Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First Trailer On Good Morning America on 4/7/2016

Several commercials have been airing tonight on ABC advertising that the first trailer for Rogue One will debut tomorrow morning on Good Morning America.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Just saw the teaser trailer, which seemed more like a full trailer than a mere teaser, and I must say that it looked good - not sure if it felt like Star Wars, but it looks like a story worth seeing. I particularly liked the piano arrangement of the Star Wars theme. There is much fertile terrain here for Hasbro to cultivate.

It's amazing that we got a full 2 minute teaser considering that Rogue One has been shrouded in greater secrecy than Episode 8. All the spoilers I've read seem mostly true.

McQuarrie AT-AT's from Rebels!!!!

The countdown to December 16 as well as Force Friday 2016 begins...

I think it looks really promising! It'll be nice to finally see a movie, set in the OT timeframe, that treats the Imperial troopers as a credible threat, not a bunch of morons who can't hit the broad side of a barn. At least I'm hoping that's what we see.

Already there are complaints about yet another female lead character, but I'm completely fine with it as long as it's a good story. For me, a strong female character is sometimes more interesting than yet another heroic-male archetype. I used to only relate to male characters that physically resembled me, but then I turned 10-years-old and was able to open my mind enough to relate to just about any well-written character regardless of their gender, race, or ethnicity.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

Here's the link to the trailer.

Wow, this looks pretty awesome!

It's interesting to see OT iconography in the modern style of TFA. From the OT, we see the Yavin temple, X-wings and pilots, a Gonk droid, Imperial guards, stormtroopers, AT-ATs, and the planetary technical readout from Tarkin's screens. I also noticed the same RP-GO droid from TFA (called R5-X2 on the figure package, and based on R5-X3 from TPM) chillin' at the Yavin base.

Also very cool to see Mon Mothma. It's difficult to tell if it's Genevieve O'Reilly, who played her for her (mostly deleted) appearance in ROTS. (EDIT: EW and Pablo say it's her. Neat!) But it's nice to see elements from ESB and ROTJ work their way into the pre-ANH story, and Mon Mothma is already playing a bigger part in the comics and novels, so this is cool. I love me some Bail Organa so I hope Jimmy Smits returns at some point, especially since this is directly before ANH, though I bet Bail is on Alderaan or Coruscant during this time.

AND BEN MENDELSOHN'S WHITE CAPE!! Star Wars is always better with capes, and this one's a doozy.

It's also great to see a tropical beach planet, especially after they didn't introduce any new planet types to TFA.

I have a feeling that "What will you become?" moment is just Jyn disguising herself as an Imperial, but she could defect. I got a definite Ezra vibe from her whole story.

It looks like the droid following Jyn and Diego Luna's character has the "OII" on his back that the stormtroopers have, so he's probably Imperial.

As for the Rebels connections, I'm guessing we'll see those shadow troopers on the show this season. I doubt we'll see Hera flying alongside the pilots, but I bet some RO characters will show up in the series. If Donnie Yen's character is blind, maybe he'll show up to help teach Kanan?

The trailer also includes more piano theme music, which is standard practice for trailers these days. I love the mix of the Imperial March and Force Theme at the end!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada
    Already there are complaints about yet another female lead character, but I'm completely fine with it as long as it's a good story.
    Hiring an actress who looks like Daisy Ridley to play the lead in another Star Wars film that doesn't continue the story of TFA might be confusing to general audiences. I wonder if that's why they had her say her name (Jyn Erso?). Diego Luna also looked a little like Oscar Isaac at first.
    Got a question for Hasbro? Ask it here!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi

Another thing that gives me very high hopes for this film is the Stormtrooper helmets appear to be based on the ANH/ESB design and not the ROTJ design. It's that kind of attention to detail that I want to see and makes me think that the people working on this film are actually Star Wars fans.

One of my biggest pet peeves about the Special Edition changes was Lucas sticking a bunch of ROTJ Stormtroopers into ANH and expecting the audience not to notice or care.

At first the AT-ATs looked a little strange, but after examining the screenshots, they are clearly a different model.

Oh yeah and not a single lightsaber or lightsaber sound effect in the entire trailer. Could this be the first Star Wars film that never features a lightsaber? I kind of doubt it, but that would be beyond awesome.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Oh yeah and not a single lightsaber or lightsaber sound effect in the entire trailer. Could this be the first Star Wars film that never features a lightsaber? I kind of doubt it, but that would be beyond awesome.
    I think there's some guy looking for the lost plans who has been known to use a red lightsaber...
    Got a question for Hasbro? Ask it here!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I think there's some guy looking for the lost plans who has been known to use a red lightsaber...
    Oh, God, don't tell me Maul is in this, too.

That's my jacket!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    True, but my idea on that is Vader isn't just going to whip out his lightsaber for every confrontation. If he's going up against non-Jedi, non-Force-sensitive troopers, well that's what his Stormtroopers are for. He's not going to dirty his hands fighting a bunch of unremarkable grunts unless he absolutely has to. Even then, he's going to use Force-chokes and Force-pushes before ever igniting his saber. Look at the OT, Vader never even unhooks his saber from his belt unless he's facing Obi-Wan or Luke.

So, if they manage to feature Darth Vader in this film without ever showing him using his lightsaber, then I will be extremely impressed with their storytelling restraint. However, this is a Star Wars movie and a Star Wars movie is nothing without merchandising and, since there are lightsaber roleplay toys to be sold, the chances of that are highly unlikely.

Also, I'm already seeing the speculation that the female lead character might be Rey's mom.

Hoban, is that you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-04-07-13-31-16-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	29032
    That's my jacket!