Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    (although photoshop calls it "lightness", not "brightness"),
    It depends on where you looking inside of Photoshop. If you are talking about Hue/Saturation adjustments, then it does refer to Value as Lightness. However if you are using the HSB color sliders in the color menu, then it's called Brightness. I use HSB as my default color sliders in Photoshop, instead of RGB or CMYK, so that's what I was referring to.

In general, I try not to use internet JPG images to discuss colors, but it's pretty tough to discuss colors on the internet without using images. JPG is a lossy compression format by its very nature and, furthermore, computer monitors simply can't display all of the colors that are visible to the human eye - the technology is just not there yet. Plus, since I don't know what your computer monitor settings are, it's hard for me to guess which colors you might be seeing and which ones your monitor is simply not capable of displaying. I'm using AdobeRGB on my monitor here, FYI, so if you are using sRGB, then you are missing out on a few colors.

So what feels right to my eyes in the real world is going to be pretty difficult to illustrate accurately using internet JPGs. I can just say that when I display the figures and look at them from across the room, the brown bandana just feels more correct.

I did come up with this comparison image and tried to match to colors up as close as I could. I sampled multiple photos for each color and came up with an average, then adjusted that average until it looked right on my monitor:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kithaba-bandanacolors-1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	27043

When I sample the colors using the HSB sliders, I get:

Brown: H = 34, S= 45, B = 24

Red: H = 12, S = 89, B = 54

Actual: H = 1, S = 68, B = 40

So, using these colors, the red clearly is closer to the proper color than the brown. Even though both red and brown bandanas are too far over to the red/orange side of the spectrum and the actual bandana is more a pure, middle-red.

But again it's about how it looks to my eyes in reality. Even knowing what I know about the numbers, the brown just feels closer to the correct color than the red.

Most likely it's because I've spent over 20 years drawing stuff primarily in pencil, so my mind has been conditioned to translate everything into a grayscale image and decipher every color based on it's value first, hue second and saturation level third.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I'm really surprised nobody else wants to rap up the year, last year the concept was pretty popular, lots of differences of opinion.
    Yeah, sorry, I've been lurking around this thread, but never seemed to get around to getting my thoughts together and coming up with a reply.

I actually thought 2012 was a pretty good year. Sure, there might not have been the glut of product we've seen in previous years, but when I'm paying £10-£13 for each figure, I would much prefer quality over quantity. I still love this hobby, and want to continue collecting as long as possible, but it's becoming more of a struggle all the time. I haven't had a pay rise for 7 years, so with the rising costs of food, gas, petrol, and every other living expense (let alone SW figures!!), I effectively have a pay cut every year. So I actually prefer having less figures to buy - and yet it still seemed like I had a LOT to keep up with last year, especially in the last couple of months.

I didn't particularly notice the distribution problems.... distribution in the UK has always been unreliable to say the least, so I pre-order everything online, then just sit back and wait for it to show up. There are some great online dealers in the UK, who don't insist on selling by the case, so you can pick and choose what you want (some short-packed figures may be a bit dearer, but it works out a lot cheaper in the long run)... the seller I use regularly is even good enough to pick out good paint apps for me, so I don't even have to worry about getting poorly painted figures. And since I don't bother going to toy shops very often, I don't get to see what's pegwarming.... so, where many people have developed a dislike of TPM wave, because they still see them clogging the pegs everywhere, and holding up new product, I still look at them as some of my favourite figures from last year.

Ok, so highlights for me...

Some long overdue Vintage/POTF2 updates: Nien Nunb (much anticiptated, though I ended up being slightly underwhelmed by the weird paint job, and as a result, I don't think he looks as nice as other recent Sullustans), Snaggletooth (great figure!!), Lumat, Dr Evazan, Nikto, Weequay and Kithaba (too skinny, but I was really pleased to receive the red bandana variant - looks much better imho).

Podracers.... I'm not a huge fan of the podracers, and not bothered about getting them all made into plastic, but I was really impressed by the three released in 2012, and they ended up being three of my favourite figures of the year. I love getting new and unique alien figures, and they don't come much more unique looking than Ben Q! Sure, he was a particularly silly and cartoony character in the film, but I just love this figure!

Daultay Dofine.... I really like Neimoidians, and this is the best Neimoidian figure released so far... I would like to see Nute and Rune re-done to the same standard.

Ewok battle pack.... I've really grown to love these little furballs in recent years, and this is a fantastic set, with some great figures and tons of accessories.

Clone Wars.... I don't collect all the animated figures, only the occasional ones that seem like important characters, or are visually appealing, but I'm very impressed by the trio of realistic CW we got, and will probably collect these in future. I also bought the Darth Maul Returns BP - another three very good figures. Maul himself is the weak link, but still a fun and unique figure (I missed the comic pack realistic version). I like that the Nightsister is in realistic style - I display her with my other concept figures.

There were a few other very good figures.... Vader, Aurra Sing, Aayla, Orrimaarko, Sandstorm figures.... but I just can't muster up much excitement for these characters any more.

Lowpoints.... mostly because of terrible soft goods - Royal Guard and Tarkin spring to mind. Also, those vintage 2-packs were very bad value for money, especially the AT-ST crew.... basically £20 for two new heads. Love the ewoks though, but still overpriced.

Going forward, I'm quite happy Droid Factory has been cancelled.... boring selection of characters, and I hate feeling enticed into buying a full wave of figures (half of which I don't really want), just to get the "free" figure. My wallet will enjoy the break, and it will give me a chance to really appreciate what I already have.... I just hope there isn't suddenly a huge amount of stuff suddenly released in the Autumn.
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

This has been an interesting thread to read. I appreciate what everyone has posted.

Let me say that 2012 was not a year in which I purchased a lot of Star Wars merchandise. I focused mainly on Transformers.

What I did buy can be listed very briefly:

-TVC Obi Wan, Darth Maul, Sidious, Battle Droid, Hoth Luke, Aayla Secura, Nom Amor. Distribution was a big problem here, just like everywhere else. I saw pics of figures like Darth Malgus and Starkiller, but never pursued finding them.

I did buy some of the movie heroes figures, and I did get the Walmart "Discover the force" figures.

My brother-in-law gave me "Angry Birds Star Wars" Death Star Jenga for Christmas.

I got some Star Wars t-shirts for Christmas.

I bought the full version of "Angry Birds Star Wars" on my iphone.

I went back and read some things on here and now I want that TRU biker scout set. I think I remember seeing some last time I went, so that may warrant a trip back next week after I get paid, and hopefully they still have some.

My initial reaction to Lucas selling Star Wars to Disney was not a positive one. I have always kind of thought that since the 6 movies have been completed, Star Wars should be left alone. Now that I have had some time to think about it and have let the initial shock wear off, I think this could be a good thing. As JabbaJohnL said in his review, this is the first time since 1983 that we as a fandom can look forward and not really know where the story is going to take us. That is exciting to me!!

As far as the Clone Wars series is concerned, I have not watched too many episodes of if like I had earlier in the series. My DVR recorder had 11 unwatched episodes on it and I started to watch them last weekend. My interest in the series has been renewed. Saturday's episode was awesome, so I am now back in it for sure.

"Empire" has always been my favorite movie of all time...not just in the series, but out of ALL movies. I have found that I am falling in love with it all over again. It has everything in it..action, heroism, bravery, romance, betrayal, and the biggest surprise of them all.
    The more I think about it, I am an OT guy right down to the core, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy the prequels.

I want 2013 to be a good year for Star Wars. It has always been my first love as far as collecting goes, so I intend to spend more time
    devoted to it this year.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    It's not attachment to the character - I didn't read her origin comics and she doesn't do anything that noteworthy in the films or TV show. I do like the prequel Jedi overall more than you do, I know, so there's that. Part of it could be that she's more visually striking than many of the figures released this year, which matters to me - I mean, Colonel Cracken's not going to get top honors. It could also partly be that it's so much better than previous Aayla figures - not that those were bad, but as a sign of progression showing what Hasbro is now capable of compared to previously in the line, Aayla is a fantastic example.

I only singled out her and Vader's "gorgeous sculpts," and I was referring to the figures overall, not meaning to imply that Aayla was the spitting image of Amy Allen. I don't think it's the greatest likeness they've ever done, but it looks like her enough in my book. In this scale, features have to be changed now and then to maintain the overall look of the character, so I don't think any of the liberties taken with this figure are that egregious or out of the norm for this line.
    There were a lot of drab figures in 2012, I can give you that she stands out. I'm not sure I see her sculpt as any way superior to, say, Kithaba or Weequay or Malgus or Mawhonic, she's not bad in any way but I'm not seeing "gorgeous" from a figure standpoint, so I applied character accuracy but that came up short too since she's attractive in the face but not super accurate.

On the hip issue, again, I'm willing to let accuracy slide from time to time if it means it benefits the figure overall. The 2005 Aayla actually has skinny thighs similar to VOTC Han, which is a solution that I dislike. The TVC version obscures the hips with the objects hanging from her belt (which are well sculpted and textured, a first for the character and an interesting detail that shows what Hasbro is now capable of), so I really didn't even notice it as an issue before you mentioned it.

But a big part of what I love about the figure is her articulation, and the ball-joint hips allow her to be posed in some really cool ways. She's significantly more expressive than most other figures in the line because of this, and I think giving her slightly wider hips is completely fine for this reason. (She's not as bad as diaper-wearing Bespin Luke, at least.)
    I could have accepted the thunder thighs/hips thing if the joint had at least worked correctly, but it's so low that it looks wrong in any use, and the behind is so big too because her legs have to be far apart (another thing I don't like that much about that design). Her hip tassels don't impress me, they're pretty thick compared to the design, they're not more special than Boba's wookiee braids - not terrible, but not super amazing to me either.

Would you have been as harsh on this figure if people hadn't rated it so highly? (Conversely, I don't know if I would have rated it so high if I hadn't had such low expectations for it, since I didn't think we needed a new Aayla that badly, so that could be a factor for both of us.)
    If it hadn't gotten such good press from a few folks, I wouldn't have bought her at all. She's not a bad figure by any stretch, but I don't see anything approaching a "figure of the year" entry out of her and I wouldn't have bought her, she didn't seem like a special figure to me in that respect. For sure I wouldn't have gotten her because I had the chance several times prior and passed then.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    It depends on where you looking inside of Photoshop. If you are talking about Hue/Saturation adjustments, then it does refer to Value as Lightness. However if you are using the HSB color sliders in the color menu, then it's called Brightness. I use HSB as my default color sliders in Photoshop, instead of RGB or CMYK, so that's what I was referring to.

In general, I try not to use internet JPG images to discuss colors, but it's pretty tough to discuss colors on the internet without using images. JPG is a lossy compression format by its very nature and, furthermore, computer monitors simply can't display all of the colors that are visible to the human eye - the technology is just not there yet. Plus, since I don't know what your computer monitor settings are, it's hard for me to guess which colors you might be seeing and which ones your monitor is simply not capable of displaying. I'm using AdobeRGB on my monitor here, FYI, so if you are using sRGB, then you are missing out on a few colors.

So what feels right to my eyes in the real world is going to be pretty difficult to illustrate accurately using internet JPGs. I can just say that when I display the figures and look at them from across the room, the brown bandana just feels more correct.

I did come up with this comparison image and tried to match to colors up as close as I could. I sampled multiple photos for each color and came up with an average, then adjusted that average until it looked right on my monitor:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kithaba-bandanacolors-1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	27043

When I sample the colors using the HSB sliders, I get:

Brown: H = 34, S= 45, B = 24

Red: H = 12, S = 89, B = 54

Actual: H = 1, S = 68, B = 40

So, using these colors, the red clearly is closer to the proper color than the brown. Even though both red and brown bandanas are too far over to the red/orange side of the spectrum and the actual bandana is more a pure, middle-red.

But again it's about how it looks to my eyes in reality. Even knowing what I know about the numbers, the brown just feels closer to the correct color than the red.

Most likely it's because I've spent over 20 years drawing stuff primarily in pencil, so my mind has been conditioned to translate everything into a grayscale image and decipher every color based on it's value first, hue second and saturation level third.
    The color picker's Lightness vs Brightness thing isn't the same in HSB because HSB and HLS aren't the same due to the way they work with light range, so as I understand it the value/brightness will get overreaching brightness results while HLS lightness is more susceptible to overreaching saturation issues. In this case, going black and white using the color picker's Brightness slider from the HSB will give you inaccurately contrasty information here - brights will be brighter and darks will be darker, within the color spectrum. (The CIE Lab Lightness on the other hand will give you much more accurate results from the picker throughout the range, but that's another matter altogether.) But that's of course only about the digital numbers, tell me what you - an analog artist who sees from the pencil - think of the examples on Wikipedia for this using the pics of the firebreather: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSV_col...#Disadvantages

As for Adobe RGB vs sRGB, Ken Rockwell says that only theoretically does Adobe RGB have more color range, in practice not so much due to the way it compresses the color space and then uncompresses it, converts it for use, etc., and that sRGB is designed to be extremely accurate and universal. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/adobe-rgb.htm

Of course, since you did all that sexy color averaging and picked out the HSB values and still came up with the red as closer, but you see it as the brown, is it possible you might have colorblindness in that red region? To my eyes it's not even close, the brown has nowhere near enough red in it to even be called a color, its low saturation and brightness numbers say the same thing, while "red" and "actual" are much more in the red family with obvious colors to them.

Quote Originally Posted by sebillba View Post
    Yeah, sorry, I've been lurking around this thread, but never seemed to get around to getting my thoughts together and coming up with a reply.

I actually thought 2012 was a pretty good year. Sure, there might not have been the glut of product we've seen in previous years, but when I'm paying £10-£13 for each figure, I would much prefer quality over quantity. I still love this hobby, and want to continue collecting as long as possible, but it's becoming more of a struggle all the time. I haven't had a pay rise for 7 years, so with the rising costs of food, gas, petrol, and every other living expense (let alone SW figures!!), I effectively have a pay cut every year. So I actually prefer having less figures to buy - and yet it still seemed like I had a LOT to keep up with last year, especially in the last couple of months.

I didn't particularly notice the distribution problems.... distribution in the UK has always been unreliable to say the least, so I pre-order everything online, then just sit back and wait for it to show up. There are some great online dealers in the UK, who don't insist on selling by the case, so you can pick and choose what you want (some short-packed figures may be a bit dearer, but it works out a lot cheaper in the long run)... the seller I use regularly is even good enough to pick out good paint apps for me, so I don't even have to worry about getting poorly painted figures. And since I don't bother going to toy shops very often, I don't get to see what's pegwarming.... so, where many people have developed a dislike of TPM wave, because they still see them clogging the pegs everywhere, and holding up new product, I still look at them as some of my favourite figures from last year.

Ok, so highlights for me...

Some long overdue Vintage/POTF2 updates: Nien Nunb (much anticiptated, though I ended up being slightly underwhelmed by the weird paint job, and as a result, I don't think he looks as nice as other recent Sullustans), Snaggletooth (great figure!!), Lumat, Dr Evazan, Nikto, Weequay and Kithaba (too skinny, but I was really pleased to receive the red bandana variant - looks much better imho).

Podracers.... I'm not a huge fan of the podracers, and not bothered about getting them all made into plastic, but I was really impressed by the three released in 2012, and they ended up being three of my favourite figures of the year. I love getting new and unique alien figures, and they don't come much more unique looking than Ben Q! Sure, he was a particularly silly and cartoony character in the film, but I just love this figure!

Daultay Dofine.... I really like Neimoidians, and this is the best Neimoidian figure released so far... I would like to see Nute and Rune re-done to the same standard.

Ewok battle pack.... I've really grown to love these little furballs in recent years, and this is a fantastic set, with some great figures and tons of accessories.

Clone Wars.... I don't collect all the animated figures, only the occasional ones that seem like important characters, or are visually appealing, but I'm very impressed by the trio of realistic CW we got, and will probably collect these in future. I also bought the Darth Maul Returns BP - another three very good figures. Maul himself is the weak link, but still a fun and unique figure (I missed the comic pack realistic version). I like that the Nightsister is in realistic style - I display her with my other concept figures.

There were a few other very good figures.... Vader, Aurra Sing, Aayla, Orrimaarko, Sandstorm figures.... but I just can't muster up much excitement for these characters any more.

Lowpoints.... mostly because of terrible soft goods - Royal Guard and Tarkin spring to mind. Also, those vintage 2-packs were very bad value for money, especially the AT-ST crew.... basically £20 for two new heads. Love the ewoks though, but still overpriced.

Going forward, I'm quite happy Droid Factory has been cancelled.... boring selection of characters, and I hate feeling enticed into buying a full wave of figures (half of which I don't really want), just to get the "free" figure. My wallet will enjoy the break, and it will give me a chance to really appreciate what I already have.... I just hope there isn't suddenly a huge amount of stuff suddenly released in the Autumn.
    I hear ya on "quality over quantity", I just didn't feel particularly blown away by the quality either, not that there were a lot of bad figures, but I didn't feel like there were a lot of very strong performers either, even without taking the crazy price increase into account. Of course, you have it worse, I didn't know they were going for so much in the UK!

Yeah, distribution in the UK has sucked for a really long time, like since the '90s.

I totally forgot about Snaggletooth and the Power Droid, I didn't get either of those 3-packs but did want to, they were just too much money each for 2 figures I already had and 1 I didn't. Glad to hear I'm not the only one out there who thinks Kithaba is too lanky.

Also glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds the Royal Guard underwhelming. I know everybody's down on Tarkin for his deco, but I like the sculpt enough to keep it off my "worst" list.

Thanks for a fresh perspective, a very different take on the line in some ways, in others like Droid Factory - I know a lot of collectors felt the same way back during the original line - so quite in line in others.

I don't think they're going to deluge in autumn, but I suspect we'll see 3 or 4 waves between September and the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsAndHeels View Post
    This has been an interesting thread to read. I appreciate what everyone has posted.

Let me say that 2012 was not a year in which I purchased a lot of Star Wars merchandise. I focused mainly on Transformers.

What I did buy can be listed very briefly:

-TVC Obi Wan, Darth Maul, Sidious, Battle Droid, Hoth Luke, Aayla Secura, Nom Amor. Distribution was a big problem here, just like everywhere else. I saw pics of figures like Darth Malgus and Starkiller, but never pursued finding them.

I did buy some of the movie heroes figures, and I did get the Walmart "Discover the force" figures.

My brother-in-law gave me "Angry Birds Star Wars" Death Star Jenga for Christmas.

I got some Star Wars t-shirts for Christmas.

I bought the full version of "Angry Birds Star Wars" on my iphone.

I went back and read some things on here and now I want that TRU biker scout set. I think I remember seeing some last time I went, so that may warrant a trip back next week after I get paid, and hopefully they still have some.

My initial reaction to Lucas selling Star Wars to Disney was not a positive one. I have always kind of thought that since the 6 movies have been completed, Star Wars should be left alone. Now that I have had some time to think about it and have let the initial shock wear off, I think this could be a good thing. As JabbaJohnL said in his review, this is the first time since 1983 that we as a fandom can look forward and not really know where the story is going to take us. That is exciting to me!!

As far as the Clone Wars series is concerned, I have not watched too many episodes of if like I had earlier in the series. My DVR recorder had 11 unwatched episodes on it and I started to watch them last weekend. My interest in the series has been renewed. Saturday's episode was awesome, so I am now back in it for sure.

"Empire" has always been my favorite movie of all time...not just in the series, but out of ALL movies. I have found that I am falling in love with it all over again. It has everything in it..action, heroism, bravery, romance, betrayal, and the biggest surprise of them all.
    The more I think about it, I am an OT guy right down to the core, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy the prequels.

I want 2013 to be a good year for Star Wars. It has always been my first love as far as collecting goes, so I intend to spend more time
    devoted to it this year.
    If you thought my YIR for Star Wars was rough, you should see my Transformers YIR, that was friggin' brutal. What did you think of TF in 2012?

Sounds like distribution on SW was utterly devastating for you, worse than most even.

What do you think of that Angry Birds Death Star? My mom and my sister have pointed it out to me, one thinks it looks fun and the other thinks it looks hellastupid.

The Speeder Bike set is not a letdown, worth getting.

Oof, that's a lot of Clone Wars catching up to do.

Thanks for adding more voices to the YIR before January was over, it's great to get more perspectives on 2012. In some ways, I feel like 2012 is behind me and I can just let it go, but looking at the year on paper again it's still quite frustrating to think about. Obviously my thoughts on 2013 have changed and changed again now.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Transformers in 2012 was a pretty good year overall IMO. To me the highlights of the year were in the Masterpiece line. Thundercracker is good since they used the MP-11 mold which improved on the MP-3. The TRU MP-10 is my favorite of the year. It is such a work of art. I feel it captures the essence of G1 Optimus perfectly.

The FOC toys have been hit or miss. I love Starscream and Voyager Soundwave, but the Bruticus set was a little bit of a letdown for me.

The FE toys coming back to stores was a good thing. I finally have the voyagers and they are all kinds of awesome. I am also glad certain Prime figures (like Vehicon) became easier to track down, thanks to places like Marshall's and Ross and TJ Maxx.

I think the best deal of the year though was the Amazon Jetwing Prime. It was as low as $55 at one point, which is an absolute steal.

As far as that Angry Birds death star game, I have not even opened it yet. I will soon though.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester

Transformers in 2012 was a pretty good year overall IMO. To me the highlights of the year were in the Masterpiece line. Thundercracker is good since they used the MP-11 mold which improved on the MP-3. The TRU MP-10 is my favorite of the year. It is such a work of art. I feel it captures the essence of G1 Optimus perfectly.

The FOC toys have been hit or miss. I love Starscream and Voyager Soundwave, but the Bruticus set was a little bit of a letdown for me.

The FE toys coming back to stores was a good thing. I finally have the voyagers and they are all kinds of awesome. I am also glad certain Prime figures (like Vehicon) became easier to track down, thanks to places like Marshall's and Ross and TJ Maxx.

I think the best deal of the year though was the Amazon Jetwing Prime. It was as low as $55 at one point, which is an absolute steal.

As far as that Angry Birds death star game, I have not even opened it yet. I will soon though.
    I'm surprised to hear such positivity about 2012 for TF, I found it a brutal year due to a very limited product range, deep quality cuts coupled with price increases, and Bruticus being a bit of a letdown as you said. I did like both MPs, but I haven't found either of the FE Voyagers yet.

Jetwing Prime was actually $52 at its lowest, I had it on page tracking to see how low it'd go, within a day of that it was back to full price of $100.

MP range was 100% success.
    Generations 2.0 has been very hit & miss, I'd argue 1 out of 3 works and even then is a bit overpriced for what it is.
    GDO was a moderate success for what it was.
    TFP has been I'd say maybe 25% successful, Wheeljack and the Vehicon and the Starhammer are the pieces I think of as working as well as they should.
    TFP-FE worked moderately as well, just way late and leaving out some pieces arbitrarily.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm surprised to hear such positivity about 2012 for TF
    Compared to the awful distribution that SW had, TF were good.

Rendar, personally I’ve always thought JT gets excited or critical about the exact opposite things that he “should be,” but that’s my subjective opinion just like his.

JT is excited by improvements made to items / characters we already have, whereas my own enthusiasm is for things we never got in the line like the Hem Dazon and Bom Vimdim figures. To me, they are forever more exciting than any version of Darth Vader (aside from funeral pyre perhaps) that I’d NEVER even look at – and I mean that very seriously.

On the other hand, Vader must sell to new people (kids just old enough) to enter the hobby. Just like it wouldn’t work if the Batman line stopped stocking Batman and put out waves geared to tooling individual cops and Joker thugs, or the prisoners where Bane was held in the Middle East. Now I’m not going to get excited for those, but as far as background characters, Tzzzvvzzt or Shasha Teil or Nyrat Agira are all more visually interesting because of their design than the next Middle Easterner sand pauper in Bane’s prison hole. Thing is, any figure is a different design from Batman or Darth Vader.

I think I made my point clear. And the fact that Vader is necessary to continue selling the line to newbies. I’m just not going to care or get excited about a figure of him.

New Luke? On Dagobah where his Bespin jacket is OPEN, unbelted, and his Dagobah training muscle shirt is visible underneath RIGHT BEFORE Yoda raises the X-wing. That’s never been done and it’s different and still available. The Luke / Leia Medical Frigate figures were wonderful for me! Gotta have Cliegg Lars as with his hoverchair and stump leg, he’s still different from any previous Star Wars figure.

But I don’t think JT is any conisseur in the sense that he could be happy for fans exited by figures of Wedge and Tarkin back in the day – and Han Stormtrooper – that drew a good many of us back into the hobby after we’d been out of collecting toys for a long time. Then it was the Bartender and Porkins, Slave Leia, Mon Mothma – it goes on until recently it was Colonel Cracken. That’s the very strong spirit that keeps me in the hobby. My post count has dropped off tremendously for lack of that sort of thing to talk about and my wish that new figures of the aliens and random senators etc. were made in a continuing Clone Wars line.

Rendar, I too love the Expanded Universe and actually know there are VERY easy ways they can respect the continuity it’s established and have plenty (dozens) of stories they can tell without crapping all over it. If Han and Leia have a daughter named Jaina in her very late 20’s or early 30’s in Ep.7, no one has to know she had a twin brother, and also a younger one. But those of us fans of Timothy Zahn will know.

I also want a Masterpiece Ultra Magnus btw. But I love the Titanium one and would like that remade on a huge scale. The Titanium is an actual TRANSFORMER. Everything is connected and transforms. I’ve thought the City Commander 3rd party looked the most like G1.5 Magnus, but it’s a Lego set (in a way).

Silbilba:

I too enjoy the financial burden being lessened with less product to buy, as I have a lot of other hobbies / sports / events / projects etc that I like to have money to spend on.

I actually AM a fan of Aayla Secura’s character (to a degree) but barely bought any figures of her beyond the Saga 1 (AOTC) figure. I think I needed one more Aayla and got the ROTS version. Now I don’t look at her figures either – save for buying one Clone Wars version.

I also liked SOME of TPM offerings – the final Post-Senate Queen Amidala, and the Podracers, Daultay Dofine. I think I ignored the rest of the main characters who actually did wind up pegwarming. I agree with you about Ben Quadrinaros being a unique figure. But my favorite is Dud Bolt (not a vintage but a great Podracing character that’s such a cartoon stereotype, he’s fun!

So what Snaggletooth are you referring to? The Target 3-pack one would be cool to get on its own without a Tusken and Boba Fett, both who I REALLY do NOT want more figures of.

I could care less about most of the rest except I bought Lumat.

As to Neimoidians? While Nute and Rune could be done with ROTS attire first, I want Tey How more than any of the others since she (?) has never been made before. I also want a CLONE WARS cartoon version of Nute Gunray before ROTS movie figures or anything else to do with the Niemoidians. These Niemoidian figures NEED to get done as a priority.

The Ewok battle pack (K-Mart and Toys R Us packs) were awesome! Yup. 2012 was a great year for fans of Ewoks and we got NEW Ewoks and not redos of Logray and Wicket again. I think Warok could be single vintage carded or a movie version of Keolkeech (pretty sure it’s him with the fearsome skull headpiece that guards Leia when she joins the heroes when they’re about to become BBQ). Warok and Keolkeech should be the priority Ewoks before Chirpa or Teebo get vintage cards or something like that. I love Ewoks but won’t buy another Chirpa, Teebo, Romba, Logray, Wicket or Paploo. Just got my Lumats and am very happy with them.

The Nightsister can work with my CW figures without too much telling she’s of a different line, so I don’t usually acknowledge that she is and regularly like lying to myself to protect my fantasy that the CW line actually keeps getting good new figures.

I’m not collecting the CW versions of characters for a realistic line (don’t need more Ahsoka, Anakin, and Obi-Wan as it is). Hasbro could screw me only by offering Riff Tamsen, Wagtwo, Senator Tsutsi, and other figures from CW that I want ONLY in realistic style. I hope they don’t. Then I don’t need those Anakins and Obi-Wans.

As to Droid Factory? I want Dooku’s pilot droid released somehow.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Compared to the awful distribution that SW had, TF were good.
    Sure, so long as your name is "Bumblebee". Distribution on TF in 2012 was pretty rough as well, IMO.

Tycho, spend less time speaking for me, and more time concentrating on your own point of view, okay?

Another fun thing to do with a time machine: Go back to 1985. Tell yourself that you will be completely sick of Bumblebee, Snake Eyes, and Darth Vader.
    Tommy, close your eyes.