Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 346
  1. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Mayhew is an old man, maybe he doesn't want to commit to more movies.
    If that's the case, then I can live with Chewie not being in the films. However, I don't want them to intentionally leave Chewbacca out to stay consistent with a book that only a select number of Star Wars fans would have read.

    If he's not in Ep7, then they are going to need to use up value movie time to explain why. He was too important of a character in the OT to just brush him off.

    It's easy enough to just put Mayhew in the make-up from the waist up and give him mostly white hair to show that he's aged. Then he can just send a transmission from his home-planet explaining why he can't be a part of the main storyline. Han can even make a comment on how his "life debt" had been paid off many times over and he told Chewie to go home and take care of his family.

    Something like that would be better than to just say "Oh, he died. Go read read this book, now on sale at your local bookseller, to find out how."
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

  2. #132
    Go spend money on the book. That's what they're saying. Make us more money after we bought this thing.

    Chewie's death did not diminished Han's character. It made Hans look at his life and how it had changed things becoming a father and a husband and feeling suicidal After losing his best friend. Then he gathered his strength and came back like a true hero. That's character growth. As was dealing with the death of his son. Chewie dying to save Anakin and then Anakin dying was great tragic writing even though it happens by accident.

    I would kill more more old guard characters.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  3. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    If that's the case, then I can live with Chewie not being in the films. However, I don't want them to intentionally leave Chewbacca out to stay consistent with a book that only a select number of Star Wars fans would have read.

    If he's not in Ep7, then they are going to need to use up value movie time to explain why. He was too important of a character in the OT to just brush him off.

    It's easy enough to just put Mayhew in the make-up from the waist up and give him mostly white hair to show that he's aged. Then he can just send a transmission from his home-planet explaining why he can't be a part of the main storyline. Han can even make a comment on how his "life debt" had been paid off many times over and he told Chewie to go home and take care of his family.

    Something like that would be better than to just say "Oh, he died. Go read read this book, now on sale at your local bookseller, to find out how."
    What's a "local bookseller"?


    Han Solo is defined in part by his inabilities and by those he chooses to have as compatriot to help back up his shortcomings. Han Solo without Chewbacca is not as nuanced a character and not as vulnerable, not as dependent.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  4. #134
    Now you have Han Solo with a Jedi daughter married into the Empire and a Jedi granddaughter.

    You'll see him struggle because he does not have even same abilities as his children. Yet they are young and he still needs to come through for them. Or give his life for his granddaughter.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  5. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Now you have Han Solo with a Jedi daughter married into the Empire and a Jedi granddaughter.

    You'll see him struggle because he does not have even same abilities as his children. Yet they are young and he still needs to come through for them. Or give his life for his granddaughter.
    Of course, it's highly likely that Disney will just toss all that continuity in the garbage can. Why force people to read books that have been out for years in order to catch up on the story, when instead they can just erase it all, publish new books and, not only get new readers to buy them, but longtime readers as well?

    For example, let's say Ep7 picks up right after the Thrawn Trilogy (not technically possible, I know, but this is just an example). Well, a new fan will need to go back and buy those books if they want to know what happened between Ep6 and Ep7; but, since I'm sure you already own those books, you're not going to buy them again. However, if they erase HTTE from the continuity and start fresh, then both you AND the new fan will need to buy any fill-in books that they might decide to publish later on. So, they've potentially doubled their book sales by erasing the existing EU continuity. It's a win/win in their eyes.

    Because of this, I think Star Wars is finally going to break into the multi-continuity format that we've seen for other big franchises like Star Trek, Marvel Comics, DC Comics, TMNT, GI Joe, Transformers, Walking Dead, etc.

    Technically, it's always been that way, since the EU continuity from 1977-1991 has been essentially erased by the new-EU that started up with the Heir to the Empire novel.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

  6. #136
    Apparently, these movies really are being based on Lucas' ideas and were underway with pre-production before the purchase even began. George Lucas has shown his true colors with EU already: it's pretty unimportant to him, he'll toss it fast if it gets in his way or even challenges his ideas in any way.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  7. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Apparently, these movies really are being based on Lucas' ideas and were underway with pre-production before the purchase even began. George Lucas has shown his true colors with EU already: it's pretty unimportant to him, he'll toss it fast if it gets in his way or even challenges his ideas in any way.
    "Ain't that the truth?" said Tim Zahn, Kevin Anderson, R. A. Salvatore, Karen Traviss, Jude Watson, Rick Veitch, and Genndy Tartakovsky in unison.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

  8. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Of course, it's highly likely that Disney will just toss all that continuity in the garbage can. Why force people to read books that have been out for years in order to catch up on the story, when instead they can just erase it all, publish new books and, not only get new readers to buy them, but longtime readers as well?

    For example, let's say Ep7 picks up right after the Thrawn Trilogy (not technically possible, I know, but this is just an example). Well, a new fan will need to go back and buy those books if they want to know what happened between Ep6 and Ep7; but, since I'm sure you already own those books, you're not going to buy them again. However, if they erase HTTE from the continuity and start fresh, then both you AND the new fan will need to buy any fill-in books that they might decide to publish later on. So, they've potentially doubled their book sales by erasing the existing EU continuity. It's a win/win in their eyes.

    Because of this, I think Star Wars is finally going to break into the multi-continuity format that we've seen for other big franchises like Star Trek, Marvel Comics, DC Comics, TMNT, GI Joe, Transformers, Walking Dead, etc.

    Technically, it's always been that way, since the EU continuity from 1977-1991 has been essentially erased by the new-EU that started up with the Heir to the Empire novel.
    I understand your point but disagree.

    Harrison, Mark, Carrie are all in their 60's-70's.

    The films will undoubtably HAVE to introduce their children / grandchildren as the new action heroes.

    Star Wars heroes are 20-30 something.

    Why not call them Jaina, Ben, and Allanah for just the sake of the argument?

    Why can't there be new books and comics starring Jaina Fel, Ben Skywalker, and Allanah Solo that everyone that has THE OLD BOOKS and everyone interested in the new characters could buy into?

    A 5 year old kid going to see Episode 7 might think a "Ben Obi-Wan" Character is cool, but when I was 5, I was into Han, Luke, and Leia. Obi-Wan was "that old dude."

    Now Han, Luke, and Leia will be the "old people." Kids and the rising NEW MARKET will be into Jaina, Ben, and Alllanah (a young generation of heroes - whatever they are called). Also new fans of the PT that were already OT fans had some interest in the Jedi Apprentice and Clone War books when "the Old Guy" was young, and more new fans were created behind the PT who weren't even born in 1997 when the OT was back in the theaters. (I did mean Nineteen NINETY seven - the re-release of the SE SW films.)

    But why tick off OT fans who already invested in the stories about "the old guys" - whether they be Obi-Wan or Luke's generation? Re-prints will still sell to new fans.

    Obviously Dark Horse went back to basics with their new Star Wars series (set right after ANH) but to be honest, I'm really bored with that era. Ahsoka's story added something new to the CW era so having already seen ROTS, I did NOT know everything that was going to happen. There was Ventress, Cad Bane, Hondo Ohnaka, and a few more new characters like the Onderron freedom fighters that I started to care about even when I knew what would become of Anakin.

    If EU for the OT film era and just after is going to be successful, newbies have to be introduced. Some real winners like Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn already were - as were Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, Ben, and Allanah.

    Now I've read that. And I even know what happens to Mara, Thrawn, Jacen, and Anakin.

    All I can tell you about Jaina Fel is that her descendants become Imperial Knights who rule the Remnant as Emperor Roan Fel and Princess Marisiah Fel (his daughter).

    Allanah will have a grand-daughter and perhaps a lot of births out of wedlock for the Solo clan - as Ania Solo will be the next female Jedi star of the Legacy comic series that Dark Horse is going through with beginning this year.

    There are no other Solos: Jacen died leaving only Allanah (mother the Jedi and Hapan Queen Mother Tenel Ka).

    Anakin died childless, and Tahiri Veila (Tusken Raider raised, Yuuzhan Vong twisted Jedi), his girlfriend, was never pregnant before Anakin was killed in the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion War.

    Allanah was the only one to carry the Solo name, but she and (actually - possibly a son born out of wedlock) were the only ones to carry the Solo name.

    Jaina's children too the Fel family name and are heirs to the Empire - pun directly applicable.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  9. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Why not call them Jaina, Ben, and Allanah for just the sake of the argument?
    I completely agree with you on this point. Although, I would rather then start out with all the children; Jacen, Jaina, and Ben and possibly Anakin.

    I am resigned to the fact that the EU I grew up with is going to be tossed out the window, but I would be extremely upset if they at least didn't use the names provided by the novels. To chose random, non-important names over those with an already emotional attachment to the majority of Star Wars fans would be like a giant middle finger to us all.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

  10. #140
    Darth Metalmute, We are sort of on the same page. But Leia was 23 in ROTJ And had Jaina 5 years after, during Heir to the Empire. In 2015the Carrie will bbe 60 years old, thus Jaina 32. Jacen died when the twins were 27. (Leia age 55)

    Anakin Solo died 3 years before that. It can be done if the stories take place before New Jedi Order.

    Mara Jade Skywalker would also be in the picture then.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO