Hasbro is going to be at conventions this year, and at some of them we're hoping to get one-on-one interview time. The first one coming up is New York Toy Fair on February 9th - with Toy Fair, there's not much chance we'll get any interview time, but just in case, we thought we'd open up the forum to submit questions here. If we don't get Q&A time at Toy Fair, we'll save the questions for the next opportunity which will probably be SDCC in July.
Voting is not needed as the questions will be chosen on an editorial basis, but feel free to voice any support for an existing question.
Unless an item is already confirmed by Hasbro, we definitely won't be asking questions about specific items. Also, please keep in mind that we'll be asking these in person, so keep questions respectful and reasonable.
Go ahead and voice support for these questions, and suggest your own:
- - The 2013 Class II vehicle line is using all new tooling and going in a simpler direction, but is there still a chance of seeing more vehicles in the original, more detailed Class II style – perhaps as newly tooled exclusives or even as reissues from the vast tooling library you already have, as is currently being done for larger vehicles like the Republic Gunship and Slave I?
- - Speaking of vehicle re-releases, the Naboo Fighter is a great one that many collectors missed due to the first wave of vehicles not selling well last year and the case being expensive and rare online. It's been appearing sporadically at discount stores, but might we still see it pop up somewhere in greater numbers, either as existing stock or a new run? It's too large for the new Class II line, but could it be repacked as an exclusive?
- - So far the new Class II line has only consisted of resculpts of existing vehicles, but will we see any never-before-made ships there as well?
- - With no new releases since the first wave in Spring, is the Class I line with two figures essentially dead?
- - Even though we're getting some fairly sizable ships as exclusives, the repainted Slave I and AT-AT are the only large-size vehicles coming this year. Does the big vehicle line still have a future in new molds? It was said that the MTT's performance could determine what comes next - did it have any effect, positive or negative?
- - The Clone Wars animated figure line and TV series are both more or less finished. What are the chances of continuing to see new characters done in the realistic style - either 3.75" Black Series or Saga Legends/Misson Series - or more vehicles from the series? So far, the realistic Clone Wars figures have been of characters that have already had several animated figures, but could the realistic lines be an outlet for new characters and designs, such as the Pong Krell and spider-Maul figures that were mentioned in previous Q&A sessions?
- - With Star Wars Rebels premiering a little over a year from now, we won't ask details on tie-in products, but if you do decide to make figures for the show, has any thought been given as to whether the figures will be in the animated or realistic style? Will you be making this decision based on how well The Clone Wars animated figures performed, or is this something Lucasfilm and Disney will decide?
- - The presumably-still-upcoming Mara Jade figure is wearing the same catsuit that has been made as a figure twice previously – and it looks like a fine figure in and of itself – but the Fans' Choice poll had an image of her wearing her green Jedi outfit, so that look is probably what many fans believed they were picking when they voted. Why was the choice made to make yet another version of this outfit as opposed to the one featured in the poll? Can we expect to see a figure in her green Jedi outfit?
- - Late last year and earlier this year, several Movie Heroes and Clone Wars figures - including light-up Anakin and Sandtrooper, the blast-apart Battle Droids, etc. - were revealed and released internationally but not in the US. The Yoda-card figures have been made available by online retailers, but grappling-hook-jetpack Boba Fett and the tan exploding Battle Droid remain very scarce. Is there any plan to release any of them specifically to the US market?
- - Why is the eye on the top back of astromech heads almost always being done wrong as it is on the 6" R2 figure, so it sticks straight up instead of angled back?
- - Why do you use that chiffon/gossamer translucent black fabric for Darth Vader figures' cloaks and kama skirts when the Vintage Collection Sidious has a much nicer opaque black fabric for his robes and kama skirt?
- - Some collectors are worried that the new 6" line will cannibalize resources that otherwise would have gone into making high-quality, super-articulated 3.75" figures. Is that going to be the case, or will collectors who have invested almost 18 years into collecting the 3.75" line and are NOT interested in starting again with a newly scaled line still have something to look forward to with the 3.75" Black Series?
- - The initial plan for the first half of 2013 was to re-release hard-to-find 2012 figures from The Vintage Collection. It seems like a few more cases made it out, but were still few and far between, with many stores not stocking any more Vintage figures at all. So was this plan shelved or scaled back? You've said there won't be any straight repacks in The Black Series, but will we still be seeing more of the hard-to-find Vintage figures somehow?
- - It's obviously too early to talk about the new films, but Disney has said that the new trilogy will take place after Return of the Jedi. Assuming that existing post-ROTJ expanded universe material isn't used in the new films, would the new films lower the likelihood of seeing figures from the existing post-ROTJ expanded universe, similar to how the Clone Wars micro-series material has been largely ignored in favor of the CGI series per Lucasfilm's request?
- - We know that the Build-A-Droid line was cancelled since it would have been too expensive to include the droid parts without raising the price, but at what point in the development process did you know – or feel in your gut – that the new Build-A-Droid line was going to be canceled? What point in the process did it seem like things were going against it? Was there a single event that precipitated the line's cancellation?
- - How long before the public announcement did you know that the 3D re-releases of Episodes II and III weren't going to happen this year? Obviously the line is still very heavy on the Episode II and III items this year, but did that cause you to have to change the line much, or were you already planning on scaling back after Episode I didn't do as well as you hoped?
- - The Skylanders franchise has been surprisingly popular, and now we see that this kind of interactivity is coming to Star Wars with Angry Birds Telepods. You've focused on online gameplay previously and to a lesser degree with the web component for Fighter Pods, but is this level of figure-game interactivity something that you could possibly see expanding beyond Angry Birds, perhaps even to basic figures?
- - The upcoming 41st Elite Corps Clone Trooper figure is missing several paint applications - the shoulders, hands, midsection, belt, and lower legs should all be gray, not white. Both previous versions of this clone have gotten these correct. Will this be fixed?
- - TIE Pilot Backstabber was first shown last year, and we realized that the deco was incorrect - his helmet should have two Imperial logos, even though a shadow does briefly cover up the one on his right side, leading some to think that he only has one Imperial logo. Now that he's scheduled for release, will this issue be addressed?
- - Are there any plans to release an Orray, the beast that carries the execution cart in Episode II? Were there plans for items like this that were intended for the 3D releases but had to be scrapped when the 3D releases were cancelled, and might they still make it out?
- - Will there be a street date for the Black Series or any other line this Fall?
Thanks for participating!