Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 194
  1. #181
    So last week Amazon had all wave 1 on sale for $16, I grabbed another Sandtrooper to replace my second defecto, and got Luke. I now have all of wave 1.

    Sandtrooper, 3rd pass, finally a keeper - surprisingly decent paint, no broken parts, helmet mostly matches. Still some bald white here and there. There are a couple issues I noticed that I think have been overlooked so far, the helmet is too wide for the ANH Sandtrooper costume, it's too jowly. Also, the backpack is sitting too high, I haven't seen a single trooper image where they're wearing it at mid-helmet like this, they're always below the shoulders, that'd translate into sitting at least 9" too high; it's also about 10% too big.

    Luke X-wing Pilot - another lucky get, the paint is pretty decent on the white flak vest. Out of package and posed, the hips aren't as obviously oversized. Sculpting and paint are pretty good, the small eyes work well. The painted face isn't too bad, I'm more annoyed at the orange paint over black plastic forearms, it gets away with it but it's hardly perfect at the joints. Better than I expected at this price, but I can see why I would have been more harsh at full price.



    Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    I was looking at Darth Maul in the store and really considering buying him, but I might wait for a different day. The had 2 X-wing Lukes there, but I wasn't terribly impressed by those. Something about the leg and torso proportions that seemed off to me. I also didn't care for the orange hair paint job either.
    It's the hips that are probably throwing you off, Hasbro for some reason went with a T-bar hip system that requires the anchor point inside the crotch to be a little wider than it should be, so the hips are further apart and slightly bigger than they should be. Once it's out of package, it's not as offensive and you can easily pose the figure to look more natural, but it is something they made a dubious choice by doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I take both the price and the fact that these are produced by Hasbro into consideration.

    If you look at our options, we have the $6 Saga Legends line, the $10 "Premium" 3.75" line, and then the $20 6" line. After that there is nothing until you get to the $80 Gentle Giant Jumbo Kenner line and then the $120+ Sideshow 12" line.

    So, the $20 pricetag is factored into my opinion of this line, but only because it's so low in comparison to Gentle Giant and Sideshow.

    Also, this is Hasbro we're talking about. Expecting a high-quality collectors line out of Hasbro is like expecting gourmet food out of McDonalds. You might be fortunate enough 2 or 3 times in your life to get some amazing food out of McDonalds, but most of the time you're just lucky if you don't drive home with food poisoning.

    It's the same with Hasbro. You just have to expect a certain low-quality to even their most "premium" toy offerings. Every once in a while, they'll surprise you and turn out something amazing (TVC Gamorrean Guard); but most of the time you're just going to end up with a children's toy. Even the 6" line says 'ages 4+' on the packaging so those figures still qualify as children's toys.

    Now if I buy something from Sideshow that's designed with the intention of being a high-quality collectors item, I'm much more demanding. For instance, I was initially excited about the 12" Bossk figure, but have seen way too many minor flaws on the figure to justify paying close to $200 for it. If that had been a $100 figure, then it would be in my collection now and I would be able to overlook those flaws.

    Also, after so many years collecting vintage Kenner figures, I'm a bit desensitized to price and $20 per figure still feels cheap to me. I don't really start becoming super nitpicky until the price crosses the $75 mark.
    I'm not sure I can look at these figures and compare them to GG or Sideshow, they still don't cross that line into "true collectible" that you could call a reasonable level of competition on. I suppose that's where you and I part ways in our opinions on this line. And I can back that claim up in that Amazon had the figures for $16 last week, so I went and bought Luke X-wing and another Sandtrooper to replace my second defective one. So where $20 felt too high, $16 did not and now I own a figure I thought I'd never get. All it takes for some holdouts is increasing the value or lowering the cost.

    The fact that you have some "it's all good between $10 and $75" range is a little weird to me, there's a massive variety there, the GG mini bust line has lived its whole life in there.

    Here's my problem with the "Hasbro is McDonalds" argument, it's both true and seems to actively be getting worse, yet Hasbro is pushing these as a gourmet product line that is intended to get away with that, they have gone out of their way to present the line as partnering with one of the best collector companies in the Star Wars licensee pantheon - Gentle Giant - when it's obvious that Hasbro's factory just takes the great sculpts and paint and churns them into something far less than they should be to save money for Hasbro's bottom line.

    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Wow.... This got really heated really fast.

    Personally, I've not been impressed. I don't care if anyone else is or isn't. But I'd like to point out that I also take into account that these "premium" figures are made by Hasbro....

    ...The same Hasbro that routinely makes G.I. Joe figures for half the price that stomp The Black Series in pretty much every way. More joints, better paint application, more accessories. Look at figures like the Cobra Combat Ninja, Kwinn, or the Data-Viper; Hasbro should be able to do a lot more with a figure that costs twice as much, and they simply haven't. (The three examples I used were only from the latest wave; Low-Light and Commando Snake Eyes are two or three years old and still light-years beyond than any Star Wars figure ever produced by Hasbro in any size).

    Hasbro also makes Transformers that tend to be a bit more hit-and-miss in terms of quality, but routinely have a lot more moving parts, even on figures that sell for a quarter of The Black Series' $20 price tag, with joint issues being quite rare.

    Just saying, if you like 'em, go ahead and like 'em. I happen to be underwhelmed.
    Yes, it got heated too easily.

    Hasbro is showing issues on planning, budgeting, and styling with Star Wars, my guess is that the license cost has eaten itself into the brand too heavily, but it could also be about the specific factory in China. That factory is ultimately who produces the final sculpts, they interpret all the quality work Hasbro does into the cut steel molds, and that factory is the bottleneck of choices.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Yeah. My point about a $20 figure is that it is for collectors - to be authentic.

    Don't include the blaster or lightsaber for ANH Luke.

    It's an authentic collector figure, right?

    How about extra hands (gloves on, gloves off? or damaged ROTJ hand?)

    2 helmets: visor up, visor down?

    Don't know. Don't collect these. Don't really care.
    Gloves off would require an entire new forearm, the articulation is midway down the glove so half of the glove is sculpted to the forearm piece and half is a separate hand.

    The figure is still authentic with or without his gun and lightsaber. Yes, Hasbro could have sculpted an expensive, complicated gunbelt (because in ESB the holster is on a separate gunbelt that is attached to the outer weather jacket, not the flight suit itself, so they'd have to cheat) but that'd be a waste of budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Thank you Senor Tricks. :-P
    Thank Hasbro for delivering so many failures my way.

    Honest question. Is the Black Series figure specifically from ANH? Is there a possibility it could be from ESB too? Once again I'm just seriously asking.
    Yes, it's clearly from ANH, the outfit is only used in ANH, the facial sculpt and hair are specific to ANH (Mark Hamill's face was badly injured after filming ANH, so it has some different structure in ESB), even the lightsaber itself is specific to ANH (in ESB, the prop changed a few little elements such as the red button under the emitter as well as on top). Like the Sandtrooper, they really did go for more authenticity with these, and I consider that a good thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    No, the outfits are different. The pilots wear puffier jumpsuits and lighter-colored boots and gloves on Hoth, and since Luke goes from Hoth to Dagobah to Bespin, he only wears the snowspeeder pilot gear in the film. He wears the X-wing gear in ROTJ, but the figure wouldn't work for that due to the pre-car-accident appearance.
    The flight suit in ESB is the same, what's different is the design of a puffy, slightly different shade of orange jacket which sits on top of the regular flight suit. That over-jacket has ribbing down the shoulders not unlike Greedo's jacket, it has a rank badge over the left breast under the flak vest, and a very puffy and tall collar. Luke's boots on Hoth are the same ones seen on Dagobah, a stark departure from the ANH leather boots, and the cylinders-bandolier is on the opposite boot now. Luke's gauntlets are now more workman style than flight style. The flak vest looks similar but is actually altered with the straps attached to the chest on the outside with snaps and has hangers below that. The chest box is the same but the hose now goes into the flight suit on the hip rather than the torso (since the upper body is covered by the over-jacket). Luke wears a headsock, and the helmet no longer has a microphone. And the outfit has a gunbelt over everything with a holster sporting a tie around the leg.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I'm not sure I can look at these figures and compare them to GG or Sideshow, they still don't cross that line into "true collectible" that you could call a reasonable level of competition on. I suppose that's where you and I part ways in our opinions on this line. And I can back that claim up in that Amazon had the figures for $16 last week, so I went and bought Luke X-wing and another Sandtrooper to replace my second defective one. So where $20 felt too high, $16 did not and now I own a figure I thought I'd never get. All it takes for some holdouts is increasing the value or lowering the cost.

    The fact that you have some "it's all good between $10 and $75" range is a little weird to me, there's a massive variety there, the GG mini bust line has lived its whole life in there.

    Here's my problem with the "Hasbro is McDonalds" argument, it's both true and seems to actively be getting worse, yet Hasbro is pushing these as a gourmet product line that is intended to get away with that, they have gone out of their way to present the line as partnering with one of the best collector companies in the Star Wars licensee pantheon - Gentle Giant - when it's obvious that Hasbro's factory just takes the great sculpts and paint and churns them into something far less than they should be to save money for Hasbro's bottom line.
    As much as I like this line, the financial reality of paying $20 each is starting to take a toll on my interest in these toys. It's not that I can't afford to collect the 6" line, but I'm starting to realize that I really don't want to amass yet another Star Wars collection. Especially not so soon after getting rid of my previous collection. I actually returned my second Sandtrooper to the store last week, so I just have the one Sandtrooper in my "collection" right now. I don't plan to buy another 6" figure until the Stormtrooper is released and even then there are some big question marks surrounding that purchase based on the crappy prototype we've seen.

    I've decided to make the jump to collecting comic book themed statues. Right now I'm looking at some of the 12" scale Bowen Designs Marvel statues. I actually bought their Original X-Men Beast statue this afternoon for about $150 and my impressions of that item, when it arrives, will determine whether or not I want to pursue this new hobby.

    I know it seems weird that I'd complain about a $20 price tag and then say that I'm jumping into a hobby that averages around $200 per item; but after spending hundreds of dollars on modern Star Wars toys in the past my only memories of the actual collection were that it was all garbage and I simply wasted all of the money that I spent on it. My only regret in getting rid of my Star Wars collection is that I didn't get rid of it sooner. So now I'm going to try to collect an actual high-end line (not just something that claims to be high-end) and see if that's somehow more fulfilling.

    Also, I feel like I've been stuck in a rut with Star Wars and it's like I've been buying the same stuff over and over again for the last decade. So, I think it's time to take a break.

  3. #183
    Ouch, that's rough. I do hear ya on buying the same stuff over and over though, I looked over and saw a 3.75" Sandtrooper I hadn't remembered buying so recently, I'm so tired of buying Sandtroopers now, and all of them still have annoying flaws because they're Hasbro. It's like a built-in level of pain for Hasbro product now that isn't found on other collectible lines, and nothing Hasbro does seems to make it better, so a $200 statue somehow does make more sense than a $20 figure.



    I have my wave 1 figures set up together on my desk right now, and R2 looks woefully underscaled, the Sandtrooper has that backpack issue and too much bulk on his upper body, Maul can barely stand on his own, so it's really surprising that the Luke figure continues to hold up considering he was my biggest holdout.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    My only regret in getting rid of my Star Wars collection is that I didn't get rid of it sooner. So now I'm going to try to collect an actual high-end line (not just something that claims to be high-end) and see if that's somehow more fulfilling.
    I read in another thread that you kept something like seven figures, which just blows my mind. To my calculation, that would not even leave all of the characters from the skiffs, let alone the sail barge. Given your intense interest in that scene, I've got to ask what you did keep. Luke, Lando, Chewie, Han, Pote Snitkin, Barada, Kithaba, Nikto, and Boba Fett would already be more than seven! And that would mean you didn't keep a single Vader, R2, 3P0, Obi-wan, Emperor, or any cantina alien. So tell me, which figures did you keep?!

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    I read in another thread that you kept something like seven figures, which just blows my mind. To my calculation, that would not even leave all of the characters from the skiffs, let alone the sail barge. Given your intense interest in that scene, I've got to ask what you did keep. Luke, Lando, Chewie, Han, Pote Snitkin, Barada, Kithaba, Nikto, and Boba Fett would already be more than seven! And that would mean you didn't keep a single Vader, R2, 3P0, Obi-wan, Emperor, or any cantina alien. So tell me, which figures did you keep?!
    Well, the figures I kept I did so because of sentimental value and not just because of what scene they appeared in. So, I kept both variations of Kithaba, two Gamorrean Guards, Ephant Mon, the 2003 TIE Fighter Pilot, and the vintage TIE Fighter Pilot. I've added a few back to the collection since then because of the 2013 Saga Legends and Mission Series assortments; but I'm still only at about 15 action figure right now and, when I look at my collection, I keep thinking that I need to get rid of some more stuff before I start adding figures to it again.

    As for the Skiff Battle, I decided that completing scenes from the movies and building dioramas were simply not my collecting goals. It's great for other people, but it's not something that I am interested in spending vast amounts of money on anymore.

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Well, the figures I kept I did so because of sentimental value and not just because of what scene they appeared in. So, I kept both variations of Kithaba, two Gamorrean Guards, Ephant Mon, the 2003 TIE Fighter Pilot, and the vintage TIE Fighter Pilot. I've added a few back to the collection since then because of the 2013 Saga Legends and Mission Series assortments; but I'm still only at about 15 action figure right now and, when I look at my collection, I keep thinking that I need to get rid of some more stuff before I start adding figures to it again.

    As for the Skiff Battle, I decided that completing scenes from the movies and building dioramas were simply not my collecting goals. It's great for other people, but it's not something that I am interested in spending vast amounts of money on anymore.
    I think of weeding out my collection even further than I have, but I'd never be able to do that kind of purge. What you did absolutely astounds me! Thanks for sharing!

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    I think of weeding out my collection even further than I have, but I'd never be able to do that kind of purge. What you did absolutely astounds me! Thanks for sharing!
    It's a mindset. Once you do make the decision you have to jump on it right away or you'll never do it. I sold all my carded 3.5 inch figures in 2005 on ebay over a 1 month period. About a month ago I sold off all my 12" Hasbro figures on Craigslist. I find that if you don't do it all at once, you'll just end up repurchasing items again. The only figures I purchase now are ones that I open for display, which is about 3-5 a year.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    I think of weeding out my collection even further than I have, but I'd never be able to do that kind of purge. What you did absolutely astounds me! Thanks for sharing!
    Once you get the momentum going it's hard to stop. As I'm selling stuff, there comes a point where money is rolling in and stuff is vanishing from my house. So as more and more space is freed up and my Paypal balance continues to increase, it's very difficult to just stop selling stuff. Usually, when I start looking to re-buy stuff that I've just sold, then I know it's time to take a break from selling my collection.

    I've gone through a few of these purges over the years, but during this most recent one I just didn't stop until my entire collection could fit inside of a shoe box. I'm probably still not done selling stuff even now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    It's a mindset. Once you do make the decision you have to jump on it right away or you'll never do it. I sold all my carded 3.5 inch figures in 2005 on ebay over a 1 month period. About a month ago I sold off all my 12" Hasbro figures on Craigslist. I find that if you don't do it all at once, you'll just end up repurchasing items again. The only figures I purchase now are ones that I open for display, which is about 3-5 a year.
    Yeah, selling in lots is a great way to just rip the band-aid off quickly and get rid of big chunks of your collection all at once. I usually end up losing money on lots, but that's not the point of selling these toys. As nice as any collection is, at some point it's just going to be in the way; so it's best to just be rid of it, even if you're losing 75%-90% of what you paid for it.

  9. #189
    Hi guys. Hope everyone is doing well.

    I have also been thinking about unloading some of my toys. Not just SW, but other things as well.

    I think Craigslist might be a better option for me, as I do not have a paypal account and I haven't used in ebay in ages. Plus I don't like
    having to ship things (I know that sounds silly but it's a quirk of mine). Do a lot of people meet in public or whatever to complete Craigslist transactions? Any advice or info would be great. Thanks.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsAndHeels View Post
    Hi guys. Hope everyone is doing well.

    I have also been thinking about unloading some of my toys. Not just SW, but other things as well.

    I think Craigslist might be a better option for me, as I do not have a paypal account and I haven't used in ebay in ages. Plus I don't like
    having to ship things (I know that sounds silly but it's a quirk of mine). Do a lot of people meet in public or whatever to complete Craigslist transactions? Any advice or info would be great. Thanks.
    Craigslist is probably the best option if you want to get rid of massive chunks of your collection all at once and still make back at least a percentage of what you've spent on it. But, since Craigslist is not as heavily regulated as a site like eBay, there is an element of risk involved. The most obvious one would be having total strangers showing up at your house to look at your stuff; but there are simple precautions you can take to protect yourself in that situation.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO