Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Ugh, it's confirmed that he's doing this.

Honestly, Hollywood is so dumb about these things, he's the golden boy because he does moderately well at box office, but really looking at his track record is nothing to crow about: Forever Young, Regarding Henry, Felicity, Alias (which was good for 2 seasons and ruined for 3 more), Mission Impossible 3 (well, it was better than MI2 but that's not saying much), Cloverfield, he has a lot of middling TV-esque stuff in his portfolio.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I notice you left off a film where a future starship captain hides under a green-skinned alien's bed to peep at a woman undressing, JT.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Here's my biggest problem with this... Abrams constantly says that he directed Star Trek as though he was making a Star Wars movie. Thing is, the best Star Wars movie I can think to compare it to is The Phantom Menace... Pike was Qui-Gon, Spock was Obi-Wan and Kirk was Jar-Jar.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I notice you left off a film where a future starship captain hides under a green-skinned alien's bed to peep at a woman undressing, JT.
    No, that was the crux of my argument in previous posts, it felt redundant to bring it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    Here's my biggest problem with this... Abrams constantly says that he directed Star Trek as though he was making a Star Wars movie. Thing is, the best Star Wars movie I can think to compare it to is The Phantom Menace... Pike was Qui-Gon, Spock was Obi-Wan and Kirk was Jar-Jar.
    Ha, awesome! The swollen tongue and hands on FakeKirk were pretty Jar Jar-esque.

Abrams claiming his New Coke Trek was meant to be a SW film is laughable, and worrisome for this new SW movie. Look at the insane camera angles and movements, it's got a loud "voice" from all the over-the-top style and motion, the camerawork IMO is screaming "look at me, I'm telling a story via style!!!". Star Wars camerawork is sedate, it's never jammed up a character's nose too close or screaming around corners at wild angles, it's never in the way of the story, it's merely documenting it so the audience can take it all in. When in Star Wars you get crazy camera moves that aren't believable, like some of the stuff in the Geonosian droid factory, it takes the audience out of the movie.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I liked Kirk's swollen tongue. I laughed out loud and thought I was really enjoying a sense of humor in this movie, interspersed with genocide and other things I appreciate.

Kirk hiding under the Orion girl's bed while he watched Uhura strip was awesome! I know he was partially doing that to get the Orion chick's help to cheat on the Kobiyashi Maru test, but if I was in Starfleet Academy, I'd have been doing that sort of thing in my extra-curricular activities anyway. I mean I did it in college in real life anyway. It makes Kirk more real - and furthermore as we learned in the TNG episode "Tapestry," Captain Picard would have done the same thing in his younger years.

Archer and Sisko were both more serious Starfleet cadets when they were younger I think. Riker was trying one approach or another with Deanna Troi, too.

Gee: let's make our characters playful and human, instead of nerds obsessed with being MIT appropriate just because straight-laced characters are somehow honorable and (definitely) more professional - as if that's ALWAYS more admirable than just boys being boys, living their lives, part of which is constantly pursuing sex (themes found in a lot of other military movies).

If Abrams has Ben Skywalker being that type of guy, I would enjoy the character as a fresh change for a Jedi. Luke has changed the role of Jedi by marrying Mara and having a child in the first place. But we know it as cannon, that Obi-Wan ran around the Dutchess (Satine) of Mandalore, most likely NOT with Qui-Gon or Yoda's approval. Oh and duh: the obvious: Anakin and PADME.

But Anakin is overly former in his courtship: "Your kiss you never should have given me as I hope that kiss will not become a scar..." (but brilliantly alluding to the scars born by Darth Vader only 3 more years into Anakin's future). "I can't breath." (Vader's iron lungs...) AOTC is better than many give it credit for.

Meanwhile, we never saw Luke really court though we got the idea he was interested in Leia before he knew...

On the other hand, Han Solo's style is a third way: to bait and argue with the girl he likes, and accuse her of everything. Thoroughly enjoyable while he's being an Az to Leia, but her aristocratic attitude kind of demanded it.

So Ben Skywalker could be a JJAbrams' type of prankster courter.

NOW....Jaina Solo would already be involved with or marrying Jagged Fel. And she would probably not be a slud nor playful like that in her 30's, which she'd have to be if Carrie Fisher at nearly 60 played Leia at nearly 60 - who had Jaina 5 years after ROTJ, or when Leia was 27 years old.

And Allanh Solo (Jacen's orphaned daughter) is only 9 years old - like Anakin in TPM - so let's not go there.

These are LIVE ACTION films, right? Not voice-overs where Leia could be 26-27 and still played by Carrie Fisher (age around 60)?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

This is now why I was hesitant to "like" the acquisition by Disney. Star Wars had a broad coverage of its products and companies:
    - music (often 20th Century Fox, then Sony Classical)
    - books (Bantam/Spectra, before LucasBooks)
    - fast food tie-ins (Burger King, Taco Bell/Pizza Hut/KFC, then McDonald's)
    - cereal (Kellogg's, then General Mills)
    - video games (Atari, then LucasArts)
    - comics (Marvel, then Dark Horse)
    - action toys (Kenner/Hasbro)
    - high-end collectibles (Gentle Giant, Sideshow, et al)
    - cards (Topps, with a few other smaller companies)
    - cartoons (ABC, then Cartoon Network)
    - likely more that I can't recall now

That kept it a little fresh; competition and innovation and all that, you know. Now, if you don't want your SW with a side of Disney, you'll likely be out o' luck.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I'd expect more Disney Store exclusive toys.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    That kept it a little fresh; competition and innovation and all that, you know. Now, if you don't want your SW with a side of Disney, you'll likely be out o' luck.
    I don't know why that would have to be the case. Hasbro's contract currently goes through 2020, and they could easily expand that when the time comes (it was recently expanded from 2018). I don't know what the other licensees are, but if Disney sees companies as successful doing what they're doing then I doubt they'd just stop - they're still getting licensing fees and all that sort of thing. I fully expect Disney to expand SW's presence at the Disney Store (as LM mentioned) and throughout the parks (where it already has a pretty good-sized footprint anyway, including many kinds of collectibles). Disney already had quite a lot of SW product, such as the Hasbro Droid Factory kiosk and Weekends merchandise, that I see it expanding but not necessarily taking away from anyone else.

Yes, The Clone Wars will probably move to Disney XD, but does that really matter? On the plus side, Disney owns several TV channels and has the budget and connections to expand SW on TV, so I'm not even remotely worried about that.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Just think, when the Sequel Trilogy wraps up, in 2021 or 2022, kids born after Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm will be 9-10 years old. So they will have no memory whatsoever of a time when Star Wars was not a Disney franchise.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    I'd expect more Disney Store exclusive toys.
    Ugh, yeah, just like their Indiana Jones product line, a ton of park and Disney store exclusive things that are good but fall short too, like the 6" IJ figure with no neck articulation except up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I don't know why that would have to be the case. Hasbro's contract currently goes through 2020, and they could easily expand that when the time comes (it was recently expanded from 2018). I don't know what the other licensees are, but if Disney sees companies as successful doing what they're doing then I doubt they'd just stop - they're still getting licensing fees and all that sort of thing. I fully expect Disney to expand SW's presence at the Disney Store (as LM mentioned) and throughout the parks (where it already has a pretty good-sized footprint anyway, including many kinds of collectibles). Disney already had quite a lot of SW product, such as the Hasbro Droid Factory kiosk and Weekends merchandise, that I see it expanding but not necessarily taking away from anyone else.

Yes, The Clone Wars will probably move to Disney XD, but does that really matter? On the plus side, Disney owns several TV channels and has the budget and connections to expand SW on TV, so I'm not even remotely worried about that.
    As I posted in the news, Cartoon Network announced their 2013-14 fall lineup and will not be airing The Clone Wars in it, so either it's going to XD or it's going to the scrapheap.