Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    make sure you meet people that are in the publishing industries at these comic companies. Ask who to meet that is in charge of actually hiring in paying for new talent. Prepare a 3 sentence plot synopsis 2 interest them and then let them ask for further details such as a story summary. But make sure you tell them about Bosnia and why you were inspired to write. That's the fourth sentence in addition to the 3 to interest them. Practice with us here on the forums. it's a great resource you have.
    Try writing a paragraph below with 3 sentences and then skip the space and write a forth about Bosnia and your inspiration. Just do it and Be unafraid to fail because eventually you won't be.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I hope you have success with your comic book venture, BigB!! I definately want a copy.

My 2013 has pretty much been like my 2012 so far, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

My work is still consistent, although I have been keeping my eye out for something different.

My hobbies are the same, but this year I have already decided to devote more of my efforts towards Star Wars rather than Transformers.

I'm looking forward to GI Joe, Man of Steel (cannot wait), Iron Man 3, etc. in the theaters.

I'm playing catch up on Walking Dead. I am still going through my season 1 dvd set, and enjoying it.

I'm still watching Supernatural every week and enjoying it. I kind of miss Smallville every now and then though, but only the earlier seasons. It was fun to watch.

I miss football season already. I want the Jets to do good so bad, but I am getting tired of waiting. I see a lot of the guys at the Jets club who are older and so irritated that I kind of want to get out so I don't turn out like them.

Carolina lost to Duke in basketball the other night. I hope they get better. That's all I have to say about that.

So yeah, basically not much change from last year, just new movies and new toys.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    make sure you meet people that are in the publishing industries at these comic companies. Ask who to meet that is in charge of actually hiring in paying for new talent. Prepare a 3 sentence plot synopsis 2 interest them and then let them ask for further details such as a story summary. But make sure you tell them about Bosnia and why you were inspired to write. That's the fourth sentence in addition to the 3 to interest them. Practice with us here on the forums. it's a great resource you have.
    Try writing a paragraph below with 3 sentences and then skip the space and write a forth about Bosnia and your inspiration. Just do it and Be unafraid to fail because eventually you won't be.
    I've thinking about this since I first read your post this morning, but I'm finding it a lot harder to summarize the book in 3 sentences that I anticipated. So let me ramble a little bit about what kind of book I want this to be.

I really want to create an open-ended superhero comic which simply acts as a platform for me to tell any kind of story that I want to tell. From science-fiction to fantasy to horror and everything in between. There will still be one main character who will star in each issue and there will be plot threads that run through the whole series; but each issue will focus primarily on a stand-alone adventure. I'm taking a lot of my story inspiration from the Silver Age comics where you usually got a complete, self-contained story in a book that cost only 12¢. Now you get 20-25% of a story for $3.99 per issue. Basically, I want people to feel like they are getting their money's worth when they buy one of my comic books.

My main character, Stump, was actually created back in 1993 for an "Ultimate Character Creation Contest" that ran in the pages of Erik Larsen's book The Savage Dragon. Only I was stationed in Germany at the time and my Army commitments prevented me from completing the submission in time for it to make it all the way back to the US by the contest deadline. So I decided to just keep the character to myself for the time being.

Stump's powers are pretty basic, super-strength and invulnerability, but his power levels are through the roof. His strength is up there with the Hulk and Superman, plus he could survive on the surface of the sun (but he wouldn't be happy about it) and he can survive in the vacuum of space almost indefinitely. Usually, this is when people start asking me what his weaknesses are; but, at least initially, his only weaknesses will be his physical size (5 foot 2 inches and over 600 pounds of pure muscle - hence the name "Stump") and his complete lack of resources - no secret base, no super-vehicles. He won't even have a costume, just some baggy clothes that were taken from a Salvation Army donation box; but he can't find any shoes that fit him, so he will spend at least the first issue barefoot. So if he needs to go somewhere, he'll either have to walk or bum a ride from someone.

I do have a plan to sort of introduce a weakness in case Stump turns out to be too powerful; but that weakness will tie into a secret plot thread that will be vaguely hinted at throughout the book but never directly referenced. At least that's the plan. I'm kind of hesitant to give any details of the secret plotline, because it's my "ace in the hole" so to speak. Like I mentioned, I want this book to have that "come back next issue for another exciting adventure" kind of feel to it; but I also understand that modern comic book audiences might be expecting something a little more in depth. So I have this ace up my sleeve that I can pull out if I feel that the story needs it.

Wow, I can't even summarize this book in 4 paragraphs.

I actually wouldn't have thought the fact that the storyline for the first issue was written while I was in Bosnia would be something worth mentioning to a potential publisher. But it's funny because the basic plot for the second issue was written while I was in Korea. So all of my favorite stories have been written while I was in a foreign country.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I do have a plan to sort of introduce a weakness in case Stump turns out to be too powerful; but that weakness will tie into a secret plot thread that will be vaguely hinted at throughout the book but never directly referenced. At least that's the plan. I'm kind of hesitant to give any details of the secret plotline, because it's my "ace in the hole" so to speak. ... So I have this ace up my sleeve that I can pull out if I feel that the story needs it.

Wow, I can't even summarize this book in 4 paragraphs.
    I've already guessed your secret plot, BB: Stump is Anakin's father!
    Qui-Gon: "Who was his father?"
    Shmi: "What's that 'suposed to mean? Why you gotta get all up-in my face 'bout that? You don't got no manners, ain't you?"
    Qui-Gon: "Credits WILL do fine..." [waves hand frantically, backs away]
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I've already guessed your secret plot, BB: Stump is Anakin's father!
    Qui-Gon: "Who was his father?"
    Shmi: "What's that 'suposed to mean? Why you gotta get all up-in my face 'bout that? You don't got no manners, ain't you?"
    Qui-Gon: "Credits WILL do fine..." [waves hand frantically, backs away]
    Dangit! Not I gotta rewrite the whole book.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Well, I guess I'm officially a published comic book writer/artist... self-published, sure, but why quibble over technicalities?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stumpcomicbox2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	27410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stumpcomicbox.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	27409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stumpcomicbox3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	27411

I was only able to afford to get 225 copies printed, instead of 500; but it's still pretty awesome to hold a book that I created in my hands.

That is awesome BigB!

I hope I experience that for myself this year.

Right now I'm soley focused on that goal.

Once I get the time to read something for pleasure (besides re-reading my own work who knows how many times now?!) I will be interested in getting a copy of your comic.

Dude. That is so awesome and I'm so happy for you!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

That is cool! But it's so sad that they couldn't spell "bigbarada" correctly on the cover as the creator.

Let us know the best way to get a copy each (or SEVEN each! ).
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Well, I guess I'm officially a published comic book writer/artist... self-published, sure, but why quibble over technicalities?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stumpcomicbox2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	27410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stumpcomicbox.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	27409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stumpcomicbox3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	27411

I was only able to afford to get 225 copies printed, instead of 500; but it's still pretty awesome to hold a book that I created in my hands.
    Very cool. 225 is better than 000. Gonna offer it on Kindle as well? Black and white translates well to e-paper. Either way, LMK how to buy a hardcopy.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'll post some more specifics later (and I'll shoot you a memo, BigB--just feeling a bit tired out at the moment), but I'd definitely recommend it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.