Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

What's left to do in basic figures?

There are only a small number of recognizable characters left to be produced in the modern line that don't already have figures, and only a few more that really need upgrades from previous versions. So what are they, what are those figures that you are still looking forward to seeing Hasbro do?

• Vader ESB/ROTJ - the latest ANH Vader is pretty good, except for the helmet really being not accurate to Ep 4, but it also highlights how crummy the previous Vaders have been - often too much focus on wild softgoods that can't be tamed and light blasts right through them as if they're chiffon.
    • Luke Farmboy - yeah, I know we just got one, but it has proportion issues. It's close, but not quite there.
    • LEIA LEIA LEIA DAMNIT LEIA ANH! - um, yeah, so in my book we don't have one of these at all, there isn't a single representation that is worth a crap in the modern line.
    • Han ANH - just regular ol' Han Solo, and I don't think there's a single one that fits the bill in the modern line.
    • Lt. Pello Scrambas - yeah, the old guy from the beginning of ANH, he won't sell well.
    • Lando ESB - what an odd thing to not really have a good figure of, he's a main guy in the film and the best we have is kinda simplistic and short.
    • Stormtrooper - hear me out, we have good stormtroopers, but not only are they a little difficult to pose thanks to hard hands and limited hips, their helmets don't look right for some films thanks to sculpt and paint issues. I don't expect this to ever happen, nor a Sandtrooper that uses the movie-accurate design changes.
    • Snowtrooper commander - ok, sure I didn't notice this guy was different until a few years ago, and yes Hasbro did a figure, but it's not very modern quality.
    • Admiral Piett - in modern quality, not stereoid-abusing.
    • The Emperor (ROTJ) - one without poorly-sewn tight hoods or giant plastic caves as hoods or any weirdness, just get it right.

I can't think of anything from the prequels I'd buy at this point. They could try to do a better ROTS Anakin head or TPM Obi-Wan head but I doubt I'd buy them anymore, just too many times to the well.

So, what's on your list?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Would some of the Rebel generals count as "basic," like Dodonna or Rieekan? Bespin Guards? Some un-made Padme dresses? Bib Fortuna or Boushh Leia from Jabba's palace? Dooku (maybe with removable hands)? ANH Lars family?
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Would some of the Rebel generals count as "basic," like Dodonna or Rieekan? Bespin Guards? Some un-made Padme dresses? Bib Fortuna or Boushh Leia from Jabba's palace? Dooku (maybe with removable hands)? ANH Lars family?
    "Basic" in this case I was referring to scale, not pricepoint. You can count them if you like, pack-ins, multipack figures, whatever. If you could get it in the past at a retailer and it's in the 3.75" line but not a beast or something along those lines, that's what I meant by basic.

Might I ask what you'd be looking for in a new Boushh Leia, what didn't work in the current one?

I'd add Owen Lars ANH to my list, not Beru though as I just can't see buying 2 figures of her.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    My list would be:

OT super-articulated resculpts:
    1. Barada - preferably not reusing any of Kithaba's parts.
    Wow, right off the bat, you just want it all, huh? What wouldn't you use though? They're the same mask, right? Why not the same head mold?

7. Cantina Band Member - super articulated and packed with all five instruments and a stool, so that you can buy multiples to build the entire band.
    6 instruments, and yeah, I'd be down for a new Cantina Band Member.

9. Han Carbonite or a Skiff Battle Han Solo
    Yup, Han Carbonite ESB and/or ROTJ should be on my list as well.

10. R2-D2 - just a really well-made, super-accurate version of R2 without all the ridiculous gimmicks. The Build-a-Droid version of R2 is okay, but the dome is the wrong shape and Hasbro used the wrong shade of blue for the details.
    No thanks to the BAD, the body is wrong even without the holes. I'd take the recent ROTJ one but with the gimmicks changed/removed, that's a good sculpt (the legs need cylinders at the "hips" though).

12. Biker Scout - a correctly proportioned helmet would be a nice change from the pinheads we usually get
    The new one I think fits that bill.

15. C-3PO - the same as R2, no silly gimmicks, better scale and work on that gold finish, it doesn't have to be vac-metalized, but it needs to be a different shade of gold and shinier compared to the TVC figure.
    I struggled with 3PO on my list for a while, thinking the Endor one was good enough. But ultimately, yeah, 3PO is not really properly represented still compared to the Kotobukiya sculpt and the Tamashii Nations one.

OT all-new figures:
    1. Yotts Oren (grey-suited Klaatu from the second skiff)
    2. Vedain (Nikto Skiff Driver)
    3. Velken Tezeri
    4. Taym Dren-Garen
    5. Sgt. Doallyn
    6. Mercenary Pilot Skiff Guard
    7. Fozec
    8. Gailid
    9. Nizuc Bek
    10. Shirtless Human Skiff Guard
    Seeing a theme there. I'm not sure I'd get excited at $10 a pop over those, but I can see why they'd be wanted.

Prequel resculpts:
    1. Tarfull (ROTS) - the 2005 figure was crap, so I would prefer one that was on the same level of quality of the 2004 VOTC Chewie
    2-9. Wookiee Warrior - again, the same level of quality as VOTC Chewie
    Prequel all-new figures:
    1. Merumeru
    3-10. more Wookiee Warriors
    That's a lot of wookiee warriors!

2. Jann Tosh
    His Comedy Central show is very popular these days.

4. Kaink - from the Ewok Adventure TV special
    Didn't we just get Kaink? Or was that figure lacking part of her outfit?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    JT, I'd buy NONE of the figures that you listed, save for possibly Pello Scrambas (old Rebel Fleet Trooper) - maybe.

I'm in the market for Nyrat Agira or Tzzvvzzt, Shasha Tiel and probably much of what BigBarada listed, though my eyes are tired and I couldn't read his long list right at this moment.

But how dare it be suggested that sculpting resources be wasted on the same characters we have billions of versions of!
    I guess I'm supposed to take offense at this post, but all I can think is: get back to us with your opinion when more than 5% of your collection is out of storage and opened. Until then, all you can do is enjoy the idea of your figures, the short Vaders and tall Lukes and fat Chewies and just general awkward sculpts and minimal articulation that has no room expression. And save your explanation of why you collect different from everybody else, we all know your arguments that involve your figures ultimately being any random collection of things that has the same idea of these characters even if they're basically just muscle men painted yellow or white or black.

PS - no new Vaders and Lukes means no more Star Wars line, which means no chance for Shasa Tiel and company, that's how it's dared.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    *Sebulba (the existing one isn't bad but a more modern one would be nice; the same applies to the following two)
    *Watto
    *Captain Panaka (body could be used for generic soldier in his uniform)
    I'd possibly buy these, I guess, but I couldn't say enough for sure to add them to my list.

*Cliegg Lars
    I'd add this to my list as well, Cliegg Lars.

*Anakin Skywalker (Jedi robe)
    Another "maybe but not enough to be on my list" figure.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    It boggles my mind that Cin Drallig has still not been made. Sure, there are lots of characters whose non-presence seems to boggle my mind, but Cin seemed like such a no-brainer. New head on a Jedi body.
    It's not like the generic Jedi sold particularly well when the movie had just come out, why does it seem like a foregone conclusion that this generic one would? Nick Gillard surely isn't handsome enough on his own to warrant a random figure.

Sadly, a proper Corran Horn and a non-Emperor's Hand Mara Jade are still sorely missing. Since we got Nom Anor (or at least we're told we got him; I haven't seen evidence of this), Jacen with the Embrace of Pain, and the generic Vong trooper, a few more Vong would be good (particularly a Shimmra/Onimi 2-pack).
    It still utterly boggles my mind that they screwed up that winning Mara Jade figure.

I have a Nom Anor, so he exists. I guess, doesn't look all that much like him from what I've seen.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Wow, right off the bat, you just want it all, huh? What wouldn't you use though? They're the same mask, right? Why not the same head mold.
    The bandana is longer and made from a thicker fabric. Well maybe not necessarily thicker, just folded in half and sewn together so it's essentially "double-ply" where Kithaba's bandana is just a single layered strip of cloth. Barada's bandana is also long enough to drape down onto his shoulders. Kithaba's bandana doesn't even come down to his collar. So, the mask is the same, but the bandana is different enough that I think it requires a new sculpt. If Hasbro was going to reuse any Kithaba parts, then I guess they can use the legs. However, anything else and the figure becomes more of a repainted-Kithaba instead of a proper Barada.

Oh yeah, and Kaink was released in the Star Tours set, but she had that crappy cloth hood that didn't properly represent the outfit she wore in the TV special. She should have an outfit that covers most of her body, not just a hood.

It's not like the generic Jedi sold particularly well when the movie had just come out, why does it seem like a foregone conclusion that this generic one would? Nick Gillard surely isn't handsome enough on his own to warrant a random figure.
    IIRC, wasn't Cin Drallig a boss in the ROTS video game? The iron may no longer be hot, but he should've been made as a tie-in. Makes more sense than two Bultar Swans in less than a year.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I want Cin Drallig as well, but he only appears in the movie as a hologram (and only very briefly), has a different but more uniquely colored outfit in the video game than he does in the promotional stills, and is really more notable for the fact of who plays him than anything he really does in the film or elsewhere (which isn't much aside from the game that people probably haven't played much in the last seven years). So while I think he would be a cool choice, I can't really fault them for wanting to make (and upgrade) the more prominent, interesting-looking Jedi first.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    The bandana is longer and made from a thicker fabric. Well maybe not necessarily thicker, just folded in half and sewn together so it's essentially "double-ply" where Kithaba's bandana is just a single layered strip of cloth. Barada's bandana is also long enough to drape down onto his shoulders. Kithaba's bandana doesn't even come down to his collar. So, the mask is the same, but the bandana is different enough that I think it requires a new sculpt. If Hasbro was going to reuse any Kithaba parts, then I guess they can use the legs. However, anything else and the figure becomes more of a repainted-Kithaba instead of a proper Barada.

Oh yeah, and Kaink was released in the Star Tours set, but she had that crappy cloth hood that didn't properly represent the outfit she wore in the TV special. She should have an outfit that covers most of her body, not just a hood.
    The thickness may be different, but how different will they look at 1:18 scale? Is it enough to warrant a whole new sculpt? Even if that cost-savings could get your figure made or not made?

As for the length, your own site's images say differently, that they're both the same, both touching the collar: http://www.skiffguards.com/images/sk...arada-BTC4.jpg
    http://www.skiffguards.com/images/sk...thaba-BTC1.jpg
    And the Kithaba figure's bandana is about as long but kinda curled so it doesn't have to be a separate piece.

IIRC, wasn't Cin Drallig a boss in the ROTS video game? The iron may no longer be hot, but he should've been made as a tie-in. Makes more sense than two Bultar Swans in less than a year.
    He is in the game, but he looks entirely different - different hair and face and costume.

I guess I'm supposed to take offense at this post, but all I can think is: get back to us with your opinion when more than 5% of your collection is out of storage and opened. Until then, all you can do is enjoy the idea of your figures, the short Vaders and tall Lukes and fat Chewies and just general awkward sculpts and minimal articulation that has no room expression. And save your explanation of why you collect different from everybody else, we all know your arguments that involve your figures ultimately being any random collection of things that has the same idea of these characters even if they're basically just muscle men painted yellow or white or black.

PS - no new Vaders and Lukes means no more Star Wars line, which means no chance for Shasa Tiel and company, that's how it's dared.
    No, you weren't supposed to take offense, I was just trying to type strong words to emphasize my point.

Actually you are right when you say:

"PS - no new Vaders and Lukes means no more Star Wars line, which means no chance for Shasa Tiel and company, that's how it's dared. "

I'm just trying to say that from my perspective, I won't be buying the Vaders and Lukes. Consequently, I might get more quiet on these boards just because my enthusiasm would bubble when we get something unusual that's been on my demand list for a long time, like Nomi Surider.

LOL at your "more than 5%" comment. That's also true, but I'm now moving much more quickly to 30%. As you're aware, my start-up costs to be a real novelist (not a self-published "hobbyist") has cost me tens of thousands of dollars (this includes building a network from my participating in re-enacting groups and movie productions for which I needed my own equipment for, and almost always travel and hotel expenditures). But anyway, I got a financial break and purchased a lot of new display furniture so I can set up more stuff behind glass and it has motivated me to clean up my place and make it into more of a neat museum.

I don't think it's realistic that I'm going to earn my way up to moving out of this place, and if I do, even my uncle's 9 room, 6 car garage place, with an extra couple of houses on the property is large enough to showcase all of my collection (presumably like Rancho Obi-Wan though I have not been there to accurately make the comparison).

So every 10 years I'll rotate my stuff on display, and then I'll expect to start making plans to die anyway (or live a lot many more years free to decorate differently.

But as to the "muscle-men" comment, I feel some nostalgia for the He-man Luke etc. I started collecting Playmates Star Trek TNG in 1992 and went to a Trek convention in 1995 to see Patrick Stewart I think. And there I head the return of SW figures was coming. I decided I'd try and see some pictures of the first 9 figures, so I went to the dealers' room. Incredibly, instead of finding pictures, I found the figures and even got Leia and C-3PO at a cheap price (for what would temporarily be coming) because the vendors didn't know she'd be rare or anything.

So I kind of like the memories.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'd just like every resculpt to be an improvement. All of these "better articulation, worse likeness--now with improper paint!" figures are really grating on me.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'd just like every resculpt to be an improvement. All of these "better articulation, worse likeness--now with improper paint!" figures are really grating on me.
    I agree, the "one step forward, three steps backwards" approach is really sucking all of the enjoyment out of collecting modern figures.