Hybrid View

Which characters could/should return for the new trilogy?

George has outlines, but they're still working on the story, so even though we know absolutely nothing about the new trilogy's plot, it's time to start the speculation. Even if it has nothing to do with the Skywalkers or their offspring, it's a good bet that the sequel trilogy (ST?) will at least have cameos from preexisting characters. In what capacity they should be used, or if they should be used at all, is up for debate - but who might they include?

*R2-D2 and C-3PO - Some people felt they were shoehorned into the PT, but I can't imagine films completely without them. Maybe it could be about their new owners? Anthony Daniels is always ready and willing to play C-3PO, too, though he may want to just do the voice by the time they go into production. They'd probably go with a mix of CGI and remote control for R2-D2, as they did on ROTS. Plus it's not like there's an aging factor to worry about with the droids.
    *Jedi Spirits - It's not outside the realm of possibility to have Hayden as Anakin, Yoda, Liam as Qui-Gon, or even Ewan (who mentioned his interest on Twitter) as Obi-Wan appear to the Jedi as spirits, even briefly.
    *Luke Skywalker - Mark Hamill also Tweeted his interest, and he mentioned at CV how George had asked him (I presumed it was a long time ago, but it could have been more recently) to appear in the sequel(s) and pass the torch to the new generation of Jedi. The trilogy doesn't have to be about him or his family, but I would like for him to make an appearance as a Jedi Master.
    *Leia Organa - With the established EU likely going out the window, the last we saw Leia, she had learned that she came from a family of Jedi but was hesitant about acknowledging her powers. Could she be on a reformed Jedi Council with Luke?
    *Han Solo - Harrison Ford has said he has no intent to return to play Han Solo, not finding him as interesting as Indiana Jones, but that was before the new movies were announced. With Episode VII coming seven years after Crystal Skull, I doubt he'd have an action-related role, but he could possibly appear.
    *Lando Calrissian - It seems they haven't given him a ton to do in the EU, but Billy Dee has done the voice for Robot Chicken and Detours, so it's possible he could appear in the actual films.
    *Chewbacca - Though he died in the EU, Chewie has turned up again in ROTS and TCW, with involvement from Peter Mayhew on both.
    *Clone Troopers/Stormtroopers - It could be interesting to see Temuera Morrison as an aged clone to see how they have reintegrated into society in peacetime, unless all the clones died by ROTJ.
    *Jar Jar Binks - I somehow doubt this.
    *Darth Maul - Even though he's alive on TCW, I assume he'll be killed by the end of the series, and I doubt they'll reintroduce him to the films.
    *Rebel Leaders - Wedge Antilles, Mon Mothma, and Admiral Ackbar could be involved in leading the new Republic. Hell, even Wicket could show up and blink for a few minutes.
    *Bounty Hunters - Darth Maul survived getting cut in half, so Boba Fett could surely survive the Sarlacc. We also don't know the fates of Cad Bane, Aurra Sing, or Asajj Ventress, so any of them (or any of the hunters from ESB) could appear as well.
    *Ahsoka Tano - Who knows? They might go nuts and have her survive the Clone Wars, only to reappear decades later to help the Jedi.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

MUSTS:
    - R2 and Threepio (it was once said, although it seems NOTHING that was said before was true or false or misleading or true or false or misleading or untrue, that the story of SW was to be told through their eyes)
    - Jedi (whether that's Luke and/or his descendants, or other Force users)

PROBABLIES:
    - Leia (she is basically the only female left that has a connection to the OT)
    - Sith (I think this makes more sense than continuing the Empire as the main baddies)
    - Chewbacca (even without Han, his age allows him to fit in anywhere)
    - some Rebels (like Wedge, Madine, Tycho, Nien, etc.)

NOS:
    - Boba Fett (let him live in the EU, but stay out of the DT [Disney Trilogy] please)
    - Han (his age in the EU stories always gets me; he must have an awesome physical trainer/steriods provider)
    - Lando (see Han's comments)
    - Ewoks (they served their purpose in ROJ)

COULD-CARE-LESSES:
    - Jar Jar
    - Ahsoka
    - Dash Rendar
    - Imperial officers

Expanded Universe Characters I Wouldn't Mind Seeing:
    - Thrawn
    - Solo children
    - Winter
    - Kyp Durron, Corran Horn
    - Mara Jade

Expanded Universe Characters I Would NOT Want Included:
    - Clone Emperor
    - Darth Cadeus
    - Lumiya
    - Yuuzhan Vong
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    *Luke Skywalker - Mark Hamill also Tweeted his interest, and he mentioned at CV how George had asked him (I presumed it was a long time ago, but it could have been more recently) to appear in the sequel(s) and pass the torch to the new generation of Jedi. The trilogy doesn't have to be about him or his family, but I would like for him to make an appearance as a Jedi Master.
    I completely disagree. For the new trilogy to be called Episode 7, 8, and 9; it has to be about Luke Skywalker and his family. There has to be a connection or they should start a new branch of Star Wars. Compare it to Star Trek. When Kirk was out of the picture, it became ST: Next Generation and ST: Deep Space Nine. Even Star Wars uses Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic.

While I would love the Thrawn Trilogy, as long as they keep it in the family, I will probably be okay with it. However, as soon as Cade Skywalker makes an appearance, I'm out.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Jaxxon

Teek

In all seriousness, I want Jar Jar. No joke. Even if he's long dead and it's a line about his legacy. We're owed a payoff, story-wise, for his bullcrap in TPM. He was set up to be a prankster figure, potentially beginning his own Campbell-style hero's journey, and we never got anything because Lucas flaked when fans hated the character. He needed to either save the galaxy or die a hero in ROTS, and we were cheated out of that.

I'm not joking. He sucks, but he was intended to grow out of it. Unfortunately, the character never matured. He got more authority as a senator, but he was still the same twit who stepped in poop as a gag.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Jaxxon

Teek

In all seriousness, I want Jar Jar. No joke. Even if he's long dead and it's a line about his legacy. We're owed a payoff, story-wise, for his bullcrap in TPM. He was set up to be a prankster figure, potentially beginning his own Campbell-style hero's journey, and we never got anything because Lucas flaked when fans hated the character. He needed to either save the galaxy or die a hero in ROTS, and we were cheated out of that.

I'm not joking. He sucks, but he was intended to grow out of it. Unfortunately, the character never matured. He got more authority as a senator, but he was still the same twit who stepped in poop as a gag.
    The "payoff" within TPM is the fact that he leads Padmé to unite the humans and Gungans, bringing peace to their cultures and helping to repel the Trade Federation.

Looking broader than that, he did grant Palpatine the powers to authorize the Clone Wars - though it was a short scene in the film, the importance of that can't really be overlooked, even though they never followed up on Jar Jar's role in ROTS. So maybe the ramifications of his actions - especially after Palpatine became Emperor - would be interesting to get into.

But Jar Jar authorizing Palpatine is another example of him being a bumbling fool--playing right into the villain's hands, and even talking like a half-wit ("dellow felegates").
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    But Jar Jar authorizing Palpatine is another example of him being a bumbling fool--playing right into the villain's hands, and even talking like a half-wit ("dellow felegates").
    To a point, but granting ultimate emergency powers to the most evil Sith lord of all time is a little different than stepping in bantha poodoo or having rude table manners.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't have led to something more, or that it still couldn't, but I'm saying that it already does lead to at least something of significance.