Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    I'm very skeptical, I don't want a recast Luke, Leia, Han. I'd be happy with the movies "dying" with Lucas, let the SW world continue in books, cartoons etc.

Does this mean before the iconic Star Wars crawl, we see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwMYz...feature=fvwrel ?
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Ha! I just posted that same thing to the Bookface!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Wow! Amazing news!! Whether its good news or bad news remains to be seen. I think I'd like to have Lucas still have a part in it, but as JT pointed out, not total control. As far as who to play Luke, Leia, & Han, I don't know what to think about that. They will always be compared to the original actors. I'm also worried about the watering down factor as well. It might be a better idea to wait a few years longer to release EVII before releasing it to give the franchise a little rest in the public's mind.

When I had a friend mention this, my first thought was "April Fool's Day." Then I remembered we're coming up on All Saint's Day, 'cause it'll be November. I'm not super excited about the deal, but I won't use Lando's Cloud City line about "this deal's getting worse all the time" yet.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I worry the latest news about Episodes 7, 8, 9, etc. might throw the EU to the wind. It doesn't have to. Nor does it need to make movies out of the existing books to keep with the continuity.

Please read on.

Jaina and Jacen (as infants) were created by Timothy Zahn during "Heir to the Empire." As the father of the Star Wars Renaissance, like the Solo twins or not, many should remember their origins.

Kevin J. Anderson and then the New Jedi Order writers developed the Solo kids the rest of the way until they are in approximately their mid-to-late-20's.

Anakin Solo was a Dark Horse Comics character born after his twin siblings. Lucas had him killed off to there weren't two (2) Anakins as the Clone Wars took off. It had a good effect on the impact it made on Jaina and Jacen, and Han and Leia.

Jacen became Darth Caedus eventually, and was indirectly responsible for the death of Mara (Jade) Skywalker. Unlike when Padme died, Luke did not turn into the Dark Side, left without love as his father had. Instead he raised and trained their son, Ben Skywalker.

Ben's grandson is Cole Skywalker, Cade's father, killed at Ossus.

Jaina married Jagged Fel and became an Empress as the family of the Imperial war hero Baron Soontir Fel was elected Emperor. The descendant Fels are all Force-users (Imperial Knights) because of Jaina, a grand-daughter of Darth Vader. Jaina Fel's great-grandson is Emperor Roan Fel. He has a daughter Princess Marsiah Fel, cousin of Cade Skywalker.

Cade also has a non-Force-sensitive half-sister by a different father.

There are gaps in the EU which could be filled here by a movie series IF THEY MAINTAIN THE EXPANDED UNIVERSE.

Also, Han and Leia are raising the daughter of Jacen Solo (the late Darth Caedus), Alanah Solo. She is the daughter of the Hapan Queen Tenel Ka, widow of Jacen Solo. (Remember Courtship of Princess Leia?)

If new movies use Mark, Carrie, and Harrison at their current ages to reprise their roles (as b-characters), Luke could be training his grandson, Ben Skywalker's child - as Ben would be a fully trained Jedi Knight.

On the Solo side of the family, the future Emperor Roan Fel would be a young child if Han and Leia knew their great-grandson through Jaina. Interestingly enough, Kathleen Kennedy looks like an older Jaina Fel.

Meanwhile, Alanah Solo would be at the perfect Star Wars "Alpha-Character age" (around her late teens to early 20's). Carrie could play Grandma.

I have a feeling that:

1) you probably don't care. Many here have their focus on the movies and (maybe because there were SOME really bad books) and you'd like to throw it all away and let the movies steer a different course. [I am the opposite, as I've enjoyed imagining what comes after ROTJ and how LucasBooks had handled it in a meaningful chronology whereas Star Trek books are an incohesive mess and it's hard to know what to get into, though a linear legacy post-DS9 would interest me if there was one. But because Star Wars EU has entertained me thus far, so I want to see it preserved in any continuing expansion.]

2) While I don't know if Kathleen Kennedy cares, new people brought into the Star Wars brand might eagerly wait to get to do their thing - which might or might not be to anyone's liking. (and scares the hell out of me)

3) As to using my own imagination for what happened after Jedi? When I was a child playing with my action figures, I wrote elaborate stories for post ROTJ adventures. I'm not kidding when (not long after 1983) I had Han and Leia go to Dagobah to train (see the Glove of Darth Vader YA books which came out years later in the early 90's), Leia becoming a Jedi and leader of a New Republic - REALLY, ISN'T THIS LOGICAL? and on top of that, them having a child (ANOTHER LOGICAL CONCLUSION) and I named that kid Anakin Solo - symbolic of Leia forgiving her father (ANOTHER LOGICAL CONCLUSION). I used the GI Joe Hawk figure for their son. I did not think of fraternal twins, but I've really liked Jaina and Jacen over the years.

What did you imagine post-ROTJ?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Midnight toy launch at the Disney Store!!
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    What did you imagine post-ROTJ?
    Well, I imagine Luke slowly rebuilding the Jedi Order, because that was pretty much what the title "The Return of the Jedi" hinted at. Plus, Leia starting to use Force powers and maybe marrying Han Solo.

Although I don't see how Carrie Fisher or Harrison Ford could have anything more than an extended cameo in the new films. But I could definitely see Mark Hamill taking on an "Obi-Wan Kenobi from ANH" type of role in the new films.

What I definitely do NOT want to see is a ghost Hayden Christensen showing up and giving advice to an aged Mark Hamill.

Yoda will definitely be in it and I'm sure they could persuade Ewan McGregor to reprise his role as Obi-Wan.

If George Lucas is saying that he already has story treatments for episodes 7-9, then I think it's safe to assume that those treatments date back to the mid-1970s or early-1980s (he'd always claimed that there were supposed to be 12 Star Wars films, then that number was revised down to 9 around the time of ROTJ). So, I think it's also safe to assume that those story treatments will completely contradict anything set up in Post-ROTJ EU. Which is good for me, because I never liked the idea of the Empire surviving after the Emperor.

I'm betting Episodes 7-9 will be back to Jedi vs. Sith, not Rebels vs. Empire.

I should add that this announcement isn't a total shock to me since Star Wars and Disney have always been linked in my mind since 1987 when Star Tours premiered. It really just feels like the logical and natural progression as George Lucas steps out of the spotlight.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    So, I think it's also safe to assume that those story treatments will completely contradict anything set up in Post-ROTJ EU. Which is good for me, because I never liked the idea of the Empire surviving after the Emperor.

I'm betting Episodes 7-9 will be back to Jedi vs. Sith, not Rebels vs. Empire.
    To BigB: but really, just because Palpatine died in ROTJ and Vader is gone of course, what would all those greedy Sector Governors (like Tarkin had he lived) and the Empire's command officers (like Veers who's death was never shown on screen - a character I even had recurring in my own post-ROTJ story treatment)?

The Empire wouldn't just desolve and give up autocracy for a New Republic democracy (or after 23 years would you still call it the Old Republic?)

I think the war would go on - this time more successfully for the Rebel Alliance until there really was some kind of provisional council (done in the EU during the Rogue Squadron era) and eventually a New Republic.

Then, to your 2nd point: where would the new Sith come from? Luke's apprentices like Brakiss did fall to the Dark Side until Luke learned to be a better Jedi Master.

Asajj Ventress - an EXPANDED UNIVERSE CHARACTER not yet killed - could return, restoring the Sith as has been speculated.

Han and Leia would definitely have kids unless both were killed. Leia's children would be Force-sensitive. But they'd need to be training. One could fall to the Dark Side (Jacen Solo - been there, done that - with a very well-developed character).

Twins having twins is also possible. (But not Luke and Leia together - Luke's dad cut off his son's hand for doing that!)

Anyway, EVERYONE ELSE: what did you imagine would happen post-ROTJ?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    To BigB: but really, just because Palpatine died in ROTJ and Vader is gone of course, what would all those greedy Sector Governors (like Tarkin had he lived) and the Empire's command officers (like Veers who's death was never shown on screen - a character I even had recurring in my own post-ROTJ story treatment)?

The Empire wouldn't just desolve and give up autocracy for a New Republic democracy (or after 23 years would you still call it the Old Republic?)

I think the war would go on - this time more successfully for the Rebel Alliance until there really was some kind of provisional council (done in the EU during the Rogue Squadron era) and eventually a New Republic.

Then, to your 2nd point: where would the new Sith come from? Luke's apprentices like Brakiss did fall to the Dark Side until Luke learned to be a better Jedi Master.

Asajj Ventress - an EXPANDED UNIVERSE CHARACTER not yet killed - could return, restoring the Sith as has been speculated.

Han and Leia would definitely have kids unless both were killed. Leia's children would be Force-sensitive. But they'd need to be training. One could fall to the Dark Side (Jacen Solo - been there, done that - with a very well-developed character).

Twins having twins is also possible. (But not Luke and Leia together - Luke's dad cut off his son's hand for doing that!)

Anyway, EVERYONE ELSE: what did you imagine would happen post-ROTJ?
    Well, I kind of see it similar to what happened with Nazi Germany. Most of those guys knew what they were doing was evil, so once Hitler was dead, the Nazis basically dissolved and most of the high ranking officers went into hiding to keep from being prosecuted for their crimes. I could imagine a similar situation with the Empire. It would also underscore the idea that Palpatine's evil influence was behind most of the drive behind the Imperials. Once he was dead, that drive to die for the Empire would no longer exist.

There might be a few factions here and there, but I feel that the Empire was portrayed as too strong and too unified in the post-ROTJ EU, simply because the writers couldn't come up with a more original "villain" for the Rebels.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis