Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article: 'Star Wars' Producer Rick McCallum Quietly Retired from Lucasfilm

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

This announcement makes me about 250% more optimistic about the upcoming trilogy.

LOL, BigB. less see CGI and more actors in costumes?

You have got to be f***in' kidding me!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    LOL, BigB. less see CGI and more actors in costumes?
    I don't think the use of CGI was McCallum's call. Pretty sure that was all George Lucas. Besides, CGI in films is here to stay, it's not going away anytime soon.

Just look at all of the films that have grossed over $1 billion in worldwide ticket sales: Avatar, Titanic, The Avengers, Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows Part 2, Transformers Dark of the Moon, Return of the King, Dark Knight Rises, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Toy Story 3, POTC: On Stranger Tides, Episode 1, Alice in Wonderland (2010), The Dark Knight. Every single one of those films relied very heavily on computer generated effects and if you look at the top 100 highest grossing films of all time, you will see that a majority of them are very CGI heavy.

People may complain a lot about CGI, but there seems to be no better way to drive massive audiences to theaters in droves.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Jeebus has answered our prayers... just 14 years too late.

The Dark Knight did not rely heavily on CGI, it had only around 650 shots with CGI in them, and most of those were merely wire and rig removal, as well as shots focusing on Harvey Dent's ruined face.

CG is not the enemy in and of itself. Poor or overused CG is.

Exhibit A, and not just because I think the show is awesome. Pay especially close attention to Richard Harrow's face a few minutes in (he's the one with half his face burned off, sort of like a more realistic Two-Face); I thought it was an especially good makeup job until I saw this video.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Hmm, I dunno, in that youtube clip anyway it looked heavy-handed to excess. That's the thing, I've seen tons of great CGI effects in films, but there's far too often this need to just take it beyond what's necessary into what's flashy and shiny and big to the point where it only serves to take the viewer out of the film either by impossibility or by overkill. Eps 2 and 3 especially seemed to prove that excessive use of CGI can swing the power too far away from the actors, so that they are merely puppets for the director - Alec Guinness was nominated for an Oscar for his performance in ANH because he was able to be in the moment and interact with the world around him being portrayed, there was no oddness with greenscreen environments and actors most of the time the way the PT suffered - I cannot think of a single PT performance that was Oscar-nomination-worthy, or even noteworthy for being good in any way.

When they point it out, yes, it seems quite a bit. In watching the show, though, it's unnoticeable.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Wow, I was wondering what role (if any) he'd have in E7. I'm going to text 2-1B the news right now.