Episode 8 Release Date Revealed

And it's only a year and a half after Ep 7:

May 26, 2017

As the article points out, that's 40 years and 1 day after the release of the original Star Wars. Now I feel old.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-o...s-episode-viii

The writer/director will be Rian Johnson, whom the article points out did an acclaimed episode of Breaking Bad (Ozymandias) and wrote/directed Looper - a semi-competent movie with an unfortunate script that left itself behind to tell an unrelated tale halfway through.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I just posted the news article a second ago.

Rian Johnson has spoken publicly about being the writer/director for a while now, but this is Lucasfilm and Disney's first acknowledgement of his involvement. He's also apparently writing Episode IX.

I'm glad that the series is returning to May—provided everything stays on schedule, of course. Yeah, it'll be weird having it so soon after Rogue One, but Marvel movies have come out pretty close to each other before.

Having it 40 years and one day after the original release is awesome, but they couldn't have moved it to the exact anniversary? May 26 is a Friday, so it makes sense, but they were so close...
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    What does Lucasfilm consider canon? Check the list!
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi

Thanks for posting the article, I was just about to do that right now.

He's only writing a first draft for Ep 9 (I'm going to stop using roman numerals for these so that people actually know what the hell movie I'm talking about, since they all kinda look alike after V) from what I've heard, and they haven't decided on anything after.

The May date is cool, and you're right, they could have just launched on a Thursday for the exact date, that was odd. Theaters rotate films out on Thursdays anyway.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I think one of SW's strengths was the fact that (contrary to the public opinion of over-exposure) its films and shows weren't so close together. Trek had TV series, films, cartoons out quite frequently. You had to wait for SW, and that built up the interest. This to me is too much too close. Two most recent SW films (Clone Wars, The Forced Awakening) have also detoured from the established May releases. Disney trying too hard to distance themselves from Lucas' standards?
    "I went to Star Wars Celebration VII in Anaheim, and I didn't get even a lousy t-shirt."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Disney trying too hard to distance themselves from Lucas' standards?
    I think they just want to make back their $4 billion as quickly as possible, so they're attempting to strike while the iron is hot.

Also, we don't really know yet how people are going to react to having so many Star Wars movies so close together; but it seems to have worked okay for the Harry Potter and LOTR/Hobbit franchises.

When you include the production budget and advertising campaigns for most "tentpole" movies, those films have to make at least $500 million in worldwide ticket sales just to break even. At the one movie every three years rate, and assuming that each film grosses at least $1 billion in ticket sales (which no Star Wars movie has ever done without the help of rereleases), that means that Disney would have to wait 24 years just to break even on their investment. I don't think Disney paid $4 billion dollars so that they would have to wait nearly a quarter of a century before seeing any profits.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

To me, what it sounds like is that Disney is trying to replace quality with quantity while repeating the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Star Wars was originally about a singular vision carefully crafting a storytelling experience, and now it's about young directors and writers that Disney hopes have the right idea - like a shotgun blast of talent.

BTW, adjusted for ticket sales, Star Wars: Ep 4 - ANH is the 2nd-most sold tickets of all time, Empire is 12th, ROTJ is 15th, TPM is 17th (whaaaaa?), The Avengers is 27th, ROTS is 60th, and AOTC is 87th. So if the intent is exposure that leads to ancillary sales, then George Lucas' Star Wars definitely has a much better track record than Disney's Marvel movies.