Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Star Trek 12 into the darkness ( Spoilers thread)

For those who don't want spoilers I recommend you post anyway but only read when you are quoted and Those who want to respond to them please quote them).

The thought has struck me that who would win in a fight ? Kirk or Marvin the Martian?

We might never find out since paramount and not wonder brothers own Star Trek and the latter who owns Looney Tunes.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Is this really the 12th Star Trek movie? Or did you mistype Star Trek 2?

Anyways, I actually enjoyed the recent reboot of this franchise and am looking forward to the new film.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Marvin the Martian would mop the floor with Kirk. No contest.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

OK. I just saw this movie and loved it.

This IS a spoiler thread so I just want to bump it for the moment and then have a discussion when more people have seen this movie.

I've seen it and NOT seen Iron Man 3 but want to see Star Trek again, first!

It's awesome but could've also used more of the morality play / thoughtfulness to a dilemma that the original Trek was designed for.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    OK. I just saw this movie and loved it.

This IS a spoiler thread so I just want to bump it for the moment and then have a discussion when more people have seen this movie.

I've seen it and NOT seen Iron Man 3 but want to see Star Trek again, first!

It's awesome but could've also used more of the morality play / thoughtfulness to a dilemma that the original Trek was designed for.
    Hey everybody! The site hasn't let me post or send messages to anyone in a really long time - like a year - even once I logged in, so I fell out of the habit of coming to the site. But I came around today to lurk and see what everyone was saying about the new Star Trek movie. I hate the whole reboot and won't see the films, but wanted to know what people thought. It is a sad commentary on the success of the reboot universe in the collector community that no one has posted any detailed comments yet!

Glad to see I might be able to post again. I know I'll want to discuss the new Superman movie when it comes out.

I sure had some stuff I wanted to say about Lucas selling to Disney, but I had to just tell my family about that one! Glad to see whatever was wrong may be fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    Hey everybody! The site hasn't let me post or send messages to anyone in a really long time - like a year - even once I logged in, so I fell out of the habit of coming to the site. But I came around today to lurk and see what everyone was saying about the new Star Trek movie. I hate the whole reboot and won't see the films, but wanted to know what people thought. It is a sad commentary on the success of the reboot universe in the collector community that no one has posted any detailed comments yet!

Glad to see I might be able to post again. I know I'll want to discuss the new Superman movie when it comes out.

I sure had some stuff I wanted to say about Lucas selling to Disney, but I had to just tell my family about that one! Glad to see whatever was wrong may be fixed!
    Glad to hear it's working now. If it doesn't work again, email me or sirsteve, our usernames @ the site address.

I agree with you on the reboot thing, I saw the first movie after some friends claimed it was really good and I'd be missing out, and it was so awful. It could be worse though, an article came out recently saying JJ Abrams was going to try to spin his new movies into a TV series but because CBS and Paramount had recently split there were rights issues there (TV going to CBS corporation and movies going to Paramount), and even licensing issues - Abrams said audiences would be confused by old Trek product and wanted them to stop selling anything with classic Trek images on it, naturally CBS and Paramount said no because Shatner's Trek is still an icon - so Abrams walked away from the TV series idea, and we're all the better for it. I still don't know how Trekkies could trust this guy with the franchise, just a few days ago he said he actively HATED Star Trek when he was a kid!

Anyway, read some pretty brutal reviews on this film and some positive ones, read the spoilers and man does this film look like dogcrap, all spectacle and no thoughts at all. AICN says it's not a good newcomer movie either because it spends way too much time in fanservice towards the second half.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

One of my non-SW geek buddies saw it a week or so ago when it premiered in England. He loved the first reboot movie, but couldn't say anything positive about this one. Gives me real hope for Episode VII.

JT, did he really want them to stop using any classic Trek imagery at all? I think that goes a few miles beyond "chutzpah." (Kinda reminds me of the way the s****y DCnU designs are slowly replacing the classic ones on a lot of licensed products, despite looking bad and everyone knowing they won't last a decade.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    It could be worse though, an article came out recently saying JJ Abrams was going to try to spin his new movies into a TV series but because CBS and Paramount had recently split there were rights issues there (TV going to CBS corporation and movies going to Paramount), and even licensing issues - Abrams said audiences would be confused by old Trek product and wanted them to stop selling anything with classic Trek images on it, naturally CBS and Paramount said no because Shatner's Trek is still an icon - so Abrams walked away from the TV series idea, and we're all the better for it.
    JJ Abrams involvement is the single biggest reason that I have extreme reservations about Episode VII. Lucas stepping aside, a Toy Story script writer, Kathleen Kennedy, and Kurtz being involved all led me to think it just might be great, but then they brought in Abrams and now I have only slightly a bit more hope than if they had hired Michael Bay. Maybe Abrams had some good original ideas, but when I look at his track record witha franchise - his ideas for a Superman movie, and what he has done with Star Trek, well, I guess I'll just say it - I have a bad feeling about this.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    (Kinda reminds me of the way the s****y DCnU designs are slowly replacing the classic ones on a lot of licensed products, despite looking bad and everyone knowing they won't last a decade.)
    DC executive: "What, people don't love the new Superman design yet? That's only because we're not cramming it down their throats hard enough!"

Anyways, I saw Star Trek: Into Darkness on Wednesday night and I thought it was okay. Parts of it were almost a shot-for-shot remake of Wrath of Kahn, just with the roles of Kirk and Spock reversed. I've NEVER cringed during a movie before, but I actually found myself cringing during certain scenes because they were so blatantly borrowing scenarios, right down to even using the same dialog, from Star Trek 2.

I was disappointed by that, because I want to see these movies blaze their own path rather than turning into a bizarro-world remake of the original films.

The good news is that I thought the chemistry between the actors kept the movie from completely falling to pieces.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

OK, so we're rolling.

Now what the hell does Abrams or Michael Bay have to do with the movie complaints?

THE STORY called for those rehashed moments from Wrath of Khan (WOK - from here on out).

The STORY was written by Orci and Kurtzman who brought you the Transformers movies and the first Trek reboot movie.

A director (unless he's also the producer) just films what's on the page.

Some directors are the writers. Neither Abrams or Michael Bay are writers.

I don't recall who produced this, but they bought a script writer and then hired Abrams.

Abrams was paid to shoot what was on the page. He could not say "I think they should have been Ferengi and not Klingons. Orci and Kurtzman decided that.

Perhaps a director can say "I don't want to do it this way" or re-write the scene? It would usually need approval.

Now George Lucas was the creator of ESB and pretty much the original writer, too. Kershner did what Lucas told him but he could consult Lucas during the filming.

Who knows if Orci and Kurtzman hang around for Abrams to film just in case he can go "I think they should be Ferengi and not Klingons."

One thing I would have done is made Old Spock more passionate when it was discovered that Harrison was Khan. He has said emotion is part of a complete being's composition already and consoled young Spock of that very fact. I would have had Leonard Nimoy shout, Kahn? Kill him! Kill him now!" all enraged, emotionally. Just for the impact of that one scene where even Old Spock loses control. This would be THAT moment, right?

In any event, 99% of the handling of Spock's character was excellent on this one. And I'm much more a Kirk fan.

I also think the actor chosen to play Khan Noonian Sing should have been of Indian-National descent, as the character was supposed to be. Young Khan without the pony tail? Maybe. But making him a British Jason Bourne? (I'm not going to say Bond because he didn't wear a tuxedo).