Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Essential Characters Poll - What if we started all over again?

Here is the premise. Assume a new line of Star Wars figures is being made. This could be now, or possibly in the distant future after the current line has died out, or perhaps you have travelled back in time to 1995 and could decide which figures should be made. In either case, which figures should be made? Imagine that they would be ultimate versions that would never need to be remade. This line will only include versions of characters seen in the six movies (either original or special edition versions), so no Clone Wars, Ewoks, Droids, Holiday Special, comics, books, video games or other expanded universe source (unless it also happens to be in the movies). The problem is that there will only be 144 figures, which means that there will be on average only 24 figures per movie.

I will not be asking for lists of 144 figures. Also, since some movies may have more characters worthy of being made into figures, I will not be asking for exactly 24 figures from each movie. Instead I will ask for 12 figures from each movie. Once we have completed that voting, I will then ask for 12 figures from the OT and 12 figures from the PT. At that point, we will have 96 of the 144 figures determined. I will then have 4 more rounds in which I will ask for 12 figures from any movie. We should imagine that the figures will be released in the order that we determine them here.

Also, since some figures appear in pretty much the same form in multiple movies, I will be doing the first round of voting one movie at a time, alternating between OT and PT. Since these are ultimate versions of the figures, you wouldn't need to vote for minor variations or movie-specific accessories or features. For example. If R2-D2 makes the list in the ANH poll, you won't need to vote for R2-D2 with sensor-scope from ESB, R2-D2 with launching lightsaber from ROTJ, or R2-D2 with rocket jets from the prequels. Whenever a figure makes the list we can decide on whether other versions of it are covered by that or not.

So, we will begin with Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. Please list your choices for the first 12 figures to appear. There is no need to rank them, as I will simply go by the number of votes each one receives.

Interesting idea...

ANH is probably the easiest because it's the tightest film in the series.

Luke Farmboy
    Obi-Wan
    Vader
    Han
    Leia
    Stormtrooper
    R2
    3PO
    Luke X-wing
    Tusken Raider
    Greedo
    Chewie

(just missed my list: Tarkin, Jawa)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Great idea for a thread MSP, hope it gets lots of support.

As JT says, the main characters from ANH are pretty much locked in, so I was going to post virtually the same list (with Jawa instead of Luke X-Wing), but then I thought that out of 144 figures, I'd want a few Cantina denizens, and this would be my only chance to vote for them. In the unlikely event Vader, Stormtrooper and the droids don't make it through this round, I can always include them in my ESB list.

Luke (farmboy)
    Han
    Leia
    Chewie
    Obi-Wan
    Greedo
    Ponda Baba
    Momaw Nadon
    Zutton
    Bom Vimdin
    Tusken Raider
    Jawa
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

R2
    C3P0
    Luke Farmboy
    Leia
    Vader
    Tarkin
    Stormtrooper
    Han
    Chewie
    Obi wan
    Luke X-wing
    Sandtrooper

Darth Vader
    Farmboy Luke
    Princess Leia
    C-3PO
    R2-D2
    Han Solo
    Chewbacca
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Stormtrooper
    Jawa
    Tusken Raider
    Grand Moff Tarkin
    Tommy, close your eyes.

It's tempting to go with the original 12 from the vintage line . . . I'll start with that as inspiration but make a few changes.

*Luke Skywalker (Tatooine)
    *Han Solo
    *Princess Leia Organa
    *Chewbacca
    *Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi
    *C-3PO
    *R2-D2
    *Tusken Raider
    *Jawa
    *Stormtrooper
    *Greedo
    *Luke Skywalker (X-wing Pilot)

No Vader for now, as you'll notice . . . since everything is so limited, I guess I would prefer an ESB/ROTJ version instead. I also cut the Death Squad Commander, since Greedo and X-wing Luke feel more iconic to me. Tarkin almost made the list, but as we've been living without a perfect Tarkin so far, I guess I can live without him in future lines, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sebillba View Post
    As JT says, the main characters from ANH are pretty much locked in, so I was going to post virtually the same list (with Jawa instead of Luke X-Wing), but then I thought that out of 144 figures, I'd want a few Cantina denizens, and this would be my only chance to vote for them. In the unlikely event Vader, Stormtrooper and the droids don't make it through this round, I can always include them in my ESB list.
    I don't understand the point of trying to game these polls though, if you thought those first 12 were the right ones, why change that to throw lesser characters in simply because our answers are similar? It seems to me like that only dilutes your vote.

In any case, it's not your only chance to vote for them, MSP said there would be 4 wildcard rounds of 12 votes each after the movie-specific votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    No Vader for now, as you'll notice . . . since everything is so limited, I guess I would prefer an ESB/ROTJ version instead. I also cut the Death Squad Commander, since Greedo and X-wing Luke feel more iconic to me. Tarkin almost made the list, but as we've been living without a perfect Tarkin so far, I guess I can live without him in future lines, too.
    I thought about Death Squad Commander as well, but he got cut for simply not doing anything in the film, I couldn't justify him enough.

Vader is a tough choice, and I do see your point. Vader's costumes are all very similar, yet they are also different from each other - there's no way to do a "definitive OT Vader" because of that, it'd be like trying to make a "definitive OT Luke". So for ANH, I'd rather have a definitive ANH Vader than a Jawa, hence my votes went that way. It's a challenging thought though, because if I was forced to have just 1 Vader design from the OT, it'd not be ANH.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I had a hard time cutting Greedo and Evazan.

Kinda funny that my "Top 14" includes two characters Kenner and Hasbro didn't make at all for almost 20 years, and have as lowest priority on their resculpt list, just finally getting to updating them this year.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

My votes for ANH will be the same as El Chuxter's.

Farmboy Luke
    Princess Leia
    Han Solo
    Chewbacca
    Darth Vader
    Ben Kenobi
    R2-D2
    C-3PO
    Jawa
    Tusken Raider
    Stormtrooper
    Tarkin

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I don't understand the point of trying to game these polls though, if you thought those first 12 were the right ones, why change that to throw lesser characters in simply because our answers are similar? It seems to me like that only dilutes your vote.
    That is kind of my thought as well. My approach to the voting is that since this is a poll about essential characters, I will vote first for the figures I would consider most essential to have. I've always thought that the original 12 vintage figures were good choices, except that they should have made Tarkin instead of the Death Squad Commander. Rebel Fleet Trooper would have been nice to have back in those days, too. A friend of mine actually repainted a Death Squad Commander to look like a Rebel Fleet Trooper, and painted a Stormtrooper black to look like a TIE Pilot. I did not have that sort of artistic ability. I tried painting the Stormtrooper, but it wasn't turning out well and I started to remove the paint. It is still partially painted 33 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Vader is a tough choice, and I do see your point. Vader's costumes are all very similar, yet they are also different from each other - there's no way to do a "definitive OT Vader" because of that, it'd be like trying to make a "definitive OT Luke". So for ANH, I'd rather have a definitive ANH Vader than a Jawa, hence my votes went that way. It's a challenging thought though, because if I was forced to have just 1 Vader design from the OT, it'd not be ANH.
    At least all of the versions of Vader pretty much look the same to the average person. There is quite a bit more difference between all of the different versions of Luke from all the films. I would be happy with one version of Vader, even if it does not match the movie on the card. In fact, this theoretical line may just say "Star Wars" and not indicate a specific movie on the card.

Ok, my bad, I mis-read the rules (I was still waking up when I read the thread, I should've re-read them before I posted, sorry) - I wasn't trying to "game the poll", but I thought we were only getting 12 votes each per movie, so I tried to narrow down my choices to the most interesting (to me) 36 characters from the OT, then split them across the three films. Anyway, please scrap my original votes, I'll start again:

Luke (farmboy)
    Han
    Leia
    Chewie
    Obi-Wan
    C-3PO
    R2-D2
    Vader
    Stormtrooper
    Greedo
    Tusken Raider
    Jawa
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.