Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Article: Disney Buys Lucasfilm; Eyes Release Of 'Star Wars: Episode 7' For 2015

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

I just rushed back to my computer to post this news. This is INSANE, not at all what I would have expected from George Lucas. I suppose if he had to sell to any studio, Disney is the right one, but geez it's such a left turn from a guy whose entire career has been outside that studio system.

And the first thing they do is announce Episode VII?!? That's really swinging for the fences.

Look at Lucas' face, he looks guilty as hell there.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Look at Lucas' face, he looks guilty as hell there.
    Nice cheesy "signing the papers" pose there guys!

A new Star Wars film in 2015? That's less than three years away, I hope they've already gotten started on it.

I also hope this means that we'll finally get unaltered versions of the Original Trilogy on Blu Ray.

Overall, I think this is pretty good news for the Star Wars franchise, which we all have to admit was dying a very slow death.

Oh. My. Maker!

I didn't see this coming. Does this mean that Disney could have Marvel and Star Wars potentially exist in the same universe? Clone Wars moves to the Disney Channel? Clone Wars ends? New movies?

I don't know how to feel about this. I'm not too fond of Disney after they actively went out of their way to throw the Power Rangers franchise under the bus when it was under their possession. I just hope these sequel movies they have plan actually have some substance to them and aren't just Star Wars movies for the sake that its Star Wars.

"we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years."

Wow... and collectors think it is expensive NOW to collect!

Malakite, I suspect Disney isn't going to treat a big ticket purchase like this the way they did Power Rangers, which was only a portion of that larger Saban purchase that they didn't even want to make all that badly in the first place. But if they don't see SW perform as expected, they do have to answer to a board and to investors where Lucas was the only voice that mattered before.

A new SW film every 2 to 3 years? Ugh, sounds like they're looking to water the brand down until it's the McDonalds of light sci-fi.

You know, maybe the D23 Expo has enough weight now to compete with Comic Con: Disney, Pixar, ABC, Marvel, Star Wars.