I liked the Thrawn trilogy for this reason. The New Republic had been at war with the Imperial remnants for five years, and they were doomed to lose because of infighting and a lack of organization. Then Thrawn shows up. He is able to unite the warlords under his command--and, most importantly, he's a likable character. He completely turns the tables around on the Rebels until one of his seemingly most loyal subjects kills him because of an agreement between Vader and his race, and Thrawn not taking into account they might recognize Leia as Vader's daughter.

The fall of the Empire didn't play out like the fall of Nazi Germany. Germany had been declining, losing territory for a while, and then Hitler killed himself as the Russians captured Berlin. The destruction of the second Death Star would be more akin to Hitler and Himmler holding a secret meeting at the Wolf's Lair (following years of trouncing the Allies repeatedly and preventing them from getting a foothold in Europe, most recently taking over, say, Britain) and a small group of Allied commandos blowing up the building with them inside. In this case, there's nothing to make us presume the remaining Nazi generals and other leaders wouldn't keep fighting. They weren't losing, exactly. They just lost their two top guys and a superweapon at once. (Granted, we see the general populace celebrating Palpatine's death in the Special Editions, but what's to say the Stormtroopers didn't give everyone present a severe spanking immediately afterwards?)

BTW, is Obsession is still canon (which seems debatable following what I've heard about the last season of Clone Wars), Asajj Ventress is believed to be dead, but is in hiding. Trouble is (in terms of her being an E7 villain), she no longer wants anything to do with Sith or war.

What do I want? An explanation of what The Journal of the Whills is, what a Whill is, and what the significance of "The Son of the Sun" is.