Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Well, then, since I said "if they come out in 2012," that would make that moot....

I'm not trying to be negative; the Luke actually looks quite good. I just have absolutely no faith in Hasbro's ability to deliver it as promised, at least not for more than a couple of waves.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

As Beast said, I really do think the audience for these is going to be larger and stronger than it was for previous releases, so hopefully Hasbro will be able to meet the demand. Since figures are already $10, I don't think $20 for something at this level of detail is bad. This line is certainly more impressive to the average figure collector than, say, those new $13 12" figures with limited articulation and attached weapons.

We asked Hasbro about this sort of thing way back on November 3rd, 2006...
    ActionFigs.com: With Hasbro now producing 6" super articulated Marvel figures, could we eventually see a special line with 6" super articulated Star Wars figures?
    Hasbro: We have no plans for this type of figure line. As the heart and soul of the Star Wars collecting world, we are focused on making sure our 3-3/4" line is vibrant, fresh, and exciting first and foremost, along with providing continued newness for our other play patterns (Star Wars Transformers, Unleashed 2", and Galactic Heroes).

Another outlet asked them about that idea a year later, on December 7th, 2007...
    JediInsider.com: There seems to be a decent amount of interest from collectors for 6" Marvel Legends style Star Wars figures. What are the chances we might see a line like that in the future?
    Hasbro: We will not be producing a line like this for Star Wars. When we have tried other collector-targeted scales (like 7" Unleashed) we found that fan interest, when compared to the 3-3/4" system, is just not as strong. In addition, for kids, the 3-3/4" scale is also the best one for a wide-range of figures and vehicles that play together, which is critical to the Star Wars fantasy. Rather than spread too thin against collectors, we will be focusing our efforts against making sure the 3-3/4" is broad, as we have been for the past couple of years. We should note that the other sublines - Galactic Heroes, Star Wars Transformers, and Unelashed 2", have a very strong following among kids and we will continue these going forward as well.

Surprisingly, that's essentially all I can find in the Q&A about the idea, aside from Hasbro reiterating that stance when discussing the 3 3/4" system's superiority.

Another site is rumoring that this line will be a co-venture with Gentle Giant, which isn't entirely surprising judging from the looks of the sample figure - the types of sculpting and paint remind me more of GG than of Hasbro.

Personally, I'm of a mixed feelings on this. I do like the 3.75" line for its ability to interact with vehicles and for a compact display, but vehicles have dried up in quality and Hasbro's collector-focused figures feel like they're peaked in quality, there were a lot of "ok" figures in 2012 that failed to be wows due to little things but also couldn't be failures, and at $10 a piece an "ok" figure just doesn't satisfy. I also like the look of that Luke pilot 6" figure far beyond the 3.75" figure.

All that said, Hasbro hasn't really earned $20 from me on this yet, that's a lot of coin for not a lot of product, and Hasbro is notorious at missing the boat on fine quality products, they always end up going with mass-market quality paint and production mold crispness. Figures at this scale also tend to be brittle in their joints, and Hasbro has not had good luck in that department either. Will a line of figures this large be able to justify its higher costs? Marvel Legends uses buck parts and simplistic sculpting on the bodies to get around that issue, it wouldn't be possible here obviously. Will this line's complexity cause a quick price skyrocketing, the way TVC did? Finally, my biggest complaint is Hasbro's distribution problems over the last few years, will we get enough figures to satiate, will they clog shelves, will the line budget overwhelm it and shut it down in its infancy?

I do want Hasbro to be able to recapture the collector market, they tried to do so with TVC and it was met with mixed results, I don't want to invest in a new line of figures only to find partway through that it's coming up short and dead without major characters. That doesn't mean I'm out, but it does mean I'm cautious to my feelings on this matter.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If they are anything like the current figure lines, you'll never see these anyway since new figures never seem to hit retail anymore. At least not in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Maerj2000 View Post
    If they are anything like the current figure lines, you'll never see these anyway since new figures never seem to hit retail anymore. At least not in my area.
    Yeah... but a completely new toyline shouldn't have as much trouble in that area.

I wonder if they'll stick with the box design. If they do, I'm sure we'll get a hang tag stuck on.

Especially since shelf space is at a premium and stores will demand they can put these on hooks.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I'm actually pretty excited about this. That Luke figure looks amazing and I'm interested to see what a Sandtrooper and R2-D2 look like in this scale.

There's only a small handful of characters that I would consider paying $20 for 6" scale figures of and, interestingly enough, Luke X-Wing, R2-D2 and a Sandtrooper would be on that list.

I'm suddenly optimistic about the future of Star Wars collecting again.

Wonder what Wave 2 will have in store. Especially since Wave 1 is kinda quirky.

Judging by the breakdown of Wave 1... I'd assume 2 OT, 1 PT, 1 Army Builder.

So... Boba Fett, Han Solo: Bespin, Mace Windu, and Battle Droid.

Its going to be a wait and see for me on this. I'd like to have one in hand to see if it "feels" like its worth $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Wonder what Wave 2 will have in store. Especially since Wave 1 is kinda quirky.

Judging by the breakdown of Wave 1... I'd assume 2 OT, 1 PT, 1 Army Builder.

So... Boba Fett, Han Solo: Bespin, Mace Windu, and Battle Droid.
    The lack of Vader in wave one actually boggles my mind, I can't imagine they'd leave him out for long. Also why all these sandtroopers over regular stormtrooopers?

That being said, no thanks Hasbro. I will throw my voice in with those who worry what it will mean for for the 3.75" line. I'd hate to see quality squandered on the line after all this time. I do agree with Tycho to an extent that I would like to see more EU figures, though with the next trilogy throwing the fate of post-RotJ up in the air, I don't know what, if any we'll see.

However, the Luke picture does look good, and if they hold up as well in person, maybe, maaaaaybe, I'll pick up a few select characters. and a Jawa, because really, I cannot seem to resist those...
    ~Umbra: Light is only a shadow cast by the darkness of the stars