Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm inspired to respond to BigBarada (above) and haven't read JT's statement at this moment. Just trying not to lose my thoughts.

I liked the idea of transitioning to OT ships by AOTC / ROTS. I think the militaries of SW could be shown constantly evolving. (Totally agree with you about the coolness of the AT-TEs. I wanted a toy the moment I saw it - completely falling for Lucas' merchandising trap but enjoying the journey like most of us here.)

AOTC saw Slave-One arrive - which is great beause some ship should not transition, like you still see old Buicks and Oldsmobiles now and then on the freeway.

Landspeeders and taxis wouldn't change much. The triangular shape of Jedi starfighters and Republic assault cruisers was an enjoyable addition.

Also the Correllian Systems Engineering ships with the rows of horizontal engines like the blockade runner were great to see since Episode One's Radiant 7 and Palpatine's diplomatic cruiser.

Now the Trade Federation converting those ring-like freighters to assault and invasion carriers was a great and creative idea that would be very plausible considering what they were and how their military plans were evolving.

I need not mention the walkers again, but in the comics, AT-ATs out of Balmorra were also deployed as early as the time they were using AT-TEs. That also made sense. I think the flatter ones were more practical on Geonosis terrain for better balance and lower anti-personnel guns good for fighting battle droids on foot.

I think we didn't see (Republic) gunships on Hoth because it was too cold and on Endor because there were too many trees. But I'm sure the Empire still had them. They said the speederbikes on Endor were really old.

Because of the toy's features (CW release versions) I'd like it if they'd said the ROTS Jedi Starfighters actually were the Delta starfighters of E2 / CW after they had been hit and refitted for service, with parts missing. In all honesty, the ROTS versions looked to be better, more maneuverable ships than the AOTC types and the EU says they are actually made by different (fictional) manufacturing companies. Lucas just wanted more triangular ships like star destroyers I suppose. But AOTC did have star destroyers at the end at any rate.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Yet ROTJ is the first film in Star Wars where you can see actors eyes inside the eyeholes of the alien masks - the Gamorrean, red Nikto, and Barada masks fall short here. So money was certainly anything but no object. Ideas however, in ROTJ, were in no short supply, and for every piece of concept art that succeeds you have a piece that looks torn from the pages of a '70s-era Heavy Metal magazine - Jabba alone has some of the most unusable and visually offensive ideas sketched out.
    Actually, one of the things that I liked so much about the Gamorrean Guard and Barada was that you could see the actor's eyes under the mask. It just added an extra level of humanity to the characters and it's probably one of the reasons that I consider those two species to be the #1 and #2 greatest alien designs in all of cinema (not just the best Star Wars designs).

Dud Bolt, really??? Sebulba is a relatively straightforward design with the challenge of "front to back jobs for limbs", but Dud Bolt is just a warthog crossed with a platypus to me, he's just seems silly and cartoonish, second in that scene only to Ben Quadinaros. Like, how does Dud Bolt keep that head supported, how does he get those clothes on over that giant noggin and beak, how does he see anything ahead of him (you know, kinda important for a racer)? Whenever I see him those things jump out at me first thing, I can get past some aliens like Sebulba and Jar Jar and Gasgano, but Dud Bolt stops me in my tracks. What about him appeals to you so much, if you can put it into words?
    I don't know, it's just his Saturday-morning-cartoon goofiness that appeals to me so much. Whimsy is a quality that is far too underused in modern, cinematic alien design and Dud Bolt has plenty of whimsy to him.

Funny you should say that, in my collection so far, the AT-TE in real life is actually less stable than the AT-AT. When you look at industrial equipment and designs that inspired those two vehicles, the AT-AT is based on big stuff like elephants and cargo cranes, while the AT-TE is based on tiny stuff like bugs. My AT-TE has dumped itself once and flipped itself over once, my AT-AT has never fallen.
    It's the lower profile and sleeker design for one, which makes it less of a target. Plus the 360 blaster coverage, whereas the AT-AT can only shoot in the direction that the head is pointed. Finally, the six legs just make the vehicle seem more stable, less top-heavy, and less likely to be tripped. The smaller footprint of the AT-TE "feet" would make it more all-terrain than the AT-AT, also.

I like everything BigBarada had to say in his post immediately above.

Gamorrean Guard is obviously based on a pig, and Klatoonians are based on bulldogs.

Dud Bolt is some kind of mix of a dog and a crocodile, and yes he is Saturday morning whimsy. His species could have reappeared in Clone Wars quite comfortably - maybe instead of adding that silly "colonel's" species - and a smaller (whatever Dud Bolt is) might have fit inside a completely hollowed-out astromech as well, though the snout might be a tight fit - so he might have used some kind of miniature gunner's chair inside the R4 unit. Pod racing species are small and the Gran (Mohawnic) that races is a midgit for his species if you look at Ainlee Teem or Rey-Yees.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Actually, one of the things that I liked so much about the Gamorrean Guard and Barada was that you could see the actor's eyes under the mask. It just added an extra level of humanity to the characters and it's probably one of the reasons that I consider those two species to be the #1 and #2 greatest alien designs in all of cinema (not just the best Star Wars designs).
    Let me restate what I meant because I don't think I explained it well enough before, the actors' eyes aren't my problem with the masks, it's the open space around the eyes that's my problem. The masks are poorly blended to the actors, it's very much "mask mask mask PERSON INSIDE!", there's a bit of a gap and makeup issue on both of those masks. Also, after Sideshow did their 1:6 Gamorrean figure, it became obvious to my eye how ridiculous that appliance is, the sculpt on the Gam is really good but the eyes are so ridiculously narrow and set so far back that they're useless, they can hardly see past their noses, it's a bit too much of a compromise - the film gets away with it at first blush because you're in the moment, but it doesn't hold up under scrutiny as well.

I don't know, it's just his Saturday-morning-cartoon goofiness that appeals to me so much. Whimsy is a quality that is far too underused in modern, cinematic alien design and Dud Bolt has plenty of whimsy to him.
    Alright. An interesting reason, I find it to cross the line for the very same reason. Surely TPM isn't light on whimsy though.

It's the lower profile and sleeker design for one, which makes it less of a target. Plus the 360 blaster coverage, whereas the AT-AT can only shoot in the direction that the head is pointed. Finally, the six legs just make the vehicle seem more stable, less top-heavy, and less likely to be tripped. The smaller footprint of the AT-TE "feet" would make it more all-terrain than the AT-AT, also.
    Except for height, it's in every way a larger target. From in front, from above, and from the side the AT-TE is a wide target. Also, while the legs should make it less unstable, the legs being cambered puts much more stress on the joints than the straight legs of the AT-AT where the stress is distributed evenly across the joint.

I would give you that the top cannon and rear turrets on the AT-TE should make it less vulnerable, but somehow the AT-AT's intentionally-designed vulnerability seems to make it seem that much more threatening - the Imperials are so confident it's going to kick *** that they don't even bother putting offensive weapons onto the sides or back or top or bottom, just the front. Also, the AT-TE's top cannon being a manned cannon with NO protection for its gunner makes it somewhat mediocre as a defensive weapon.

I'd say the lower stance of the AT-TE makes it more vulnerable to large terrains where the AT-AT in theory could clear those areas, but we've never really had a chance to see either used in a rough enough terrain to judge.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    I agree, lets keep things (somewhat) believable.
    This is Star Wars. It's Fantasy. That ship sailed way back in 1977.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

No, it stuck around for about a year before Krelman killed it with his weird head-funnel thing.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    This is Star Wars. It's Fantasy. That ship sailed way back in 1977.
    That is a lazy way to look at it, IMO. That type of thinking gives rise to my aforementioned breakdancing rainbows and creatures that walk via their teeth, there has to be some recognizability and limitations within reason for it to resonate.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

That is a lazy way to look at it, IMO. That type of thinking gives rise to my aforementioned breakdancing rainbows and creatures that walk via their teeth, there has to be some recognizability and limitations within reason for it to resonate.
    I agree, it's a cop-out to think that "it's fantasy" can explain away lazy filmmaking and concept design.

I think the strength of the original Star Wars was that they really worked hard to make everything look like it could exist in the real world. We all knew it was fantasy, but it felt real onscreen.

As is often the case, I am agreeing with BigBarada, but I don't see how giant insects ridden by characters like how Obi-Wan rode Boga or the Sandtroopers ride Kaadus is such a big deal?

Perhaps many fans and especially kids won't question whether large insects can support such body weight?

The Mustafar Lava flea and Geonosian Arena Acklay are two such examples already shown.

Now maybe Ben Skywalker can hop around on a giant grasshopper or something. Jaina Solo could ride a butterfly like Wookiees were shown riding the cancels on Kashyyyk (I think - they go by so fast that it was hard to tell if their were riders, but the Yoda figure came with one from a deleted scene I imagine - and in Clone Wars animated, Anakin and Ahsoka rode one).

I'm just saying:

giant reptiles - repeats the dewback, reek, rontos, Faambas, and Boga, amongst others.

giant mammals - or medium sized ones - repeats TaunTauns, Eopies, Falumpasets, Banthas.

giant sea creatures - maybe the aiwas? Kaminoans are shown riding them - and they seem to be amphibious and very much like thrantas.

The last brings up giant avians. Reptilian avians were show on Utopau, and in cartoon form on Onderon, and elsewhere.

I think insects - as well as maybe avians - and definitely aquatic animals (non-reptilian) are under-represented.

I would just like to see it kept fresh by adding something new that would be memorable (for any new planets we visit).

If we go back to Tatooine - again (?!) - we sure can and should have banthas, rontos, eopies, etc.

As to vehicles? We've seen everything. They can just update 'em. The K-Wing Bomber (expanded universe) is an excellent continuation of the ARC-170, Z-95, X-wing format of fighter. Man I'd love to see K-wings! (look 'em up on Star Wars Wookieepedia - you should love this design. It's so Star Wars-z!)