Hybrid View

Darth Vader line look for later in 2013

Rebelscum's UK Toy Fair coverage shows images of products in different packaging alongside the green Yoda look - it's a ROTS-inspired Vader with Mustafar lava designs. There aren't any Hasbro products with the look (or any Hasbro products in general aside from a transforming larger-scale Anakin-to-Vader figure), but it seems to be the new standard line look.

I assumed that the Yoda look would encompass both AOTC and ROTS, especially since they're only being released in 3D a few weeks apart and he fights in both, but this makes sense. It's less garish than the 2005 look, but it is quite similar - though now Vader is reaching out at us (to focus on the 3D, perhaps?). I have to assume that there will be some unintentional overlap of the Yoda and Vader designs, but I wonder if they're supposed to both be featured alongside each other or if Vader will replace Yoda completely? Hasbro mentioned at CVI that Yoda would only last six or seven months, so it's probably meant as a replacement.

JediNews followed up, noting that this is indeed meant to be the line look for the later part of the year - they say it will start in August, though an October change would make more sense to come between AOTC and ROTS, but whatever.

I don't like the look of it. The color scheme brings back too many bad memories of ROTS merchandise rotting in the clearance aisle as recently as 2008.

Maybe if they had waited another 7-10 years, then I might have some feelings of nostalgia for that particular package design; but as it is, it just feels old and dusty even though it hasn't even been released yet.

I don't care for it either. Its just looks cheap and uninspired

Yikes, that is one ugly motif.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

It's extremely similar to the ugly, cartoony mess that was Hasbro's 2005 Target-exclusive Micro Vehicle packaging:
    http://jediinsider.com/index.php?itemid=6572&catid=8

Another cartoony Vader, another giant reaching hand towards the buyer, same Mustafar lava and colorscheme too. I guess the idea here is to tie into ROTS's 3D release, but holy nuts does this look awful.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.