Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    To be honest, one of the things that annoyed me the most about the judging on Face Off was the way they randomly penalized people for growing an idea big and bold. Ve Neil would be fairly consistent and then just tear something down from Roy that looked great. And Glenn Hetrick is just frustrating to watch as a judge, he's as two-faced as it gets.
    A part of me wants to say that it's a bit of jealousy or the judges feel intimidated by the level of talent that some of these guys are showing, but I'm kind of hesitant to really claim that.

When I was in college getting my graphic design degree, I experienced the situation where you know you are more talented than your professor and they kind of resent you for it. Even though you are putting out better work than anyone in the class, they tend to be more critical and discouraging than anything else. However, I would like to think that an accomplished, award-winning motion picture artist would be a little bit more professional than some old lady stuck teaching at a community college. Then again, it is human nature.

But it's also possible that the judges are just a victim of editing. My boss has starred on 3 reality shows as of now and has a fourth in development and he explained it like this: You can spend 55 minutes singing another person's praises and talking about how good and talented they are, then 5 minutes giving constructive criticism and outlining how they can improve and the editors will home in on the 5 minutes of criticism because it's seen as more dramatic. The editors decide what story they want to tell first, then they pick and choose, from the hundreds of hours worth of footage, in order to create that story. Documenting what "really happened" is not really that important.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Bil Dwyer was awesome, he'd be too good to do commentary for this mess. I miss watching Battlebots, THAT was robot fighting! Stomping! Sawblades! Kinetic energy that threw parts over the arena walls!

As for the judges, I get the feeling they are trying to use subjectiveness to judge objectively and it clashes there. Your point about editing could be it too, but the outcomes definitely still feel arbitrary in some ways.

Today is a FaceOff marathon, I'm grabbing 'em all except today's episode since that one is counter-programmed.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post

Today is a FaceOff marathon, I'm grabbing 'em all except today's episode since that one is counter-programmed.
    Cool. I went ahead and started a Face Off thread, so that we can talk about it there if you want. This way all those Robot Combat League fans can have this thread to themselves.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I saw the episode where Ms. Lucas competed... and was knocked out in the 1st round. Robot was in a pool of hydraulic fluid. Mr. Lucas seemed obsessed with a robot punch-to-the-crotch (his word) shots, though. Looked cool (the fighting robots, not crotch shots ), but I doubt I'll become a regular viewer.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Having Lucas' daughter competing was the ONLY reason I even bothered to give this show a chance. Now that she's out of the competition, then I really see no reason keep watching.

The "robot punch to the crotch" thing was pretty funny, though. Who knew George was such a dirty fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I saw the episode where Ms. Lucas competed... and was knocked out in the 1st round. Robot was in a pool of hydraulic fluid. Mr. Lucas seemed obsessed with a robot punch-to-the-crotch (his word) shots, though. Looked cool (the fighting robots, not crotch shots ), but I doubt I'll become a regular viewer.
    Seriously? Her robot fighting career started the same way her MMA one did, she got knocked out bad?

Why would a punch to the crotch concern a robot fighter? So silly.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.