Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 194
  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    6" Collectors hate seeing flesh colored plastic used. As it tends to look waxy rather than like flesh.

    You guys are so used to the 4" scale. But most of the issues are stuff that they don't tend to do in 6".
    I collect 12" scale figures as well, and still hate painted faces in this scale - to me, it always looks cheap and naff.
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

  2. #142
    I recently bought a Sandtrooper, thus completing the first wave. The sand weathering on mine is distributed very evenly - the helmet matches the body nicely. The paint is shoddy on the belt, though, with the raised panels getting heavy paint and the lower panels getting none. The backpack is more rubbery than I'd like, but the level of detail on this figure all around is astounding, especially on the weapons. But now that I've got all four of the wide release figures, I can say that I am definitely a fan of this line.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

  3. #143
    I finally caved and bough an R2, making sure to find one that had good paint on the dome because I've seen a ton with slop and scratches and mistakes like that. Naturally the one I found turns out to be SERIOUSLY defective:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130921_131817-ed.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	27950

    That is so frustrating, I cannot imagine how this piece left the factory in this shape, I can't even imagine how this happened since clearly it was after assembly. If forced to guess, I'd say a machine/clamp holds the figure for paint masking and this unit got jammed onto it funky.

    And the dumbest part was I had just worked to figure out the paint lock on the left foot (the silver paint had fused to the ankle) and how to break it without cutting the tightly-assembled parts around it.

    As a stand-alone piece, this isn't bad, it's nicer than it appears in the pictures. There are some flaws that are drawbacks: the tabs on the dome panels that remove are a biggie especially when the panels don't match up sizing to the painted panels around them. The dome lacks the paint in the readout displays (the wide display is painted black, what's up with that?). The 2 hexagonal heat exhaust ports (lower right front, lower left rear) are sculpted to look good from the front and then stretch out to look bad from the side. The white plastic used for the PVC deco is a little chintzy and doesn't hold up as nicely as the white plastic on the ABS (which also ain't all that great, but at least has body). They didn't include movable grasper arms or the scomp link or saw blade. Those are all little things.

    Actually, the lack of the scomp link grates on my nerves the more I think about it, they included an alternate pokey thing that Gentle Giant had planned to include with their now-cancelled statue but it was an ALTERNATE to the scomp, not a replacement for it.

    The big issues on this piece start with the scale, it's unacceptable and at $20 there simply isn't enough going on here to justify that dollar amount, not in size and not in detail and not in deco, so if it also can't stand with other figures without looking wrong, it's very difficult to justify. I bought it knowing that and expecting to keep it as a stand-alone, since that's now how I'm approaching this line.

    The middle leg gimmick sacrifices dome functionality and that's a real shame, not only are several gimmicks left out, but those still used are underwhelming and lack the punch they deserve, the saber doesn't sit lower, the periscope eye doesn't periscope, the scanner doesn't even come out of the right panel. The middle leg itself would be fine if it just stopped where it was supposed to, but instead there's this extra length that looks attrocious AND makes it a frustration to position the dome with the middle leg extended where you want them.

    As if that wasn't bad enough, the middle foot also has a very stupid flaw, instead of moving freely on its joint there's a semi-circle that is a flat detail piece in the movie prop but here it sticks out considerably so it limits the movement a little - this actually wouldn't be a big deal since the foot can bend past this, except the EXACT correct angle for the foot in 3-legged mode is the corner where there just isn't enough friction, so it kicks it back out and the feet refuse to stay flat on the ground together, it's infuriating since this is the key look for the figure.

    Another frustration that takes its toll on this figure is the removable leg panels. In order to accommodate the CGI leg jet gimmick from the prequel-era that isn't appropriate to anything else on this figure, they made the regular panels removable. However the panels are too thick so it looks bad from the front angles, and are painted thickly so without scraping that off it causes the thin part of the legs to push in ever so slightly.

    I haven't decided if I will buy a replacement or just get my money back, but it's not as bad as pics look, although it's still pretty problematic.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  4. #144
    I've literally read through this entire thread and it has all confirmed my original posts. This line seems like a big waste of money/time and, once again, confirms my being glad that I don't collect anymore.

    The fact that most of the individuals in here have gotten figures with defects (and JT's seems horrendous) and we're only a small portion of the collector population makes me wonder what kind of QC (or lack thereof) they're employing. This thread has the usual apologizers and ones that won't be swayed but everyone else is being honest in pretty much saying that this line isn't worth it.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    This thread has the usual apologizers and ones that won't be swayed but everyone else is being honest in pretty much saying that this line isn't worth it.
    So, everyone who has a positive impression of this line is an "apologizer" and the people criticizing the line are the only ones being truthful?

    I could nitpick these figures to death if I wanted to, but that's just not why I collect. Because if all I'm doing is focusing on negatives and only talking about what Hasbro got wrong, then I really see no point in spending my money on this stuff at all. As long as I feel that the positives of the figure outweigh the negatives, then I'm satisfied with it. If that's not critical enough for you, then I'm sorry; but I don't collect for you, I collect for myself. So, it's a little annoying to feel like I'm being insulted just because I choose to overlook certain flaws.

    I only bought two figures from wave 1, Sandtrooper and Luke, and I don't have any real plans to buy another figure from this line until the Stormtrooper gets released in wave 3. Of the 2 Sandtroopers and one X-Wing Luke that I picked up, I have experienced zero manufacturing defects on any of those figures. So I can't speak towards that because the figures that I've bought had no major problems, other than minor paint flaws.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    So, everyone who has a positive impression of this line is an "apologizer" and the people criticizing the line are the only ones being truthful?
    No sense bothering to debate or discuss with people here on SSG anymore.

    There's a reason the site is basically dead and nobody posts here anymore.

    The silly cries of "fanboyism" and "apologists" are so very very tiring to see people use.

    It's such a strawman argument. Especially since the 6" Collector Websites like Fwoosh are glowing with praise.

    And it's certainly not due to "fanboys" or "apologists", since they're for the most part not big SW fans.

    Hell... the site is more known for Superhero Figure Fans. But they love well done 6" figures in general.

    Is the line perfect? Hell no. But no line is out of the gate. But it's certainly better than people here are saying.

    It's a shame what SSG has turned into. It's like the Jedi Order in ANH... and it's fire has gone out of the universe.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    No sense bothering to debate or discuss with people here on SSG anymore.

    There's a reason the site is basically dead and nobody posts here anymore.

    The silly cries of "fanboyism" and "apologists" are so very very tiring to see people use.

    It's such a strawman argument. Especially since the 6" Collector Websites like Fwoosh are glowing with praise.

    And it's certainly not due to "fanboys" or "apologists", since they're for the most part not big SW fans.

    Hell... the site is more known for Superhero Figure Fans. But they love well done 6" figures in general.

    Is the line perfect? Hell no. But no line is out of the gate. But it's certainly better than people here are saying.

    It's a shame what SSG has turned into. It's like the Jedi Order in ANH... and it's fire has gone out of the universe.
    No, SSG's forums are dead for three reasons:

    1. There haven't been any Star Wars movies in quite some time.
    2. There is a lack of interesting products put out by Hasbro compunded by major distribution problems.
    3. Anytime someone criticizes something that Hasbro or Lucasfilms does, they get blasted for not being a "true fan" because they don't love every piece of crap Hasbro and Lucas throw at us.

    Quit taking it personally if some people don't like this stuff.
    I am the modern man.

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Roboto View Post
    No, SSG's forums are dead for three reasons:

    1. There haven't been any Star Wars movies in quite some time.
    2. There is a lack of interesting products put out by Hasbro compunded by major distribution problems.
    3. Anytime someone criticizes something that Hasbro or Lucasfilms does, they get blasted for not being a "true fan" because they don't love every piece of crap Hasbro and Lucas throw at us.

    Quit taking it personally if some people don't like this stuff.
    Who's taking it personally? Are you reading some other post or something?

    I don't care if you don't like this stuff. I do. And that's who I'm buying it for.

    Funny how Rebelscum and other Star Wars forums are thriving then... isn't it.

    I guess there must be a new movie, great new products, and such in that reality of the internet.

    But thanks for proving my point. You can return to your strawman arguments now.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

  9. #149
    My brother bought the sandtrooper and I thought it was pretty neat, so I ended up getting one for myself. I think the helmet part is painted a little more than the rest of the armor, but its not bad. I'll probably end up getting the stormtrooper when it shows up. I swore I wasn't going to get into this 6" line, so much for that.

    JT, I saw an R2 at Target the yesterday, and it was a pretty pathetic piece of plastlic. The paint job was terrible and one of the legs was shorter than the other. This one is a definite pass to me.

  10. #150
    The Sandtrooper is absolutely the big hit of the first wave.

    Just the attention to detail finally nailing all those armor differences details from the film on a figure.

    Darth Maul and Luke are great as well. And hopefully R2-D2 will eventually get a 2nd better figure.

    Though standing next to Luke X-Wing he doesn't look that bad at all. Especially if you get one with good paint.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO