Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    30 years into the future mostly means that Luke has already sought out new Jedi. Which makes throwing out the post ROTJ EU an odd choice. They are just going to have to go back and fill in the blanks which were previously filled in, which they will. I understand the freedom and the clean slate needed for new movies, but honestly, what restrictions would they have had? Number of children and names of characters? Is it really that hard to incorporate to? I can see throwing out the entire Vong saga to bring back Chewie, and some of the bad novels, but for the most part it seems like a marketing ploy.

Off topic but I wonder where this EU/Clean Slate leaves stories like Shadows of the Empire?
    It's unlikely they do anything in the half of year between ESB and ROTJ. Unless they do, it doesn't make sense to junk it.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    30 years into the future mostly means that Luke has already sought out new Jedi. Which makes throwing out the post ROTJ EU an odd choice. They are just going to have to go back and fill in the blanks which were previously filled in, which they will. I understand the freedom and the clean slate needed for new movies, but honestly, what restrictions would they have had? Number of children and names of characters? Is it really that hard to incorporate to? I can see throwing out the entire Vong saga to bring back Chewie, and some of the bad novels, but for the most part it seems like a marketing ploy.

Off topic but I wonder where this EU/Clean Slate leaves stories like Shadows of the Empire?
    It's unlikely they do anything in the half of year between ESB and ROTJ. Unless they do, it doesn't make sense to junk it.
    In practice, it's really not that different from how it's always been – the EU story is the story unless a movie or TV show says otherwise. I mean, until LFL rewrites the history between ESB and ROTJ, there's nothing that says SOTE can't be what happened. They might adapt it into a movie or cartoon or they might rewrite it to better fit the new continuity or they might leave it alone altogether. And EU elements can still get adapted or adopted into the movie canon, just like it's always been; George has always seen the EU as entirely separate from his films and TV show, allowing it to pretty much do whatever, but he still brought some elements to his canon and ignored others, from ESB ignoring Splinter of the Mind's Eye to TCW altering characters' fates from the comics and novels. The EU fans treated the EU as gospel, but this "new" initiative sounds an awful lot like the old one.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

When I heard about Wedge not coming back my first thought was...ohh yeah Wedge. Then I thought "meh" he won't be in the films, no big deal either way.

JJL, you kinda echoed what Lawson said. He said he was willing to return, but the role as presented to him showed no growth in the character, so it probably was "flies a spaceship" or "sits in a meeting."

My point is that they have about forty years of EU that, even if they're not following anymore, they can look to as a guide to see what works and what doesn't. Focusing the spotlight on Wedge, a character who people like but who isn't developed at all in the films, is something that definitely works. But not in Episodes VII-IX, apparently.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I agree with Darth Metalmute. - also about SOTE, too.

That being said, does Luke have some cool Jedi in the EU that he's trained who are unrelated? (oops, I included his son and wife in the list and added this line after I wrote it)

Kyle Katarn (not really trained by Luke)
    Corran Horn
    Kam Solasar
    Tionne
    Sabo(?) the Barrabel (I think her children are born by this time too)
    Lowbacca, Chewie's nephew
    Tenel Ka (Jacen Solo's wife late in the EU)
    Allanah Solo (Jacen Solo's daughter - Han and Leia's grand-daughter - before she's even born at 30 years or 35 years post ROTJ)
    Kyp Durron - very important player and Han Solo's friend
    Mara Skywalker (almost goes without saying - especially if Luke has a son)
    Ben Skywalker (Luke's son)
    Zekk - one time sort-of Jaina Solo boyfriend, friend of Jacen's, Tenel's, and Lowbacca's too (most likely to go Dark Side)

There's the Bespin gas miner - forgot his name for the moment
    Kirana Ti (spelling - Dathomir Witch)

Some are interesting, some are not. Overwhelmingly human cast. They can discard many of these characters and NOT say they don't exist - they just don't need to be seen. So maybe they're off somewhere else? Kyle Katarn and Dark Forces even starts during the OT and crosses into video games just like SOTE does.

I did not list most of the NJO Jedi, post start of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion - they were either less remarkable, or the story focused on the OT main cast and the main post-Jedi EU Jedi listed above.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.