Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jedibear View Post
    ....but I'm sure it'll be a hit and most moving-going folks will love it. Oh well....I'll always have the original six to watch and collect from....
    The good news is it only has to be better than Attack of the Clones. So the bars set really low...
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

I wasn't talking about this site in particular. First site to use "confirmed" is the one that gets my giggles.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The official site has confirmed it, so I guess it's officially official. Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg have been announced as consultants, bringing some conclusion to that rumor as well. I haven't seen much of Abrams' work aside from Super 8, but I really liked that, and he sounds like enough of a fan to do right by it, so hopefully this is good news.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I am not angered by this choice. Super 8 is one of my favorite recent films and I enjoyed the first few seasons of Lost and Alias. I suspect Disney's model for finding a director on SW was based on the way they found Joss Whedon for Avengers: get someone who has a proven background in developing a continuing story that resonates with a broad, dedicated fanbase and can produce often touching, memorable moments. I was not offended by Star Trek since I knew it would never be as nostalgic to me as the original series was or as cerebral as the Next Generation was or as awesome as the Deep Space Nine series was. It was a self contained story that was glued to the Joseph Campbell hero's journey model - something no iteration of Star Trek ever had before since everything about the characters in the films had already been established. That doesn't excuse redefining what Starfleet officers do to each other, twisting the expectations of a near half-century old universe, or rewriting logic, but I suspect the plan on such a large franchise did not originate and finish with a then unproven director. If any of you want to see some serious JJA craziness, read his pitch for a Superman film from about ten years ago. That was decidedly more irreverent than Star Trek. For those that don't know of it, here's a taste: Krypton never explodes, Jor-El is a Kryptonian martial artist, and the big reveal at the end is that Luthor is a Kryptonian (and therefore a martial artist). I did like the opening battle in the streets of Gotham City, though, and the story has an Elseworlds/alternate universe aesthetic to it that would have worked as a comic, but not as the beginning of a film series on such a recognizable character. I think some of the ideas in the script made their way into the Smallville show, but I could never really bring myself to watch much of it after the first couple of years.

JediTricks worst fear for Star Wars has been realized. J.J. Abrams is going to direct a movie. JT, you still think the Disney purchase of the Star Wars franchise couldn't end as bad as their Power Rangers franchise purchase?
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    JediTricks worst fear for Star Wars has been realized. J.J. Abrams is going to direct a movie. JT, you still think the Disney purchase of the Star Wars franchise couldn't end as bad as their Power Rangers franchise purchase?
    Ugh, I'm hoping you're wrong, this is a big money move at least so they're not planning on burying it... not intentionally anyway.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Ugh, I'm hoping you're wrong, this is a big money move at least so they're not planning on burying it... not intentionally anyway.
    At least not until they bury it unintentionally first. They'll accidentally "Frankenstein" the franchise into a horribly disfigured shell of what it once was (beyond even the damage of the prequel trilogy). Then they'll quietly try to hide the end result by burying it intentionally in the hopes that what few fans are left won't take notice.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces

I doubt it for quite a while, at least a dozen years, SW has a much bigger impact on society than MMOPR, the prequels couldn't kill interest in Star Wars as a pop culture touchstone (and really what I mean is merchandising sales), that's where continuing on stuff matters.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I doubt it for quite a while, at least a dozen years
    Well no one said it would be a quick death. It takes time to completely alienate your audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    Well no one said it would be a quick death. It takes time to completely alienate your audience.
    How long with MMPR?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.