Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 194
  1. #151
    I'm sort of agreeing with Mr. Roboto and Slicker here.

    The first thing I don't like is the lack of civility. But it is worse at rebelscum than it is here.

    I saw a thread where my own friend BigBarada here was mistreated over at rebelscum about one dumb issue or another.

    Mr. Roboto: You are right that there is a lack of interesting product. I do not buy more Resculpts of figures I already own. Yes Slicker, Those are apologists that are claiming how great the new black line is.

    It offers me little but I will buy three figures: Plagueis, 6" ROTS Obi-Wan, 6"ROTS Bespin Luke.

    If the 3 3/4" Dagobah Luke is interesting with his jacket open I'll consider it.

    I am usually not posting because I do not want to add to the negativity but at least I am NOT attacking others.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  2. #152
    Gotta love how calling people "Fanboys" and "Apologists" doesn't seem to count as attacking others in your view.

    And did you miss the fact that Big Barada was pretty much attached here for liking the line as well?

    Gotta love the double standards that anyone who actually likes the line can't be doing so cause they genuinely do.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

  3. #153
    You're right in a few counts, Beast.

    First I'll note that the line is for kids. I don't want han Solo Hoth because I have him. But there hasn't been one on a card since 2011 I think.

    If a kid was born in 2010 and just discovering Star Wars around the age we were when we did... he could find Han Hoth in target - And maybe his mom would only need to pay $5.99 for it or if she'll shell out 11 bucks...

    But let me rephrase my feelings that it's okay to dislike this line by Hasbro since I want never made before characters even if obscure.

    Anyone has a right to like another Darth Vader I suppose. In tune with what Mr.Roboto said, the forums might be slow since there are fans like me who are not going to want to waste their time talking about the Darth Vader let alone buying one.

    I am mad that Hasbro didn't listen and make Mara Skywalker Jedi.

    I'm a fanboy because I want that. I'm not buying Mara Jade because I have some discriminating taste.

    And I might be apologizing for Hasbro with my Han Hoth comment above.

    If they re released him I may not comment about it because I have nothing to say. Certainly nothing positive or what would make it fun for a new Star Wars fan who never had that figure of Han before.

    Forums can die with negativity from old cynics like me, encouraging young bloods to patronize new sites elsewhere. So I can help by not posting anything negative but I can't do anything about not being enthusiastic about participating either in regards two figures like Han Solo Hoth who I have no desire for.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  4. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    First I'll note that the line is for kids.
    Not really. The Black Series is a Collector Focused Line. So your points that follow don't really make any sense.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

  5. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    I've literally read through this entire thread and it has all confirmed my original posts. This line seems like a big waste of money/time and, once again, confirms my being glad that I don't collect anymore.

    The fact that most of the individuals in here have gotten figures with defects (and JT's seems horrendous) and we're only a small portion of the collector population makes me wonder what kind of QC (or lack thereof) they're employing. This thread has the usual apologizers and ones that won't be swayed but everyone else is being honest in pretty much saying that this line isn't worth it.
    What defects do you mean Slick? What's wrong with these 2 that I just picked up on Tuesday?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130925_134440.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	27954 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130925_134515.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	27952
    Yup, my 2nd Sandtrooper, and his paint-locked hip also was coming apart when I first started to examine, so I cut the paint lock. The joint is still too stiff to use, but it's also come apart so badly that it simply comes right off the figure when I try. The wrist was joint-locked but the hot water trick most freed that up, it was gummy as hell so I froze it after and then the PVC was nearly locked again but at least usable.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130925_134250.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	27953
    This is the R2 I'm keeping unless I see better (the one I had before was better, minus the shoulders being ruined). This is the best I can hope for, the masking is so far off on those front panels but was WORSE on the other 3 in the store that I turned down. How is this so friggin hard to cut a paint mask that fits and then paint inside it?

    It's TWENTY DOLLARS A FIGURE! Twenty bucks each and I've had a success rate of 1:6 - my second Maul is the only one I feel confident about - even if my experiences are anomalies, how do you have a QC rate even half that poor? This line might be worth collecting, but it can't get past its own missteps and, I hate to say it, mismanagement - that R2 scale, middle leg gimmick, and other choices can't be called anything else, I'm sorry. I love team Star Wars Hasbro, but this is ridiculous, this is no way to build market loyalty.


    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    So, everyone who has a positive impression of this line is an "apologizer" and the people criticizing the line are the only ones being truthful?

    I could nitpick these figures to death if I wanted to, but that's just not why I collect. Because if all I'm doing is focusing on negatives and only talking about what Hasbro got wrong, then I really see no point in spending my money on this stuff at all. As long as I feel that the positives of the figure outweigh the negatives, then I'm satisfied with it. If that's not critical enough for you, then I'm sorry; but I don't collect for you, I collect for myself. So, it's a little annoying to feel like I'm being insulted just because I choose to overlook certain flaws.

    I only bought two figures from wave 1, Sandtrooper and Luke, and I don't have any real plans to buy another figure from this line until the Stormtrooper gets released in wave 3. Of the 2 Sandtroopers and one X-Wing Luke that I picked up, I have experienced zero manufacturing defects on any of those figures. So I can't speak towards that because the figures that I've bought had no major problems, other than minor paint flaws.
    FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

    What do you consider "minor" paint flaws? And are you factoring the price into your positivity or is that separated? To some collectors, that's a big weight on this line, so it helps to know where a fellow collector stands. Sideshow Grievous might be the best thing since sliced bread to someone who can wipe their nose with twenty dollar bills, but at $200 I really cannot see where my hard-earned money is going on that one, so it mitigates a potentially great figure - "of course it's going to be fairly good, it's the price of a used '80s Toyota Corolla".


    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    No sense bothering to debate or discuss with people here on SSG anymore.

    There's a reason the site is basically dead and nobody posts here anymore.

    The silly cries of "fanboyism" and "apologists" are so very very tiring to see people use.

    It's such a strawman argument. Especially since the 6" Collector Websites like Fwoosh are glowing with praise.

    And it's certainly not due to "fanboys" or "apologists", since they're for the most part not big SW fans.

    Hell... the site is more known for Superhero Figure Fans. But they love well done 6" figures in general.

    Is the line perfect? Hell no. But no line is out of the gate. But it's certainly better than people here are saying.

    It's a shame what SSG has turned into. It's like the Jedi Order in ANH... and it's fire has gone out of the universe.
    You were more fun when you were the one who quit collecting SW. Anyway, the site is in hibernation largely due to Hasbro choking the life out of collecting for the last 2 years, and Steve as well as myself having real life stuff we each have to deal with ahead of the site's needs. And aside from Slicker, nobody has really gotten deep into that "fanboyism" and "apologist" thing in a long time, certainly there's far less of it here than other SW sites - but you're not citing one of the SW sites, you're citing Fwoosh who kissed SDCC Boba Fett figure's behind despite serious drawbacks in sculpting and quality there - but I guess if you can't be honest, at least be a cheerleader, eh? I'll take a more realistic perspective at this though, one that isn't blinded by newness. (Of course, their forums have people digging at these figures too, but we'll pretend that they don't exist for the sake of your argument.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Roboto View Post
    No, SSG's forums are dead for three reasons:

    1. There haven't been any Star Wars movies in quite some time.
    2. There is a lack of interesting products put out by Hasbro compunded by major distribution problems.
    3. Anytime someone criticizes something that Hasbro or Lucasfilms does, they get blasted for not being a "true fan" because they don't love every piece of crap Hasbro and Lucas throw at us.

    Quit taking it personally if some people don't like this stuff.
    Ding ding! Give the man a cigar.


    Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    My brother bought the sandtrooper and I thought it was pretty neat, so I ended up getting one for myself. I think the helmet part is painted a little more than the rest of the armor, but its not bad. I'll probably end up getting the stormtrooper when it shows up. I swore I wasn't going to get into this 6" line, so much for that.

    JT, I saw an R2 at Target the yesterday, and it was a pretty pathetic piece of plastlic. The paint job was terrible and one of the legs was shorter than the other. This one is a definite pass to me.
    Yeah, a lot of the sandtroopers have extra weathering on the helmets. I've only seen 2 in stores, bought them both (and had to return them both), the first one was extra weathered like you're saying, and this second one in the pic above is less so but the weathering has obvious brush strokes right up front. If I find a 3rd one, I'll maybe swap out this helmet for that figure's as I suspect it'll be heavy as well.

    R2 is not well-presented in package, it's not as bad as it seems in the box, and the legs being different lengths is probably due to the angle they were clumsily jammed into the tray. Still, I couldn't recommend the figure even in pristine condition based on the issues that it does have, but I wouldn't say "definitely pass" until you experience one out of package first.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I'm sort of agreeing with Mr. Roboto and Slicker here.

    The first thing I don't like is the lack of civility. But it is worse at rebelscum than it is here.

    I saw a thread where my own friend BigBarada here was mistreated over at rebelscum about one dumb issue or another.

    Mr. Roboto: You are right that there is a lack of interesting product. I do not buy more Resculpts of figures I already own. Yes Slicker, Those are apologists that are claiming how great the new black line is.

    It offers me little but I will buy three figures: Plagueis, 6" ROTS Obi-Wan, 6"ROTS Bespin Luke.

    If the 3 3/4" Dagobah Luke is interesting with his jacket open I'll consider it.

    I am usually not posting because I do not want to add to the negativity but at least I am NOT attacking others.
    There's almost nothing to collect and not much positive to talk about, that's pretty much it exactly. And yeah, it's driving fans from all sites a little battier than usual, not just ours, not just driving many collectors away.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Gotta love how calling people "Fanboys" and "Apologists" doesn't seem to count as attacking others in your view. http://www.sirstevesguide.com/images...s/rolleyes.gif

    And did you miss the fact that Big Barada was pretty much attached here for liking the line as well?

    Gotta love the double standards that anyone who actually likes the line can't be doing so cause they genuinely do.
    Gotta love how you're the only one who has used "fanboy" in this conversation, and if you don't think you're taking it personally from Slicker - who has always been a certain type of vocal and direct-posting fellow - look how many times you've posted in this thread in the past week compared to... well, all of your posting habits over the past 5 years on SSG. This despite the fact that Slicker named neither you nor bigbarada personally. No dude, you ARE invested personally in this 6" line, and that's fine, that's good that you're having fun, but don't pretend that's not the case that it's personal for you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Not really. The Black Series is a Collector Focused Line. So your points that follow don't really make any sense.
    He's talking about the entire The Black Series, mostly 3.75". But c'mon, that leg gimmick on R2, that's a kiddie gimmick that ruins the figure, that's not for collectors at all. Why Luke Pilot in wave 1 if not for his colorful recognizability? No collector was DYING to get that version of Luke up front in a new scale that will never have an X-wing to go with it. Who are all those Anakins and Vaders in the 3.75" line stuck on pegs now for? Where are the aliens and background guys in TBS 3.75"? None in wave 1. Resculpts of background Jedi in wave 2. What about the winning Mara Jade Skywalker getting torpedoed for recognizability? The collector focus is heavily compromised by Hasbro to reach out to kids, the first few waves of those are still that same kid focus.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  6. #156
    I was looking at Darth Maul in the store and really considering buying him, but I might wait for a different day. The had 2 X-wing Lukes there, but I wasn't terribly impressed by those. Something about the leg and torso proportions that seemed off to me. I also didn't care for the orange hair paint job either.

    I'd like to say that, even though SSG doesn't have the activity that RS or RPF has, I'm alright with that. Alot of times you have to wade through mindless chit chat to get to something significant. Its especially bad when members get into slap fights, as I call them, with one another. Here, most of the time when people post something, they've got something to say, especially the senior members.

  7. #157
    I still haven't bought any of the 6" line. I came close to picking up the sandtrooper last weekend but couldn't bring myself to it.

  8. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    What do you consider "minor" paint flaws? And are you factoring the price into your positivity or is that separated? To some collectors, that's a big weight on this line, so it helps to know where a fellow collector stands. Sideshow Grievous might be the best thing since sliced bread to someone who can wipe their nose with twenty dollar bills, but at $200 I really cannot see where my hard-earned money is going on that one, so it mitigates a potentially great figure - "of course it's going to be fairly good, it's the price of a used '80s Toyota Corolla".
    I take both the price and the fact that these are produced by Hasbro into consideration.

    If you look at our options, we have the $6 Saga Legends line, the $10 "Premium" 3.75" line, and then the $20 6" line. After that there is nothing until you get to the $80 Gentle Giant Jumbo Kenner line and then the $120+ Sideshow 12" line.

    So, the $20 pricetag is factored into my opinion of this line, but only because it's so low in comparison to Gentle Giant and Sideshow.

    Also, this is Hasbro we're talking about. Expecting a high-quality collectors line out of Hasbro is like expecting gourmet food out of McDonalds. You might be fortunate enough 2 or 3 times in your life to get some amazing food out of McDonalds, but most of the time you're just lucky if you don't drive home with food poisoning.

    It's the same with Hasbro. You just have to expect a certain low-quality to even their most "premium" toy offerings. Every once in a while, they'll surprise you and turn out something amazing (TVC Gamorrean Guard); but most of the time you're just going to end up with a children's toy. Even the 6" line says 'ages 4+' on the packaging so those figures still qualify as children's toys.

    Now if I buy something from Sideshow that's designed with the intention of being a high-quality collectors item, I'm much more demanding. For instance, I was initially excited about the 12" Bossk figure, but have seen way too many minor flaws on the figure to justify paying close to $200 for it. If that had been a $100 figure, then it would be in my collection now and I would be able to overlook those flaws.

    Also, after so many years collecting vintage Kenner figures, I'm a bit desensitized to price and $20 per figure still feels cheap to me. I don't really start becoming super nitpicky until the price crosses the $75 mark.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

  9. #159
    Wow.... This got really heated really fast.

    Personally, I've not been impressed. I don't care if anyone else is or isn't. But I'd like to point out that I also take into account that these "premium" figures are made by Hasbro....

    ...The same Hasbro that routinely makes G.I. Joe figures for half the price that stomp The Black Series in pretty much every way. More joints, better paint application, more accessories. Look at figures like the Cobra Combat Ninja, Kwinn, or the Data-Viper; Hasbro should be able to do a lot more with a figure that costs twice as much, and they simply haven't. (The three examples I used were only from the latest wave; Low-Light and Commando Snake Eyes are two or three years old and still light-years beyond than any Star Wars figure ever produced by Hasbro in any size).

    Hasbro also makes Transformers that tend to be a bit more hit-and-miss in terms of quality, but routinely have a lot more moving parts, even on figures that sell for a quarter of The Black Series' $20 price tag, with joint issues being quite rare.

    Just saying, if you like 'em, go ahead and like 'em. I happen to be underwhelmed.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

  10. #160
    I have a civil question. If a 6" $20 figure is for collectors why does Luke not have a holster for his blaster or just not include the blaster?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO