Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Lightbulb The Black Series: 6" Figures SDCC Exclusive Boba w/ Carbonite

From Jedi Defender:
    Rumor: A 6" Exclusive for SDCC 2013?

Well, it sure didn't take long for new rumors to pop up. Our sources are telling us that The Black Series 6" line may make its debut before August at a cerain large scale west coast convention. Always in motion, the future is (and this year moreso than others) but hopefully we'll get more info at the large scale east coast event nine days from now.
    It's only a rumor at the moment but I'm sure it'll happen. Whenever Hasbro launches a major new line or sub-line they love rolling it out with an exclusive figure at San Diego Comic Con. I do worry given the lack of Darth Vader in the first wave if they might roll him out as an SDCC Exclusive. Hopefully whoever they choose they keep a few things in mind. People are going to go crazy pants for this line. And they better produce enough so there will be plenty to be sold on Hasbro Toy Shop after the Con.

If they do release someone major like Darth Vader... hopefully it's mostly just the packaging that is unique. So that people who can't get to SDCC or can't buy one for a sane price from HTS or the Secondary Market will still eventually get the character. Or they could do something like R2-KT for the SDCC Exclusive. Something that's more niche and won't tick the new eager collectors off if they can't get it.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

When Marvel Legends returned they offered Thor in his modern armor at SDCC. The 6" Thor featured a "Lightning" effect on his Hammer/Armor. When the figure was re-released with the first wave of New Marvel Legends they made him without the "Lightning" effect painted on. So the idea of a "Final Duel" Darth Vader w/ Emperor's Sith Lightning effect painted on his armor seems a lot more feasible. Plus would explain the lack of Vader in Wave 1. Especially if he's going to be released at SDCC and then again with Wave 2.

SDCC Thor - http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/07/19/...s-thor-review/
    MLW1 Thor - http://www.actionfigurefury.com/revi...figure-review/

Yeah, I would hope that it's just a packaging change or an extra accessory or something like that. Maybe an alternate shoulder pauldron for the Sandtrooper (even though I hope that the production figure comes with all three).

It is a smart move to start this line off with an SDCC exclusive, because it has the potential to draw in thousands more fans who might not ever visit a Star Wars collecting site and thus have no idea that this line is coming out at all.

The fact that the announcement for this line showed up in USA Today first shows that Hasbro is trying to spread the word as widely as possible.

So maybe some people who gave up on Star Wars collecting years ago, will now have a reason to come back. Or maybe someone who wouldn't have considered Star Wars collecting beforehand, and attends SDCC for a completely different reason, will be drawn in and a new SW collector will be born.

For once, Hasbro's marketing department doesn't seem like it's totally clueless.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

According to Rebelscum the SDCC Exclusive is going to be Boba Fett. I'm betting we'll get the RotJ Deco at SDCC as a tie-in to the 30th anniversary of RotJ. And then the regular retail figure will be ESB deco'd Boba Fett.
    The 411: Hasbro's SDCC 2013 Exclusives

According to our spies, a 6-inch scale Black Series Boba Fett will be part of Hasbro's 2013 San Diego Comic-Con exclusive offerings. Now, before you get upset at the thought of a main character being offered as a convention exclusive, consider that Hasbro's recent track record has been to make their exclusives available at retail post-convention. What's more, Boba Fett comes in a variety of decos so it's also plausible that the exclusive could be a paint variant such as the animated debut or McQuarrie concept Fett.

No Bothans were harmed in the delivery of this message.

Wow, kicking off a brand new line with something 99% of people who may want it won't be able to get. Comic-con exclusives have been abysmal to find the last few years. Making your already dwindling base of loyal collectors who are already upset at the way things have been handled (for exclusives and the line as a whole) over the last 2 years even more upset when they (most likely) can't find a major character in a brand new line is just idiotic. If I don't have the option of getting them all then I don't want any.

Quote Originally Posted by mtriv73 View Post
    Wow, kicking off a brand new line with something 99% of people who may want it won't be able to get. Comic-con exclusives have been abysmal to find the last few years. Making your already dwindling base of loyal collectors who are already upset at the way things have been handled (for exclusives and the line as a whole) over the last 2 years even more upset when they (most likely) can't find a major character in a brand new line is just idiotic. If I don't have the option of getting them all then I don't want any.
    I'm willing to bet Boba will be in wave 2. There's no way Hasbro is only going to release a character like Boba Fett as a convention exclusive. Plus, they also know that Boba Fett fans are more than likely to buy multiple versions of the character, so I think it's really the safest best if they want to make a convention exclusive.

If it had been a 6" Dr. Evazan as the SDCC exclusive, then I would say that it's possible Hasbro wouldn't release the figure at retail. But Boba Fett will be released again.. and again... and again... you can almost set your watch by it.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

SDCC Exclusives. Especially Star Wars ones have been fairly easy to get on Hasbro Toy Shop.

I expect that Hasbro knows enough to produce a crapload of these things for sale at and after the show.

Last year's giant set with Jar Jar in carbonite wasn't exactly easy to come by - it would pop up online at random moments and be sold out shortly thereafter. I got mine the minute they went up, but a lot of people weren't so lucky, and Hasbro's smaller, non-SW exclusives went crazy fast last year. In years past, though, it was much easier and they stayed in stock for a while.

If it's Boba, I bet they'll just change the packaging to include an SDCC sticker, or add an accessory, or something. The difference between his ESB and ROTJ armor is too great for a simple repaint, especially at this scale and level of detail, so I doubt it would be that. RS mentions the animated debut, but the all-white look from the test video could be done just as easily, and not as many people would want that as would want a movie-accurate version.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Last year's giant set with Jar Jar in carbonite wasn't exactly easy to come by - it would pop up online at random moments and be sold out shortly thereafter. I got mine the minute they went up, but a lot of people weren't so lucky, and Hasbro's smaller, non-SW exclusives went crazy fast last year. In years past, though, it was much easier and they stayed in stock for a while.

If it's Boba, I bet they'll just change the packaging to include an SDCC sticker, or add an accessory, or something. The difference between his ESB and ROTJ armor is too great for a simple repaint, especially at this scale and level of detail, so I doubt it would be that. RS mentions the animated debut, but the all-white look from the test video could be done just as easily, and not as many people would want that as would want a movie-accurate version.
    Maybe they'll do a rocket-firing version for SDCC and put a regular version in wave 2. Sure, a spring-loaded rocket is kind of silly for a collectors line, but the Rocket-Firing Boba Fett is a pretty major "grail" item for many Star Wars fans.

SDCC exclusives easy to get even if you don't attend?

Are you being facetious? Even for attendees, they're often tough to get.
    Tommy, close your eyes.