Han & Chewie
    Leia
    Vader
    R2 and C-3PO
    Boba Fett
    Jaina & Jacen
    Ben
    Allanah
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Another true test of whether the Exp. Universe is truly in play is whether we'll see Peter Meyhew cast as Chewbacca.
    If the movies do indeed take place after your post Darth Cadeus universe, then Chewbacca wouldn't be in the movie as he would be dead.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    If the movies do indeed take place after your post Darth Cadeus universe, then Chewbacca wouldn't be in the movie as he would be dead.
    But the films have been destroying the EU storylines and backgrounds since the Prequels, so nothing is truly out-of-the-question anymore.
    "That's what Sheev said."

I would be highly annoyed if Chewbacca is dead in Ep7. I could care less about some book or comic book that came out years ago, the movies need to stand on their own. You can't kill off a main character like Chewbacca offscreen... well, technically you can, but it's just really poor storytelling.

If they need to toss out whatever stupid book Chewbacca died in and expel that storyline permanently from the Star Wars continuity, then so be it.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Mayhew is an old man, maybe he doesn't want to commit to more movies. That said, the character of Chewbacca shouldn't be left out simply because of a bad idea in Vector Prime.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Vector Prime the book itslef wasn't so bad; but the whole NJO storyline, even though I recently learned it was supposed to follow Joseph Campbell's "Journey of the Hero," was so bad it makes me want to drop a moon on it.

Maybe Mara Jade, Mon Mothma, Ackbar, Madine, or Thrawn aren't dead, either.
    Oh, sorry: SPOILER alert. Sincerely, the year 2007.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I would be highly annoyed if Chewbacca is dead in Ep7. I could care less about some book or comic book that came out years ago, the movies need to stand on their own. You can't kill off a main character like Chewbacca offscreen... well, technically you can, but it's just really poor storytelling.

If they need to toss out whatever stupid book Chewbacca died in and expel that storyline permanently from the Star Wars continuity, then so be it.
    The books needed to kill a pretty regular character to evoke that there was some danger going on in the SW universe. Else why read the books at all? - they all end up with everything "back to normal."

Personally, I wanted to see Han or Leia die eventually, too - like in some kind of blaze of glory - that'e especially Han's style.

It makes other characters left alive PASSIONATE for revenge at the very least - and they ACT on their feelings.

Chewbacca's death was in the initial installment of a 20 book New Jedi Order series.

I guess they didn't allow the Big 3 to be killed just in cast they made more movies - as we're seeing now.

But these appearances by Harrison, Fisher, and (less so) Hammil will be a lot like cameos and I don't think they will (or should) be the new trilogy's main characters.

Meet the Fockers was about Ben Stiller's character moreso than the in-laws or parents. Han, Leia, and Luke are the Fockers this time around.

Get it Focker?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Initially, killing Chewie was a good idea. They needed to show that the characters were in danger, and most authors clearly had no idea what to do with him. (The novels usually seemed to coincide with him visiting family on Kashyyyk.)

Unfortunately, they blew it, when it became clear the other major characters weren't in danger. And when his sacrifice became pointless when (according to rumor) George Lucas thought it'd be confusing to have different characters named Anakin in the books and movies, and made them kill Anakin Solo (whom Chewie had died saving).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The books have always struggled to write for Chewie and Lando, so it was obvious that one of them was going to be the dead one, and the one who couldn't express himself through dialogue was the easier choice - despite it diminishing Han Solo as a character. And as Chux said, Having Chewie die for ultimately little reason ended up wasteful.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.