Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Back in 1st! Raise the Jolly Roger! Arr!
    So I just checked the standings and unless the Pirates go 2-23 in their final 25 games of the season they will finally have a winning season. Mazel tov!

81 wins. I repeat, in larger, black and gold font:

81 wins!!!

Twenty years is a long time to wait for a winner; my entire life as an Internet contributor has been without a winning (or even average) Pirates team in existence. Keep it going, Buccos! Arr!!
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    81 wins. I repeat, in larger, black and gold font:

81 wins!!!

Twenty years is a long time to wait for a winner; my entire life as an Internet contributor has been without a winning (or even average) Pirates team in existence. Keep it going, Buccos! Arr!!
    Lets save that for 1 more win.

I heard that the family of Roberto Clemente hoped that the losing-record streak would not get to 21 years, so that his jersey number wouldn't be attached to such a terrible feat. A 2013 World Series banner in the 21st season since would be a lovely tribute (too soon to hope?).

Would love to see a Detroit - Pittsburgh World Series.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Lets save that for 1 more win.
    And then some. Back in first! Time to make a statement on this 11-game home stand, before the last 6 on the road.

Like a horserace with St. Louis: back and forth between up 1, down 1, even in the Central. And Cincy is still lurking like a non-registered SSG guest on the boards.

We need more International Talk-Like-A- days! God was favor of the Padres the past three games against the Seven Seas Sailers, but today they get a win. Now the Buccos get three against the Reds to close out their home games for the season, then six on the road to end the year (3 @ Chicago, 3 @ Cincy). The other Central teams? St. Louis has 3 in Milwaukee (c'mon JJB's squad! ), and a home stand to end it with the Sens and Cubbies. Cincy is home to the Mets in between the Pittsburgh games. Gotta root for the Brew Crew and Metropolitans!

That's two gut-wrenching 9th-inning losses this week. Pirates used to be money with their bullpen; maybe it's time to re-insert Grilli in the closer spot, with Melancon back as set-up man. The Buccs really need these last two home games, then it's on to the Windy and Queen Cities to see if Pittsburgh is playoff-worthy.

I am enjoying your enthusiasm Bel-Cam.

I have no feelings one way or the other for the Pirates, but it's nice to see a former underdog climb up the ladder.

I still think it's going to be Atlanta vs Boston.

In other news, I went to Friday and Saturday night Padres games with the visiting Dodgers. We won on Friday when LA just put in their 2nd stringers. Huston Street struck out Matt Kemp to end the game.

Then they played their regulars on Saturday and shut us out 4-0 (Kershaw was pitching).

I heard Grienke pitched today but I've been working on my novels and ignored baseball and football though I heard the Chargers lost to Tennessee.

I will check the Padres' score here.... Loss 1-0. L.A. got one run in the 7th as Andrew Cashner pitched really well for us. He throws 104 and we got him from the Cubs for Anthony Rizzo. I think it was our best trade in recent years.

We got Clayton Richard in part of the deal for Jake Peavy and that worked out pretty well, but I'd rather have Peavy.

For Adrian Gonzales, we got Rizzo who got us Cashner. Overall, if we kept Peavy and kept Gonzalez we'd be doing much better.

Meanwhile, we still have Chase Headley but he screwed up grabbing a ball bare-handed on Saturday and I had to sit there and listen to the Dodgers fans make fun of him (and Jesus Guzman who dropped a fly ball to left field). I can't stand Dodgers fans and they shouldn't let them visit my stadium! They're the worst, but when we play L.A., all the fans drive to S.D. and sell out all our seating. I mean the stadium approaches its capacity of 45,000.

I wish there were 45,000 Padres fans.

Just by comparison, and by real example, you get assaulted and stabbed if you wear a rival team's colors to Chavez Canyon (Dodger country).
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.