Hybrid View

Article: The Force is with Netflix in deal for Disney movies, including 'Star Wars'

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

That is stunning, Netflix having exclusive rights to the online distribution of Star Wars, as well as great Disney movies (I've been jonesing to see 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea lately) is quite a coup.

This doesn't entirely make sense to me, but I suppose I'll go along with it. While Lucasfilm owns ESB and ROTJ, I always believed the original was still controlled by 20th Century Fox. This raises a lot of questions for me if Disney was able to exclusive offer streaming rights for the films. Hmm....

Lucas bought the rights to ANH back from Fox a while back, now all Fox has are the permanent ANH distribution rights (their distribution rights to all the sequels expires in 7 years). I don't know if Disney did a deal getting Fox to let them use those distribution rights in this Netflix deal, or if digital distribution was somehow not in Fox's perpetuity distribution deal.

Netflix seemed to be completely in the toilet just a year ago.

Really not digging the exclusive rights thing, not just in this instance. Having to sign up for multiple services is completely contrary to what the nature of the interwebs should be. Senator Stevens would be spinning in his grave if he knew that his series of tubes was being corrupted in this fashion. (Okay, the wording is silly, but exclusivity on the internet is becoming a serious concern.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

That's a very odd interpretation, Chux. These are not free ideas, they weren't free to produce, so why should they be freely distributed? Why should a producer of content give up their rights to that content simply so that consumers can get it across multiple platforms? The internet is great at sharing ideas, but sharing should be the right of the content creator - if you want your family photos distributed everywhere to everybody for any use, that's your right, but what if you DON'T want that?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I don't mean freely distributed. However, restricting the content to one provider is a bit sucktastic, since the providers don't offer an a la carte option. If all exclusive content is restricted to one provider, that gives them a monopoly; if it's spread among providers, it screws over people who pick the other providers.

One or two exclusives is one thing. But imagine if Hasbro signed a deal with Target to be the exclusive retailer for Hasbro toys. That would really suck hard for people who can't (or refuse to for unrelated reasons) shop at Target but want their action figures. Or how about if the new Star Wars movies would only be shown at a theater chain that's the largest overall, but is only in major cities?

Just seems to be shooting themselves in the foot a little bit to restrict the paid (emphasis: paid) outlets for their movies.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I don't mean freely distributed. However, restricting the content to one provider is a bit sucktastic, since the providers don't offer an a la carte option. If all exclusive content is restricted to one provider, that gives them a monopoly; if it's spread among providers, it screws over people who pick the other providers.

One or two exclusives is one thing. But imagine if Hasbro signed a deal with Target to be the exclusive retailer for Hasbro toys. That would really suck hard for people who can't (or refuse to for unrelated reasons) shop at Target but want their action figures. Or how about if the new Star Wars movies would only be shown at a theater chain that's the largest overall, but is only in major cities?

Just seems to be shooting themselves in the foot a little bit to restrict the paid (emphasis: paid) outlets for their movies.
    It's not like it's limiting it to only Comcast customers though, anybody who wants Netflix could get it just as anybody who wants Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus could get those. Perhaps Netflix offered Disney a better deal to stay exclusive than Disney could have gotten by spreading that licensing across multiple services - it's a pretty standard business practice and not monopolistic, you can still get Star Wars through other avenues such as DVD rental, Blu Ray purchase, the movies come on cable from time to time both basic and premium.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.