Hybrid View

Star Wars: The Ultimate Action Figure Collection: 35 Years of Characters

I pre-ordered this from Amazon a while back. I just got the e-mail saying it has shipped. I am looking forward to seeing what it is like. I really enjoyed the Action Figure Archive, which helped me out a lot when I first started collecting since I had gotten a late start on the POTF2 line. I'm hoping this will be a nice, handy reference I can use without having to look up one of the online archives.

This is on my list (LISTS... :drool: ) of to-buy books, which puts it only slightly ahead of my to-read pile of books on my shelf (now at 5).

I am slowly getting through the SW Essential Reader's Companion, which is worth it just for the breakdown of EVERY EU story it seems, and the timeline of stories (both by chronology AND publication).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I'm very interested to learn how up-to-date it will be (through the 2012 figures, I'd imagine - but maybe Hasbro allowed some sneak-peeks at 2013?)

Wouldn't that be a marketing boost ploy! (See 'em before Toy Fair 2013!)

I think now is a good time for this.

There are few characters from the movies that can be added to the line who have never been made before.

If Darth Vader has a new figure in 2014, I'm not really interested in seeing him.

However in 2015, the new Disney Star Wars characters will come out starting it all over with Episode 7.

So now is good timing for this book. There's very little "new" we'll see between now and the next 2 years, except for my hopes that new Padme figures are made, and Clone Wars adds the Senators and characters like Riff Tamsen and the Trandoshan bounty hunters which might not make it into this book if they make it into the toy isles later.

So this guide should be really good until 2015. Nice purchase MSP.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I am slowly getting through the SW Essential Reader's Companion, which is worth it just for the breakdown of EVERY EU story it seems, and the timeline of stories (both by chronology AND publication).
    I noticed that on Amazon recently, so I just decided to order that tonight since I was ordering some other things. I have the Comic Companion, but haven't really looked at that one much yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I'm very interested to learn how up-to-date it will be (through the 2012 figures, I'd imagine - but maybe Hasbro allowed some sneak-peeks at 2013?)

Wouldn't that be a marketing boost ploy! (See 'em before Toy Fair 2013!)

I think now is a good time for this.

There are few characters from the movies that can be added to the line who have never been made before.

If Darth Vader has a new figure in 2014, I'm not really interested in seeing him.

However in 2015, the new Disney Star Wars characters will come out starting it all over with Episode 7.

So now is good timing for this book. There's very little "new" we'll see between now and the next 2 years, except for my hopes that new Padme figures are made, and Clone Wars adds the Senators and characters like Riff Tamsen and the Trandoshan bounty hunters which might not make it into this book if they make it into the toy isles later.

So this guide should be really good until 2015. Nice purchase MSP.
    I agree that it is good timing. It should have everything through the Vintage Collection line, so it would be a good cut-off point since, as you say, there won't be much between now and and the new movies that has not been done before.

I've also been starting to take pictures of my photos so that I can make my own personal action figure archive, so perhaps the book will help with that and maybe give me some ideas.

Didn't check my mail yesterday, but I stopped to pick it up on my way to work and saw that the book had arrived. It is arranged alphabetically by character. This would have come in useful when I was trying to do the character by character thread.

The book seems to cover all of the most recent Vintage Collection line. It does not show every release, but appears to have pretty much every significant repaint or variation. It does not have a lot of detail on each figure like the Rebelscum archives do. It has the year it was release, the line it was from, and if applicable, the set it was from or figure it was packed with.

I think I found at least one error, though. The entry for Yoda that came with the 2005 Jedi vs. Sith battle pack says it is a repaint of the figure that came with Chian. However, the photo looks like a repaint of the 2004 OTC figure.

I've been reading both books (see above). Main disappointment (which I expected, considering the publishers differ) in UAFC is the lack of ID numbers (like the Tomart guide's CA**** or CT*** ones). At least Sansweet mentions variants, and sometimes even puts in pictures of them.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(