Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Has anyone opened them and sniffed them, actually?

I almost forgot and ignored the potential olfactory experience with these things.
    Nowhere near as good as the mouse droid. Harder plastic with an almost enamel smell.
    May the force be with you.

I'd figure (pun always intended) that they smell about twice as better (??) being almost twice as big. My calculator says 1.6 times better.

I did see my first 6" in a store (Luke). It looks cool, but not the figure I would buy.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Saw 1 each of these at Target yesterday, at first blush R2 didn't look quite as bad in person but then I noticed his left leg was bent in the middle notably, classy.

I picked up a replacement Maul, and the Sandtrooper. I haven't opened Maul yet.

The Sandtrooper has the same problem as Maul with his knee hinge pin being shot too short and not encompassing both halves of the outer side of the knee, which means he cannot bear as much weight without it bending out of place. To be honest, that was the final straw, I'm going to return it for my money back and walk away from this line entirely, and possibly let all my future Hasbro interests wane with it.

The Sandtrooper also had a head painted more than the body, and poor weathering about, purple lines where the wash was let to pool up around stuff. I'm also quite disappointed with how poorly these hands hold the weapons, especially the rifles, I can't find a pose that looks really solid yet and it's unlikely I ever will now. The lower body seems like it's out of proportion with the upper body, like this figure tapers from very thin legs up to a broad torso and shoulders; the legs seem so thin that I question whether they can actually avoid wilting under all the upper body weight on this figure, especially the ultra thin knee joints.

The neck hinge and ball-joint is an interesting joint, but leaving articulation up to the head limits the expression tilts possible, and I found this really stymieing with the Sandtrooper even more than Maul
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Sandtrooper and Maul went back to Target today. I started to explain to the girl what I was talking about, and IMMEDIATELY she looked at the knee and saw it despite it being subtle from the front. Didn't even bother looking at Maul for more than a second, took my word (rightly so as I'll show you in the images below from before I returned them).

You can actually see the incomplete pin's mushroomed end INSIDE the knee joint on each one from the back. Also note the missed hingepin hole on Maul from the opposite side, it's the same thing on the Sandtrooper but the phone's flash was too hot off the white armor so I couldn't get enough detail:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130827_115850.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	27875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130827_115830.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	27876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130827_115817.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	27877
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130827_114232.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	27878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130827_114115.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	27879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130827_114101.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	27880

I picked up a replacement Maul, the elbows have a few more degrees of bend in the joints due to the elbows not being seated fully into the biceps. The hips are loose on this one as well, he can't hold the best poses without help unfortunately. Paint is slightly better but has its own foibles, I was going to swap accessories and heads but the original's only keepers were the lightsaber hilt and the cloaked head, the rest was better on the new set.

I really dislike the bar hip design on these figures, the Sandtrooper's was worse than Maul's, it left the trooper's thighs far forward in the pelvis causing the figure's center of gravity to be too far forward, lending to a lot of falling down, and ugly walking/kneeling poses. It was also loose, if it's not going to float then why bother using it? I could understand a floating bar joint, that'd at least add range of motion, but without that feature it's ugly and pointless and limiting - that new Leia looks horrendous due to their use.

Also, upon examining the 2x R2-D2s in the store, both had their left legs noticeably bent, I think this may be a tray issue as the cause rather than a manufacturing defect, but the fact that the bend is so sharp means it's functionally the same problem, and would need some serious temperature to thermoset back to the original molding shape.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

My R2-D2's leg was like that too due to the packaging. It pretty much "bounced back" after opening.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I just opened my R2-D2. Since I'm not collecting the line, I won't comment on the size because I have nothing to compare it to. The side doors don't open wide enough and one of the dome panels becomes loose once you take it off for the first time. I would have preferred the lightsaber to fit inside the dome not stick out of it, but since I'll probably never use any of the accessories, that's not a big deal. He's supposed to be the "Clean" version, yet the right and left feet both have dirt paint on it, and it looks like it was done by a five year old. These are all really minor complaints and are nothing that would have deferred me from buying it, had I known it before purchase.

This complaint, however, is a big deal to me. The leg gimmick is neat, but it limits the head poses in roll position. All R2-D2 pictures I've seen doesn't have the solid rectangle on the third leg. In film, it looks as if the leg extracts to the silver tubes, (which are not painted on the figure). When doing this on the figure, his dome faces backwards, with no way (at least that I can see) with facing it forward. To get the head forward, you have to continue to extend the leg. When you do this, the CE brand on the rectangle portion of the leg is then visible. You essentially can only display it from the right side. I recommend picking him up, but only with a coupon or a sale/reduced price.

Other than that, I kinda like this figure. He is nice looking, but he is definitely not worth the $20 price tag, especially considering hes the same size as the 3.5" line. For 20 bucks, he should have included a spring loaded lightsaber feature and a Leia hologram.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    This complaint, however, is a big deal to me. The leg gimmick is neat, but it limits the head poses in roll position. All R2-D2 pictures I've seen doesn't have the solid rectangle on the third leg. In film, it looks as if the leg extracts to the silver tubes, (which are not painted on the figure). When doing this on the figure, his dome faces backwards, with no way (at least that I can see) with facing it forward. To get the head forward, you have to continue to extend the leg. When you do this, the CE brand on the rectangle portion of the leg is then visible. You essentially can only display it from the right side. I recommend picking him up, but only with a coupon or a sale/reduced price.
    I don't own any of these, but from what I understand, can't you extend the third leg to the level you want, then hold it there and rotate the dome manually to achieve the desired look?
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I don't own any of these, but from what I understand, can't you extend the third leg to the level you want, then hold it there and rotate the dome manually to achieve the desired look?
    You can't hold it in place, but can extend the leg all the way out, then click the head into a new position (which is strictly a guess and check method), then turn retract the leg back to where you want it. Then when you retract the leg completely, the head will need to be clicked around again.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    You can't hold it in place, but can extend the leg all the way out, then click the head into a new position (which is strictly a guess and check method), then turn retract the leg back to where you want it. Then when you retract the leg completely, the head will need to be clicked around again.
    That's such an annoying feature for them to add to this figure. Why not just give him a removable third leg and do away with all the internal mechanisms? Even if this R2 figure had been perfect (which it is far from), this dumb "action feature" would probably still be a deal-breaker for me.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

So, wait, let me get this straight:

They put a tried (and proven untrue) kiddie gimmick on the leg of a figure they hyped as being an adult collector.

JT, where's the facepalm smiley?
    Tommy, close your eyes.