break and purchased a lot of new display furniture so I can set up more stuff behind glass and it has motivated me to clean up my place and make it into more of a neat museum.

I don't think it's realistic that I'm going to earn my way up to moving out of this place, and if I do, even my uncle's 9 room, 6 car garage place, with an extra couple of houses on the property is large enough to showcase all of my collection (presumably like Rancho Obi-Wan though I have not been there to accurately make the comparison).

So every 10 years I'll rotate my stuff on display, and then I'll expect to start making plans to die anyway (or live a lot many more years free to decorate differently.

But as to the "muscle-men" comment, I feel some nostalgia for the He-man Luke etc. I started collecting Playmates Star Trek TNG in 1992 and went to a Trek convention in 1995 to see Patrick Stewart I think. And there I head the return of SW figures was coming. I decided I'd try and see some pictures of the first 9 figures, so I went to the dealers' room. Incredibly, instead of finding pictures, I found the figures and even got Leia and C-3PO at a cheap price (for what would temporarily be coming) because the vendors didn't know she'd be rare or anything.

So I kind of like the memories.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'd just like every resculpt to be an improvement. All of these "better articulation, worse likeness--now with improper paint!" figures are really grating on me.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I'd just like every resculpt to be an improvement. All of these "better articulation, worse likeness--now with improper paint!" figures are really grating on me.
    I agree, the "one step forward, three steps backwards" approach is really sucking all of the enjoyment out of collecting modern figures.

I really don't even look at them if they're characters I already have.

I did like that Snaggletooth in the Target 3-pack though (but didn't buy it)

But I mean it. I seriously don't even look. I wouldn't recognize the new Luke Hoth off of his cardback if I came across one. I've touched it while working through the figures on a peg at the store, but except for a glance at the cardfront picture, I really have never looked at it.

I'm sure their cost per figure, or cost per case assortment pre-determines what a new figure will get. They can't afford a decent headsculpt if they want ankle articulation, for example.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    They can't afford a decent headsculpt if they want ankle articulation, for example.
    I think the headsculpts are a matter of artistry not finances. So that's going to rely on skill and talent more than anything else. If you hire an untalented artist and you double his pay, he's not going to suddenly become more talented, he's just going to be overpaid. Similarly, a talented artist is going to have the same level of talent no matter what you pay him.

The guys who sculpt these figures are artists, plain and simple. They might be artists under crushing deadlines, but they are still artists nonetheless. So, the common rules of productivity don't necessarily apply to them.