Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    I opened up my Sandtrooper and he turned out fine. The only thing I did not like was the helmet having much more paint wash than the rest of the body but that's something a little bit of carefully applied acetone can fix.

I'm opening up Maul tonight so hopefully I like that one more than some others have.

I finally got Darth Maul yesterday at Target after finding one with acceptable paint. I've only been able to futz with it a little bit, but the two words that kept going through my mind were "F***IN' SWEET!" The added articulation takes a little bit to get used to, such as the legs, since they need to be rotated differently from the 3 3/4" super-articulated figures, but I was still able to do some cool kicking poses. The head articulation allows for a much wider range of movement, allowing Maul to glare in numerous ways. If you go in expecting a high-end collectible, you might be disappointed. But if you go in just expecting a big cool action figure, you'll be more into this one. I'll have a more thorough review soon.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I opened my sandtrooper this morning, it's very underwhelming. His right leg is completely awkward. While it doesn't have the ball joint problem that JT did, you can't turn the legs out, so he's permanently in that, "I'm riding a miniature horse" pose. Also, whats up with the foot joint? Why do they rotate the way they do? It took me time to get him to stand, and when I finally did, he looks like a child trying to take their first step.

While I think he looks nice (outside of all the dirt on the helmet), I have found him to be completely disappointing and impractical. I have a Mexican knock-off 6" sandtrooper from the POTF line and this one feels exactly the same. Why if so many toy companies have been able to make 6" figures look nice and be practical, does Hasbro fall on their face? Is this where we are supposed to stick around and let them work through the kinks and in 5 years we have a perfect figure? Because at $20 that's not going to happen. I don't understand why they just couldn't take the 3" figure design and mold, scale it up, and improve on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    That's such an annoying feature for them to add to this figure. Why not just give him a removable third leg and do away with all the internal mechanisms? Even if this R2 figure had been perfect (which it is far from), this dumb "action feature" would probably still be a deal-breaker for me.
    It seems to me they just could have had a pull down third leg and everyone would have been happy. But Hasbro's all about "Action Features" so who cares about customer approval.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

I haven't seen any complaints about the Sandtrooper's foot articulation from 6" collectors. Probably because they actually get angry when there arn't ball hinges and ankle rockers on the figures. Given the amount of articulation on the leg, I don't know why you're having a problem adjusting them so they look natural. With the hinge pivot hips and the swivel thigh and the foot articulation it should be easy to achieve.

My guess on R2-D2.... is they wanted to make him as worth the $20 as possible. Hence the function with the 3rd leg. I didn't have any problem getting it to the proper position and then adjusting the head afterwards. You just have to ratchet it around past the point and then turn it back to where you want it. It just takes a little bit of work. Granted they could have just gave him a removable middle leg or one that just slides in and out, but oh well.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    I opened my sandtrooper this morning, it's very underwhelming. His right leg is completely awkward. While it doesn't have the ball joint problem that JT did, you can't turn the legs out, so he's permanently in that, "I'm riding a miniature horse" pose. Also, whats up with the foot joint? Why do they rotate the way they do? It took me time to get him to stand, and when I finally did, he looks like a child trying to take their first step.
    I had no problems at all getting my Sandtrooper into a natural looking pose:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8848_2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	27897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8849_2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	27898
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I had no problems at all getting my Sandtrooper into a natural looking pose:

Name:	IMG_8848_2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	27897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8849_2.jpg 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	27898
    Thanks for posting a picture that illustrates this so well, Big B. Man... the Sandie is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Thanks for posting a picture that illustrates this so well, Big B. Man... the Sandie is awesome.
    It is and, I don't want to overstate it, but when I hold the figure in my hands I can't help but think that it's nothing less than one of the greatest Star Wars toys ever created in the entire history of Star Wars toys.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

... My troopers right leg looks nothing like that. I guess I got a defect. I cannot rotate the legs in that position and the right one doesn't rotate or move at all. The upper leg armor is too close to the waist and stuck. My right leg also looks significantly shorter. I'll upload a picture tomorrow.
    Sadly, I got it from hasbrotoyshop.com. I'll try to contact them for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    I haven't seen any complaints about the Sandtrooper's foot articulation from 6" collectors. Probably because they actually get angry when there arn't ball hinges and ankle rockers on the figures. Given the amount of articulation on the leg, I don't know why you're having a problem adjusting them so they look natural. With the hinge pivot hips and the swivel thigh and the foot articulation it should be easy to achieve.
    My problem with the foot isn't with the rockers itself, its with the foots connection to the rockers. The foot spins on the rocker at an odd location. If it was at the ankle of the foot it would have been perfect, but instead, its on the tongue of the shoe.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Yeah... it absolutely sounds like you got a defective figure. Sucks.

These are about as "natural" of a pose as I can get. As you can see, the right leg armor is wedged against the groin. It appears that both legs are meant to rotate from a joint that is under the armor, but I can only rotate the left leg, and I felt like I was going to break it the entire time to get it loose. I feel like the joint is an oval, instead of a circle, thus limiting the rotation.

The third picture is the foot joint I was referring to. It rotates at the shoe tongue instead of the ankle which serves absolutely no purpose what so ever; unless the goal is to show what a stormtrooper looks like with a broken ankle.

The fourth picture is without the Sandtrooper gear. Oddly enough, He looks really good as a plain stormtrooper, even with the leg issue. Although he does look as if he accidentally dropped his helmet in a mud pit.

Name:	SAM_0386.jpg 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	27900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0387.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	27901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0390.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	27902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0391.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	27903