Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
I hear ya on the novels, it's easy to read when you've got to kill that much time, but when you have other stuff it's really hard to justify it. That said, reading is WAY more rewarding mentally than TV and video games because the reader is actively creating in their imagination the scenes they are reading about. For a long time I wasn't reading at all, then I got a hand-me-down e-reader and that... rekindled (sorry) my interest in books, so when I make time to read I find it more rewarding overall.

Trek novels are tough, what era? I was buying a lot of used trek for a quarter at my local used book shop about a decade back and generally hating 1 out of 3, but enjoying just as many. Trek has a LOT of different voices, that's both good and bad.

As for HTTE trilogy, I think you're ultimately going to be missing out a little, especially if Ep 7 sucks, because these books work on the Star Wars level where most others I've read don't.
I started reading Star Trek books very heavily in high school. From about 1987-1988, just as the Next Generation-themed novels started being published; but I only read the first one of those. So most of the books I read took place during the original TV show era or the early movie era (pre-Star Trek V).

I think I read about 26 of the books as a kid and you're right that not all of them were good. I did learn which writers to follow for the most part, though. My favorite was Diane Duane who wrote The Romulan Way and is still THE expert on Romulans as far as I'm concerned. Other good writers were Diane Carey and Vonda N. McIntyre. Books like The Romulan Way, Final Frontier (which had absolutely nothing in common with the movie), Strangers From the Sky (written by Margaret Wander Bonanno), Enterprise (which had absolutely nothing to do with the TV series), The Wounded Sky, Dreadnought!, etc. really shaped my view of not just Star Trek but sci-fi in general.

After Star Trek V: The Final Frontier was released, I kind of gave up on the novels and started to lose interest in Star Trek in general. Just because it was clear that they were rewriting everything with no concern for what had already been established in the books. Which is EXACTLY what I expect to happen with the sequel trilogy.