Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55
  1. #41
    While it's not officially confirmed, it looks like Mara Jade has made the cut and will appear in Episode 7.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    While it's not officially confirmed, it looks like Mara Jade has made the cut and will appear in Episode 7.
    Say whaaa? Where are you seeing this? The only similar thing I see is this Furious Fanboys speculative list of EU elements that ostensibly could show up in the sequels, but it's just a discussion on their part.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

  3. #43
    I saw it on yahoo's front page in an article about Disney green lighting 3 spinoff movies. It talked about how Abrams has a clean slate but would likely use Mara Jade.

    I also read a rumor that Mara will appear at some point in "Rebels", but I'll believe that when I see it. (That one appears to be about 5 months old.)
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

  4. #44
    OK, I love Mara Jade.

    But the character is iconic as she appeared in HTTE (Thrawn Trilogy) in her 20's. She is 1-2 years younger (or older) than Luke - depending upon sources.

    If you recollect in Clone Wars, Mustafar - before Obi-Wan fought Darth Vader there - was also a secret facility that Cad Bane brought Force-sensitive children to.

    It was not the only facility. Palpatine wanted Dark Side Force users to be at his beckon. No doubt Mara was one of them, her being about the same age as when Luke was born.

    This is fine if she appears in the between movies. - As her iconic 20-something self (as in Rebels and spin-off movies). Ian McDiarmid could reprise his role for the spin-off. And they could get Ewan McGreggor back. Or if it's close to ANH, have that new guy Van-something play Obi-Wan again.

    In any event, Mara can be Luke's red-head son's mother (actor Gleeson, playing Luke's son / Jedi Apprentice with red hair who does not look like Mark Hamill), but please have Mara dead already.

    It's a mistake to cast her first appearance as a 50 year old. Unless Ben Skywalker sees a hologram of his mother in her 20's...

    I WANT THE EU ACKNOWLEDGED FOR SURE!

    Yes, Mara is Luke's wife and formerly the Emperor's Hand, and Ben Skywalker's mother. No she does not need to be in E7. She can be dead already.

    Between movie please!

    EU I want:

    Luke's son named Ben.

    Jaina Solo

    Top of my list ^^^

    The core concepts of the EU would be smart for JJ to embrace. I never never never said re-tell any of those stories. Just say the good ones happened.

    Unfortunately, Chewie is somehow still alive. But if the movie is 30 years after ANH, Chewie could be alive.

    He died 35 years after ANH. or 31 years after ROTJ.

    It does not interfere with the EU at all! - and some of you should read that sentence a couple of times <<<<<
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    I saw it on yahoo's front page in an article about Disney green lighting 3 spinoff movies. It talked about how Abrams has a clean slate but would likely use Mara Jade.

    I also read a rumor that Mara will appear at some point in "Rebels", but I'll believe that when I see it. (That one appears to be about 5 months old.)
    Yahoo News isn't a very strong source, or at least isn't likely to have information that other outlets wouldn't. Mara Jade is just the most well-known EU character and one of the most significant, so if Lucasfilm is going to use at least elements of any EU character, it could be her (or Thrawn, who already seems to have given some character traits to the Inquisitor). So speculation is going to focus on characters like her. If they're going to adapt any of her stories, I wouldn't mind seeing her Emperor's Hand days portrayed somewhere, but if they bring her into Episode VII (unlikely but possible) then they'll have to explain why Jedi can marry now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    Unfortunately, Chewie is somehow still alive. But if the movie is 30 years after ANH, Chewie could be alive.

    He died 35 years after ANH. or 31 years after ROTJ.

    It does not interfere with the EU at all! - and some of you should read that sentence a couple of times <<<<<
    Nope, Vector Prime takes place 25 years after ANH, or 21 after ROTJ. Episode VII takes place around 34-39 years after ANH, based on what we've heard ("around 30 years after ROTJ" coming from the press release, around "35 years later" coming from Alan Horn's offhand comments). So Chewie's already at least nine years past his EU expiration date.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

  6. #46
    Whoops. I'm wrong then. Goofed on Chewie's expiration date. You are correct.

    As to Jedi marrying?

    In the EU, Luke changed that. First because he didn't know a lot about KOTOR and he was a lonely character that yearned for Cammie, then Leia (before he knew) - and then a handful of women in the EU and it didn't work out until Mara.

    The no marrying part, does not mean even the Old Republic Jedi did not have sex out of wedlock. Offspring were always possible - hence some rumors that Obi-Wan has descendants. Obviously, even in "cannon," he was with Duchess Satine - and leave the details of this discussion alone. [I support naturalism and not repressed religious values creating some kind of "how certain people want a child-sanitized SW to appeal to their agenda or deficiencies."]

    But that leaves us with the possibility that Mara is Luke's son's mother (hopefully named Ben) - and Ben is Luke's apprentice [I'd like this]

    and Mara (the mother with her history intact) is or is not Luke's wife.

    I'd prefer all the above, but she be dead, KIA. Bring her back in the movies for a debut in her 20's. We've had old Aunt Beru and seen Jocasta Nu in battle now (in CW, but as a changeling - not really her).

    While old ladies can be cool (Mon Mothma), let's just not debut Mara Jade in the movies this way!

    But yes, I want it stated that Ben's mother's name was Mara and Luke misses her.

    One last thing, if Chewie never died, then at least NJO never happened (if they're cherry-picking EU).

    Thus the Thrawn Trilogy could be loosely considered "as having happened," and NJO did not. Disappointing actually since I loved NJO.

    But that still leaves Han's daughter as Jaina Solo (Daisy Ridley) either way.

    But Ben Skywalker was born during NJO. Though again, it still makes sense that Luke might name his son Ben.

    He knew Obi-Wan as Ben.

    Now he could name his kid Luke, Jr.

    or Luuke Skywalker.

    And I've always been a fan of Bartholomew Skywalker, or Herbert Skywalker, Horace Skywalker, Mustafa Skywalker, Egbert Skywalker, Snuffalluf***us Skywalker, Bubba Skywalker....there are a handful of good names to choose from in case EU-haters absolutely abhor the name Ben Skywalker because it makes absolutely no sense to them.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    f they're going to adapt any of her stories, I wouldn't mind seeing her Emperor's Hand days portrayed somewhere, but if they bring her into Episode VII (unlikely but possible) then they'll have to explain why Jedi can marry now.
    Technically, they don't have to explain anything. That's the benefit of having Episode 7 take place thirty years after ROTJ and 50 years after the "Jedi can't marry rule" was last relevant. I'm sure after the Jedi were killed off, that rule would have been demolished in order to re-establish a "race" in the thirty years between ROTJ and EP7; especially considering the sequel trilogy will focus on Luke and Leia's children, which would have already been born, breaking that rule. Secondly, I'm pretty sure that the history books explained that the downfall of the Republic was largely in part a result of "forbidden love". Also, they are going to fill in the 30 years between the time with novels to solve any inaccuracies between the trilogies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    And I've always been a fan of Bartholomew Skywalker, or Herbert Skywalker, Horace Skywalker, Mustafa Skywalker, Egbert Skywalker, Snuffalluf***us Skywalker, Bubba Skywalker....there are a handful of good names to choose from in case EU-haters absolutely abhor the name Ben Skywalker because it makes absolutely no sense to them.
    What about Homer Skywalker or Mickey Skywalker? Flynn Skywalker? Olaf?
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

  8. #48
    That's it, Metalmute!

    For those EU haters that don't want to see any remnant of a part of fandom they could not personally embrace.

    We've named Luke's son just for them:

    Homer-Olaf-Skywalker!

    It's perfect and can just barely fit across the coffin blister on a Hasbro figure card bubble.

    Not only that, in the movie, they can call him by his initials: H.O.S. - pronounced "Hoss!"

    "There was nothing you could have done, had you been there, Hoss."

    "Get back to the ship, Hoss!"

    "Use the Force, Hoss."

    Man, I can now throw away 20-some years of SW comic and book collecting because Star Wars is rebooting the EU and given us The Hoss!

    "No Hoss. I am your father!"

    "They call me Hoss! I'm here to rescue you!"

    "Give yourself to the Dark Side, Hoss."

    Yes, EU-Haters, have we ever uncovered the character for you.

    And let's rename Han Solo's daughter while we're at it:

    Bronwynn Solo

    This is a real girl's name. Bronwynn. I looked it up.

    So we have BRONWYNN SOLO - that's complete B.S.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  9. #49
    Evidently not Wedge.

    What troubles me isn't the ditching of the EU (at least not entirely). It's the utter failure to learn from what worked in the EU and didn't. Old Luke and Leia worked in the books because they aged differently from Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. Boba Fett is garbage when you try to expand on him. And, most importantly, Wedge is a far more interesting character post-ROTJ because he doesn't have much baggage from the films. Denis Lawson told reporters he was asked to return but didn't because the role as proposed doesn't expand upon the character. So, yeah, what's the point?

    Every bit of news about this new "Star Wars" trilogy makes me more and more indifferent toward it. At this point, I'm not even sure I'd take the time to see it at a bargain matinee. I hope they can change my mind, but I'm not sure how.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Evidently not Wedge.

    What troubles me isn't the ditching of the EU (at least not entirely). It's the utter failure to learn from what worked in the EU and didn't. Old Luke and Leia worked in the books because they aged differently from Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. Boba Fett is garbage when you try to expand on him. And, most importantly, Wedge is a far more interesting character post-ROTJ because he doesn't have much baggage from the films. Denis Lawson told reporters he was asked to return but didn't because the role as proposed doesn't expand upon the character. So, yeah, what's the point?

    Every bit of news about this new "Star Wars" trilogy makes me more and more indifferent toward it. At this point, I'm not even sure I'd take the time to see it at a bargain matinee. I hope they can change my mind, but I'm not sure how.
    Wedge was never a main character in the films, so why should that start now? For all we know, the new film was going to have Wedge piloting in a battle like in the EU and Lawson just didn't want to do that again. (Or they could have dramatized one of his three retirements.) Since they did have a role for him, I have to wonder if they'll recast or just cut the character entirely. It's still possible that he'll appear in VIII or IX, though. And I don't see how there's been an "utter failure" to learn from the EU when we know nothing about the content of the film.

    Though I love that one of people's complaints about the prequels was that there were too many OT characters. Now they're complaining that there aren't ENOUGH OT characters in the sequels.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute
    Technically, they don't have to explain anything. That's the benefit of having Episode 7 take place thirty years after ROTJ and 50 years after the "Jedi can't marry rule" was last relevant. I'm sure after the Jedi were killed off, that rule would have been demolished in order to re-establish a "race" in the thirty years between ROTJ and EP7; especially considering the sequel trilogy will focus on Luke and Leia's children, which would have already been born, breaking that rule. Secondly, I'm pretty sure that the history books explained that the downfall of the Republic was largely in part a result of "forbidden love". Also, they are going to fill in the 30 years between the time with novels to solve any inaccuracies between the trilogies.
    It's been a while since the rule was relevant, but it was pretty darn relevant – it led to the end of the Jedi Order! Even in the OT, Obi-Wan and Yoda seem pretty against attachment, urging Luke to complete his training and let his friends die. They could just offhandedly mention how Luke's Jedi Order is different from the old one, how it's more focused on selfless compassion since that's what brought Anakin back, or something. I don't think Luke and Leia are going to repopulate the Order by themselves – then it'd just be a bunch of Skywalkers and nobody else. Children are still going to be born with Force abilities (Star Wars Rebels is showing this with Ezra) and it will likely be Luke's job to seek them out. And it's not been confirmed that the series will focus on their children – it's looking likely that Han and Leia have a daughter based on the casting, but that speculation is really all we have to go off of for now.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO