Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Here's one that's been bothering me for a couple years now:

What is wrong with Hasbro's product photographers? Every time Hasbro releases their "high resolution" production photos of upcoming figures the pictures are almost always terrible. The lighting is bad, the figures are posed in such a way that I wonder if the photographers have ever even seen Star Wars (much less a human body) before, and it's like they are trying their best to accentuate all of the flaws of the toy. So, do Hasbro's photographers realize that their job is to make their product look appealing? Because it sure doesn't seem like anyone has told them that.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say that it seems like Hasbro's photographers have never even seen the Star Wars movies before:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star-Wars-Kmart-Exclusive-AT-ST-02_1337395690.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	27636
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

LOL at your example, BigB!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Here's one that's been bothering me for a couple years now:

What is wrong with Hasbro's product photographers? Every time Hasbro releases their "high resolution" production photos of upcoming figures the pictures are almost always terrible. The lighting is bad, the figures are posed in such a way that I wonder if the photographers have ever even seen Star Wars (much less a human body) before, and it's like they are trying their best to accentuate all of the flaws of the toy. So, do Hasbro's photographers realize that their job is to make their product look appealing? Because it sure doesn't seem like anyone has told them that.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say that it seems like Hasbro's photographers have never even seen the Star Wars movies before:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star-Wars-Kmart-Exclusive-AT-ST-02_1337395690.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	27636
    I laughed hardily, but then remembered that part of it is Hasbro's main photographer of the last decade passed away, Gianni Lopergolo was good enough that Hasbro printed a book with his work and the proceeds go to the ALS foundation and his family: http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/insight...R=495&ID=24549

So it's kind of a tender issue probably, but if I can broach it, I will.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I laughed hardily, but then remembered that part of it is Hasbro's main photographer of the last decade passed away, Gianni Lopergolo was good enough that Hasbro printed a book with his work and the proceeds go to the ALS foundation and his family: http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/insight...R=495&ID=24549

So it's kind of a tender issue probably, but if I can broach it, I will.
    I think Gianni (and whoever took over for him) likely had very little to do with the photos that bigbarada is talking about. The product photography for the packaging and marketing materials is fine, but the photos that get sent to the fan sites - the ones that are on white backgrounds, with all the item's accessories in the photo, usually accompanied by packaged shots - are bad and getting worse. There's a definite distinction.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I think Gianni (and whoever took over for him) likely had very little to do with the photos that bigbarada is talking about. The product photography for the packaging and marketing materials is fine, but the photos that get sent to the fan sites - the ones that are on white backgrounds, with all the item's accessories in the photo, usually accompanied by packaged shots - are bad and getting worse. There's a definite distinction.
    I think he did both.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JT, since you're going to SDCC, should we go ahead and clean up the list of questions?

JT, since you're going to SDCC, should we go ahead and clean up the list of questions?
    Sure, that makes sense. I'm not hopeful at this point that we'll get interviews, I asked them point blank and they never got back to me on it. But you never know what'll happen, so it's better to have than have not.

Why don't you take the lead for right now, I've got a lot on my plate.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Sure, that makes sense. I'm not hopeful at this point that we'll get interviews, I asked them point blank and they never got back to me on it. But you never know what'll happen, so it's better to have than have not.

Why don't you take the lead for right now, I've got a lot on my plate.
    Sure thing. Today is pretty busy so it might be a few days.

Sure thing. Today is pretty busy so it might be a few days.
    Ok.

And I just got an email about them doing interviews for another Hasbro brand, so it's very likely we'll end up with a SW interview after all.

EDIT: definitely doing an interview with SW, now I need questions and/or topics.

Q: In their forecast, are economics looking that bad that they will remain producing scaled down vehicles and only major A or B characters and general troopers for the near future?

Translation: I want to know if I'll ever get my wish for more obscure characters for diorama building fans (which do include more Padme outfits though - and she is a main character) and if I'll get more regular size new vehicles (I'm thinking some of these have to be obscure or the obviously less popular ones, of course).

Q: Since Clone Wars characters are still seeing limited expression as realistic figures, will Clone Wars vehicles ever make production?

Translation: I'm thinking Hondo's tank and small fighter flying saucer, as well as the Jedi angel fish shaped ship, plus the Trandoshan capture vehicles, etc.

Q: What is the status of Hasbro's large vehicle program beyond Boba Fett's Slave-One, a repaint. Will there be any new molds?

Translation: will we see Jabba's Sailbarge, any class star destroyer, the blockade runner, Invisible Hand, sandcrawler, etc.

Of course attendees can ask these questions of the team on the floor. But it would be good to see if we get consistent answers.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.