Results 1 to 10 of 10

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Article: Skylanders toys outsell Transformers and Star Wars action figures in 2012

    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

  2. #2
    I find this somewhat hard to believe, that's a lot of money to generate for "toys" that are just NFC chips under statues.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I find this somewhat hard to believe, that's a lot of money to generate for "toys" that are just NFC chips under statues.
    Not surprised at all. You have to remember that nearly the entire country last year for at least the star wars line saw almost no new prodect from mid February through clear to today. The star wars line had to have done terribly last year with so little new product hitting shelves for almost a full year.

    And on top of that, this year they're canceling the build a droid line and going to put vintage on hiatus for a while so really, who knows what we'll see for . . . a good chunck of this year as well?

  4. #4
    They're claiming half a billion dollars in sales in 2012 though, that's a lot for the toy industry for a line that isn't even sold on the toy aisle and requires an expensive game and reader. Crazy. Activision has to be happy, but they they better watch out, that kind of fad can't last terribly long.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  5. #5
    Maybe I missed it in the article, but what are they counting in "Skylander sales"? The figurines only, or the game and everything else? Heck, buy just the basic set, and isn't that like $80 right there? Even at TRU prices, that's almost seven Star Wars figures.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Maybe I missed it in the article, but what are they counting in "Skylander sales"? The figurines only, or the game and everything else? Heck, buy just the basic set, and isn't that like $80 right there? Even at TRU prices, that's almost seven Star Wars figures.
    I think the article doesn't say, but I've read that a lot of these sales are from the toys, not the game and its reader portal accessory which are, as you said, around $80.

    TRU is cheaper for SW basics than Target now.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  7. #7
    I can believe it. If there were a way to measure it I think you'll find that the motivation for most of those sales (unlike Transformers and Star Wars) were because of the downloadable content for the video games from the chips, not because of the "toys" in of themselves.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    I can believe it. If there were a way to measure it I think you'll find that the motivation for most of those sales (unlike Transformers and Star Wars) were because of the downloadable content for the video games from the chips, not because of the "toys" in of themselves.
    Plus, Skylanders actually released figures last year whereas Star Wars and Transformers only released one wave apiece in February and it sat on the shelves. Throw in the fact that the gam cost 70 dollars and each figure cost 8-15 a piece and you got quite a racket...
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO