Diet sodas increase your risk of diabetes by 33%

According to a recent French study, consuming just 12-ounces of diet soda per week increases your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes by 33%.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...192600358.html

You can read the whole article if you want, but I'll paste the first paragraph here:
    Yet another study confirms what people have been saying for ages: Stop drinking diet soda. Like, right now. Drinking just one 12-ounce can of an artificially sweetened fizzy drink per week can increase your risk of Type 2 diabetes by 33 percent, French researchers found, and given that most people don't stop at a single weekly serving, your real risk for diabetes could actually be much higher.
    I swore off diet sodas over 10 years ago because I started reading some pretty disturbing stats about aspartame-poisoning and I learned that Splenda was developed accidentally while researchers were trying to develop a new form of anti-freeze for cars. So, I decided that I would only drink regular sodas from that point on. This way if I do give myself Type 2 diabetes, it'll be from good old fashioned sugar (or high-fructose corn syrup, whatever).

Seriously, though, I've been making an effort to eliminate even high-fructose corn syrup from my diet. It's amazing how many products have it as an ingredient these days. And we wonder why our country's obesity rates are so high.

I stopped drinking soda all together. I'd say the first three months are difficult then its all down hill from there.

I don't think its surprising about the diet sodas. I watch my co-workers drink them but eat more in calories because they think they are "saving" some. I didn't read the entire article so I'm not sure what the real reason behind this is
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJediGirl View Post
    I stopped drinking soda all together. I'd say the first three months are difficult then its all down hill from there.

I don't think its surprising about the diet sodas. I watch my co-workers drink them but eat more in calories because they think they are "saving" some. I didn't read the entire article so I'm not sure what the real reason behind this is
    Occasionally, I might pick up one of those Pepsi or Mountain Dew Throwback sodas, but that's it. Soda is now like a rare desert item that I will treat myself to every once in a while, but I want it to stay an expensive purchase, so I usually only buy 20oz plastic bottles.

What the article basically said was that our bodies process aspartame just like sugar, so you might as well be drinking sugar. However, people tend to drink diet sodas in greater volumes than regular sodas because they just assume it's not costing them anything.

According to what I've read, some of the more radical claims of aspartame poisoning are false, but it can be deadly for diabetics. Because the body converts the aspartame into wood alcohol and that makes it nearly impossible for diabetics to regulate their blood sugar levels (I'm kind of paraphrasing here, I'm not a medical professional at all).

I remember when aspartame first started to be heavily marketed as Nutra-Sweet in the 80s. Our family tried it once, but my mom (who is epileptic) got really sick off of it and had several really severe seizures over the course of the next few days. Of course we never bought anything with Nutra-Sweet after that and it kind of clued me in that artificial-sugar isn't necessarily better than real sugar.

I think the difference is that processing aspertame like sugar means you're processing a tiny fraction of the artificial sweetener as you would sugar, because 15 grams of sugar is 15 grams of sugar, while 15 grams of aspertame is nearly all empty filler from how much sweeter than sugar it is, so you're only processing half a gram of aspertame and 14.5 grams of filler. But then again, aspertame turns into formaldehyde in your brain, perhaps that's what affected your mother so strongly.

I like soda for flavor but also to fill me up, right now I'm mostly drinking unsweetened carbonated waters like Trader Joe's lime and berry waters, and La Croix canned coconut and cran-rasberry waters, but I also hit up diet A&W root beer from time to time. The amount of calories in a single can of regular soda is generally not within reason for what I'm looking for, and it's all crap calories too.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.