Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
I'm a little surprised that you feel THAT much more positively about 2012. Granted, you did get several ROTJ figures you were after, but your comments last year about having almost no figures and no vehicles to look forward to, you only have a handful of figures in 2012 that you really sounded excited about.
Way back in 1983, my brother and I owned the Return of the Jedi storybook. At that point in time we didn't own any action figures at all; but I started to fall in love with the Star Wars universe through that book and I read it from cover to cover almost every day. As I tried to memorize every photo, I would pick out characters that I liked and wanted action figures of. Many of them where made in the original vintage line, like the Gamorrean Guard, Chewbacca, R2-D2, Ackbar, Wicket; but I had to wait until the modern line debuted to get four of my top choices: Darth Vader with a removable helmet, Ephant Mon, Weequay Skiffmaster, and Kithaba. Of course, the names "Weequay Skiffmaster" and "Kithaba" didn't exist back then. I actually thought that the Skiffmaster's name was "Queeqay" and I simply called Kithaba the "bulldog Skiff Guard", but I digress. As you might have guessed, Kithaba was the last character from my very first Star Wars wish list to be made into an action figure. It took 29 years, but that list has finally been completed. I think I underestimated just what an impact that milestone would have on me.

I started to notice a few years back that as I was able to scratch names off my wish list, there weren't necessarily other names moving in to take their place. Now that wishlist has emptied out completely of never-before-made figures. All that's left is Barada, but since we've had 3 versions of his character made, it's just not the same as one who has never been immortalized in plastic before.

Sure there are other characters that I think would be neat to see made into figures, but nothing else has a direct link to a childhood memory. Every single character that I pointed to, when I was between the ages of 10-13 years old, and said "I want to see a toy of that guy!" has been made in one form or another. So 2012 saw a very significant chapter come to a close in my Star Wars collecting life.

If Kithaba had been the only figure released this year, the impact would still have been the same for me; but right now I'm kind of struggling to find anything to look forward to. As a result, my interest in Star Wars seems to be fading exponentially from month to month.

I did think - and say - that the converted Ep 1 3D release in February would have virtually no impact at all, even before 3D ticket sales started slumping across the board. If it had gotten a summer or Christmas release, it might have had light impact with kids, but it's a tough sell even then due to the backlash from the overhyping and shock of Jar Jar-type decisions of the '99 release - TPM and Jar Jar are essentially the '99 version of "New Coke".
Over on Rebelscum, people were seriously expecting to see the same level of excitement and anticipation over Ep1 3D as we saw over Ep1 back in 1999 (before anyone actually saw the movie).

However, when I envision store shelves clogged with unsold Episode 1 merchandise, then I realize that those people who wanted 2012 to be a repeat of 1999 actually got their wish.

Honestly, I think unless your chief complaint with the Biker Scout is the deco, your criticisms seem pretty hollow since you've never seen one in person and they don't jive at all with the experiences I've heard from others, not to mention my own. It is an all-new sculpt, and it's way better than the POTJ figure or the tiny-headed, big-shouldered '06 figure.
I'm kind of giving the toy the benefit of the doubt for being the best vehicle of the year. I told myself that I wanted to wait until I heard some actual in-hand reviews to decide if I was going to seek it out. I don't know, maybe I'm being so critical of it because I actually do want it, but I'm trying to convince myself that I don't. I'll consider taking a trip down to TRU and looking for one this weekend.