1 month old (recent) on Expanded Universe and SW future with Clone Wars, EU, Tim Zhan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUm0Lo6DL-E

I want to hear your opinions after viewing the above video with everyone from Clone Wars to Timothy Zhan chiming in about the EU - and information about the new Star Wars REBELS is included.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

It's an excellent perspective on the EU. There's some sentimentality, but mainly it's straightforward and logical (especially the continuity aspect; that to me is what makes the Expanded Universe so strong and less hokey than other franchises).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

To me, this felt like them making excuses for the clearcutting, saying "here's what we're going to do now, if you liked pre-Disney EU, then you'll really appreciate why we're gutting it all and starting over because we have the chance to do that again.

Brian Daley, Timothy Zahn, Alan Dean Foster, their work came before the big Lucas-driven attempt at alignment, and I wonder if they would want to undertake it again in this current atmosphere if it was their first time in the brand. Hell, Zahn went through a ton of frustration in the early '90s attempt at alignment before it really went nuts. But you look at how a creator like Karen Traviss got thrown under the bus, and it leads one to wonder how Disney will be able to attract creators in the future, and how smoothly storytelling there will be. One can only hope for the best.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I really don't know what happened to Karen Traviss.

About the time her clone books were coming out, my reading slowed as I was writing Buried Values and my reading centers around non-fiction research for my fiction novels.*

If someone could be so kind as to explain the Karen Traviss situation to me in detail here, I'd be very appreciative.

*I wanted to write Star Wars EU and NOT (originally) write such controversial stuff - but make it a point to research and align the originally established EU with compelling stories that connected the dots. I was less interested in creating my own new SW characters, than breaching inconsistencies (with great stories).

I wanted to do more with Kir Kanos, Baron Fel, the Clone Emperor plot (make it more plausible as I really didn't like that too much), and Thrawn, amongst others. I was very Sith and Imperial focused. And some of my ideas made it to the very top where I was included in discussions with good people in the licensees.

Here's the thing with Star Wars: - if I had published other books (say on the kitchen sink) with Del Rey, they'd "invite me" to write SW books as cross-advertising, so "all of you would be so impressed" that you'd make Del Rey MORE MONEY because you'd immediately rush out to buy my story about the kitchen sink, also published by Del Rey (but my invite would be pending Lucasfilm approval).

So I was encouraged to write my own thing.

Publishers don't want Civil War fiction. It's the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War (through 2015) and they lined up a limited amount of work well in advance of mine being ready. (And those authors had to wait a long time to recover their expenses and be paid, btw)

1 out of 60 (sixty) books will be historical fiction for a publisher - it's a smaller market. My CW fiction is 311 pages so it was done first. I was holding on to it with a lot of debt, wanting to gain cross-genre sales when my modern thriller was read (512 pages so it took longer for everything). The pub companies don't promote their new authors well (say my friends traditionally published who struggle). And the pubs only pay me 85% - then Barnes and Nobel or Amazon take another 30-40% off that.

I self-pub and have a lot of promo opportunities. (I'm getting back to SW ExU in this...)

I am VERY political and cynical about human nature. My novels have a common goal - to make everything reprehensible as worse as I can corrupt it. If anyone here ever thought I had a BAD ATTITUDE - wait until you get to know my characters and how the good ones turn bad and become the villains. It won't always go that way, but...

Though any author can change their style or be edited accordingly (if they want to be edited for controversial content), based on my writing style, I will NOT ever be invited to write for Star Wars now (never say never, but even if I become a best-seller, it wouldn't be my guess Disney would want work by me (not under a pen name at least) to be connected to their license.

Now, that is not saying I was not an extremely well-versed SW ExU expert. I used to read everything with only my video game knowledge / PRG too, lacking.

But "invited authors" may not be fanboys. OK - the term "fan boy" gets a bad rep. You conjur up the picture of "What if Luke Skywalker time-traveled and battled Count Dooku and General Grievous at the same time and then Darth Bane appeared riding on top of Godzilla and there was this nuclear bomb..." It's not necessarily going to be bad like that.

But an invited author might be struggling for the brand (Del Rey) and this is just "a gig" for them and they may not care - or want to write in their own characters (which worked when Zahn created even Jaina and Jacen Solo) but they are less likely "a student of the continuity."

The continuity made SW ExU special. We've seen Jedi die in the PT. Luke (never trained as well as an ORep Temple Jedi) could not have survived if he fought every day after the Death Star exploded at Yavin.

Han and Leia should marry (it's not one of my books, where they'd cheat on each other and then set to killing each other for money - and NO I was not going to write that for SW - I support their marriage and children). But the kids are consistent and grow up into Jedi - natural outcome for Skywalkers (Leia's birthright).

So a fan-boy with a serious chill-pill does make the best SW author. And there is definitely room for new characters so something is at risk. Eventually, Chewie, Lando, and the big 3 all should have died - somehow in passionate tragedy, too.

JJ could have them alive in the ST, but I think not focusing on Jaina and Ben (or whomever the kids are) in E7 is a mistake. His "fan-boy" needs a chill-pill since he so much wants to play with Han, Luke, and Leia (because he's around the same age as a lot of us here now and I'm sure it's his lifelong fantasy).

But Jaina, Ben, and Allanah (definitely include the grand-daughter with minor appearances until E9) should be represented and respected.

Some of the way I've interpreted the rumors with ExU selective cutting is that NJO is what's being messed with - and can even be explained to happen AFTER the ST perhaps - and thus "re-invent" NJO to take place 31-36 ABY instead of 25 years ABY.

I'd be less objecting to that.

Or, if instead of E7 being 30 years after ROTJ, it be 20 years after ROTJ. Could Harrison play Han at 53 instead of 63? Would be look that different? Alec Guiness was supposed to be about 56 in ANH but there are timeline inconsistencies with the movies as it is. (He's 24 in TPM? 37 by the end of ROTS)

But we can say living on Tattooine prematurely aged him....

In any case, without:

1) a continuity through the EU that doesn't have Luke fighting and surviving every single day ABY

2) a continuity that maintains the ExU that I grew up on and STAYED INTO SW WITH - Heir to the Empire, Young Jedi, Luke & Mara

I am out. I have my own thing going now (Buried Values) and don't really have time for it. Plus other author friends want me to read their unrelated work and I read tons of non-fiction for my research. And finally, as noted, I have tons of controversial stances in my own novels and I want to get "the other side to the story" out with my characters that see things differently from the POV I have thus far presented which some could find very distasteful - but that's the reality we live in and "not how it ought to be - politically correct or what-not."

We'll see what happens with SW and if the publishing arm of this universe can keep me. It will have to mean something to me in the first place for that to happen. See numbers 1 & 2 above.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    I really don't know what happened to Karen Traviss.

About the time her clone books were coming out, my reading slowed as I was writing Buried Values and my reading centers around non-fiction research for my fiction novels.*

If someone could be so kind as to explain the Karen Traviss situation to me in detail here, I'd be very appreciative.
    She had been writing extensively about Mandalorians and wasn't pleased with LFL's plans for them in TCW Season Two, presumably taking issue with the fact that they were portrayed as pacifists. She felt that the differences between her work and the series were too wide for retcons. (Of course, the series showed that the pacifism was tenuous at best and later had the culture returning to their warrior ways in Season Five.) That's pretty much all that's been said on the subject publicly. She was also mildly controversial among readers for putting a hard number of 3 million clones in the entire galaxy, which seemed low to many fans, among other similar quibbles. So it seemed that she wanted it her way or no way at all.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    But "invited authors" may not be fanboys. OK - the term "fan boy" gets a bad rep. You conjur up the picture of "What if Luke Skywalker time-traveled and battled Count Dooku and General Grievous at the same time and then Darth Bane appeared riding on top of Godzilla and there was this nuclear bomb..." It's not necessarily going to be bad like that.
    What, are you crazy? That sounds way better than at least 60% of EU books!
    Tommy, close your eyes.