Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Luke X-Wing is lame. Why not use farm boy Luke? You know, the iconic one that everyone knows? R2 is good so that's the only one. Why make a Sandtrooper instead of making a Stormtrooper? And heaven forbid they make a prequel Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan instead of fanboy Maul. This line is dead before even starting.
    Cause Farmboy Luke is a boring costume that doesn't really show off impressive sculpting. While Luke: Jedi Knight is more impressive, it's still nothing really special. Luke X-Wing packs in a ton of details and really showcases the sculpt. There's a reason they went with that costume for the Unleashed line a few years back as well. All of the pockets, folds, and equipment. It's really showing what Hasbro can deliver for this line.

Making a Sandtrooper first allows them to show off they're nailing the armor difference between the Stormtrooper and Sandtrooper right out of the gate. Plus they can reuse 80% of it for an eventual Stormtrooper. Plus like Luke: X-Wing they have more cool details to showcase the sculpting. Plus keeping the Stormtrooper back for future waves gives people something to anticipate. And shows that Hasbro has faith in the line. They probably also know they'll have to heavy pack an eventual Stormtrooper so wanna put him in a Wave with less popular characters.

I'm sure they will make Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan eventually. But Darth Maul is a more visually dynamic character.

And you're clueless if you think the line is D.O.A., as almost every forum is ablaze with excitement.

Even from people who would normally never collect Star Wars, because the don't collect 3 3/4".
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Buzzsaw arm? Drink tray? Holographic Princess Leia? Any, or all, of those would have been better than the booster rockets.

Again, though, it's just nitpicking. I'm pretty excited about it overall.
    All good points though. This R2 doesn't even have the opening door for the buzzsaw arm, and the body arms don't move (the angled blue panels just below his dome) either. So the boosters are a compromise to prequelitis. The piece looks good, no question, but they made the choices they made for compromise, not to better the figure.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If they do a RotJ R2-D2 they can include the Drink Tray and Buzzsaw Arm. No loss there.

The body arms even at 6" would probably be too fragile to articulate them. So no loss.

I can see Holo Leia coming with either Princess Leia:ANH or C-3PO. Since both are Accessory Light characters.

So again... I don't see the issue with including the Booster Rockets. Especially as R2 uses them more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    If they do a RotJ R2-D2 they can include the Drink Tray and Buzzsaw Arm. No loss there.

The body arms even at 6" would probably be too fragile to articulate them. So no loss.

I can see Holo Leia coming with either Princess Leia:ANH or C-3PO. Since both are Accessory Light characters.

So again... I don't see the issue with including the Booster Rockets. Especially as R2 uses them more than once.
    This is an OT figure, remember that the waves are 75% OT and 25% PT, and this wave already has a PT figure in Maul, so this is an unwelcome compromise on a figure that's supposed to represent the OT version of the character.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Don't mean to sound negative, but for a $20 R2-D2 at approximately three inches tall, he'd better include every single accessory the character is shown using for me to give a fart.

He looks awesome. I won't deny it. But twenty bucks with the collector having to compromise on iconic accessories when those could've easily been included since he's so much smaller than the others? Not acceptable for me.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    This is an OT figure, remember that the waves are 75% OT and 25% PT, and this wave already has a PT figure in Maul, so this is an unwelcome compromise on a figure that's supposed to represent the OT version of the character.
    No. He's an Saga Character. As he looks the same in every film in the series. So that's ridiculous to say.

It's not an unwelcome compromise. It's just an accessory you don't like. Get over it.

While it would be great if he had every accessory I can see why they left these few off.

Especially the Drink Tray. Which would make more sense on a RotJ reissue. Same with Saw.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Don't mean to sound negative, but for a $20 R2-D2 at approximately three inches tall, he'd better include every single accessory the character is shown using for me to give a fart.

He looks awesome. I won't deny it. But twenty bucks with the collector having to compromise on iconic accessories when those could've easily been included since he's so much smaller than the others? Not acceptable for me.
    Yeah, I hear that. This is one of those situations where I feel like Hasbro puts their backs up against the wall with budget choices, they kill features to match budget but put in features nobody wants to see on the piece to compromise, so now they either have to double dip or settle for a lesser-than product.

No. He's an Saga Character. As he looks the same in every film in the series. So that's ridiculous to say.

It's not an unwelcome compromise. It's just an accessory you don't like. Get over it.

While it would be great if he had every accessory I can see why they left these few off.

Especially the Drink Tray. Which would make more sense on a RotJ reissue. Same with Saw.
    Oh, this is an all-movies figure? That's why every other aspect of it is from the OT, like the Periscope Eye and Luke's ROTJ lightsaber, both seen in ROTJ, as well as the life form scanner and fine welder arm from ESB? And yet there's no oil projector from ROTS, no left-side lower grasper arm from TPM, no dome-based electro-blaster from ROTS, the extension arms inside the linkage control arms from ROTS, pretty much nothing from the prequels except these budget-slaughtering booster rockets. That's an unwelcome compromise, now we don't get a better OT R2-D2 and we don't get a better PT R2-D2, there's no getting over that, it's either a double dip or missed opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    All good points though. This R2 doesn't even have the opening door for the buzzsaw arm, and the body arms don't move (the angled blue panels just below his dome) either. So the boosters are a compromise to prequelitis. The piece looks good, no question, but they made the choices they made for compromise, not to better the figure.
    The long panel on the left side looks like it opens. It's not shown open in the official photo or in the booth photos, but it definitely looks like it's a separate piece from the body, so it's entirely possible that the buzz saw is in there (even if it's not completely movie accurate).

The OT still gets three accessories in the periscope, lightsaber, and scanner, plus the saga-spanning arm, so is it really that much of a travesty that they threw us PT fans a bone? It's not like they're these huge, giant accessories - I doubt the drink tray could have been included instead of these; that's a much bigger piece. I don't remember Hasbro saying the waves would be 75% OT to 25% PT - the USA Today article only says the line would "primarily" be OT, and that's not even a direct Derryl quote. You said it yourself that the booster rockets are the only PT accessories, so it's not like the OT's being ignored here or anything.

And you're clueless if you think the line is D.O.A., as almost every forum is ablaze with excitement.
    Are these the same forums that demanded a Yarna? That one worked out well.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Are these the same forums that demanded a Yarna? That one worked out well.
    I remember being one those people who campaigned for Yarna. However, I also remember how muted my excitement was when she was finally announced. I think every once in a while we want figures just because Hasbro seems reluctant to make them (I think that's the only way to explain Jocasta Nu). While it was nice to check Yarna's name off of the list of never-before-made ROTJ figures, I was hardly excited by the figure. In fact, I didn't buy her right away. It wasn't until she was out for a few months that I actually added her to my collection. Even then, that was hardly an exciting moment.

(And, for the record, I have yet to buy Jocasta Nu and I have absolutely no plans to.)

My excitement level for the 6" line is on a completely different scale and I don't think I'm alone. There's even a Facebook fan page devoted to the upcoming 6" line and it's already received over 1000 "likes" within just a few weeks:
    http://www.facebook.com/StarWarsTheBlackSeries

As someone who runs a Facebook fan page, that's no trivial accomplishment.

Anyways, kind of a shift in topic, but I've been hearing a lot of comments about how "strange" the character choices are for wave 1 of the 6" line. I was listening to the "Galaxy of Toys" podcast the other day and they asked what figures we would choose if wave 1 had been up to us.

Personally, I wouldn't change anything except Darth Maul, who I would replace with Bossk. Then have Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Bespin Han Solo and C-3PO for wave 2.

So, if you could choose the first two waves of this line, who would you choose?