Hybrid View

Article: Marvel to Acquire Star Wars License from Dark Horse

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

This could either be awesome or ultra-crappy. Disney gave the Muppets license to Marvel when they took over, and it was left to wither and die. Plus there were tons of Disney comics published by Boom! as well, and they all vanished after the takeover. Then there's the (non-Disney) Dark Tower series, where they were doing all sorts of comics to fill in the many holes Stephen King left in the novels, which suddenly stopped when sales dropped a bit.

I'm hoping they handle Star Wars a bit better than their other licensed properties from the past decade or so.

Very interesting. I'm not a big comics reader - actually I've only ever read the Clone Wars-era "Republic" series - but I was looking forward a little to the rebooted "Star Wars" title coming out in 2013 and seeing where that went. It seems odd that they would be willing to just let the comics drop for a while, but everything else about it makes sense. I wonder if any of the creative teams will move over there, but it frankly couldn't hurt to start with a clean slate of people - and maybe continuity.

Dang, I totally missed that last sentence. That sucks.

If you want any of Dark Horse's stuff, better get it soon.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Wait; you mean that the Dark Horse books will now be COLLECTORS' ITEMS?!? The kind that I can fund my retirement with? Oh yeah!

Chuxter; three words for you: Jaxxon Mini Series.

Well, I guess this means that any Star Wars "canon" established by Dark Horse will be back up for grabs after 2013.

I quit buying the DH Star Wars comics back in 2001; so this is good news since it means that I might actually pick up a Star Wars comic book again for the first time in over a decade.

It would suck if the continuity was not continued and Jan Duursema's art and John Ostrander and John Jackson Millers writing didn't go on. Jan actually drew for a marvel Star Wars comic back in the day when she was first getting started. I suspect they would hire her again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Jan actually drew for a marvel Star Wars comic back in the day when she was first getting started. I suspect they would hire her again.
    Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold your breath. Marvel today is a different animal from what it was in the early 80s.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I read that the above article wasn't accurate and that no official plans have been made as of yet. It *would* make sense for Marvel to get it and if they do, hopefully they will carry over artist/writers of the series that fans really like. But we will have to wait and see.