Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Anybody gonna be buying some Saga Legends 2013 simple figures?

Is anybody going to be buying those simple 5-POA figures coming out this year? Both the Saga Legends $6 ones and potentially the $10 Mission Series ones, I mean.

I'm considering buying the Super Battle Droid, we haven't had an SBD that looked good ever. The one we have is ok if you don't mind the crap articulation and the worthless bendy legs in a very wide pose - I mind those things. At least with the SL kiddie line, there's no bendy legs or stupid wide-legged pose to ruin the figure, and the sculpting looks sharp, and the gun forearm is pre-rotated to the shooting pose.

I'm also considering getting the Jango Fett from the Mission Series 2-pack, that's a sharp-looking Jango and in the movies he does have that pose of just standing there looking composed and like he could strike at any second. I'm a little hesitant as the Battle Droid is the same junk figure we've suffered for too long now (the pull-apart one from the deluxe 3PO set), and Jango only comes with 1 blaster pistol.

Other than that, nothing's really likely to come home with me. The clone figure looks good but a tad wide for my tastes and I already have a billion of 'em. Vader looks alright in the showroom photos Steve took but the sculpt seems skinny, at the very least it's a definite 'wait until it's in the single-carded line' department.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I also think that Jango looks pretty cool. Probably the best looking Jango figure Hasbro has made yet.

I'm interested in a few of the Clonetroopers, which I never thought I'd say, but I actually think their chunkiness is kind of appealing. Kind of like what Clonetrooper figures would have looked like if they were made in the 80s.

The Darth Vader also looks really good although I'm not a fan of that cape material.

I plan to pick up a few from these initial assortments, maybe a couple of clones and that Jango figure. But I'm really hoping to see some OT characters remade in this style. Especially a Stormtrooper, a TIE Fighter Pilot, Bossk, maybe Chewbacca. As long as they are sculpted well, then I don't really mind the lack of articulation.

Ah, the nostalgia angle on the Clones, you are right on the money there, I couldn't agree more. I just don't think I can spend money on nostalgia alone anymore. On the other hand, if Hasbro were to put these figures out on vintage-style cards as an exclusive, I might have to eat those words.

OT would be fun to see executed in this style, I can't wait to see what they have up those sleeves.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I plan on getting most of them - I'll have to see which ones are repeated in the Mission Series line since I don't need multiples of these. Apart from the awful crotches, they look like they could have some simple charm. Well, that and the fact that I'm one of the last completists in the galaxy. Where I can, I'll probably use some of the figures as pilots to fill seats in vehicles, maybe freeing up some previous better figures for other dioramas. As I've mentioned before, the Seeker Droid is the only never-before-made 3.75" release revealed so far for this year, so that's something in and of itself. And even it is getting a different version in the Star Tours packs, though I can't tell which parts (if any) are reused from version to version. I hope the paint is good though - Mattel's budget Batman figures looked awful in this regard (especially Bane), though the Iron Man and Spider-Man cheapos that are hitting now don't look half bad. Good head sculpts could make up for a lot in this line.

I don't intend to collect these, but I can see they'd integrate well with vintage figures. As fas as I'm concerned, my vintage collection is complete, and besides, I don't have any space left in my vintage cabinet. I am however, looking forward to getting the new Yoda - I collect Yoda figures anyway, and this one looks particularly nice, with possibly the best PT likeness/proportion we've seen. The sculpt does look a little soft, but I'm hoping that's because the prototype has thick paint splopped on it, and the finished item will reveal a sharper, more detailed sculpt.

I'm also interested in the Seeker Droid - as Mr JJL sais, it's the only brand new "character" shown so far for the new line. I'm hoping to get this from BigB, if he gets the Vader set, but if not, I think I could probably live without it.... whilst I do try to collect every movie character they make, I could rationalise that this one is so far out of scale, I don't really need it.
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I plan on getting most of them - I'll have to see which ones are repeated in the Mission Series line since I don't need multiples of these. Apart from the awful crotches, they look like they could have some simple charm. Well, that and the fact that I'm one of the last completists in the galaxy. Where I can, I'll probably use some of the figures as pilots to fill seats in vehicles, maybe freeing up some previous better figures for other dioramas. As I've mentioned before, the Seeker Droid is the only never-before-made 3.75" release revealed so far for this year, so that's something in and of itself. And even it is getting a different version in the Star Tours packs, though I can't tell which parts (if any) are reused from version to version. I hope the paint is good though - Mattel's budget Batman figures looked awful in this regard (especially Bane), though the Iron Man and Spider-Man cheapos that are hitting now don't look half bad. Good head sculpts could make up for a lot in this line.
    The Star Tours version of the Prowler 1000 Seeker Droid is the same body but with extra bits attached to it, and different limbs. I don't even remember the Mission Series one from ROTS but apparently it's in the film.

Which figures' crotch articulation design bothers you? I am not loving the kama-wearing figures with Kenner-style breaks in the kama, but on the Clone and Jango it doesn't look too bad IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sebillba View Post
    I don't intend to collect these, but I can see they'd integrate well with vintage figures. As fas as I'm concerned, my vintage collection is complete, and besides, I don't have any space left in my vintage cabinet. I am however, looking forward to getting the new Yoda - I collect Yoda figures anyway, and this one looks particularly nice, with possibly the best PT likeness/proportion we've seen. The sculpt does look a little soft, but I'm hoping that's because the prototype has thick paint splopped on it, and the finished item will reveal a sharper, more detailed sculpt.

I'm also interested in the Seeker Droid - as Mr JJL sais, it's the only brand new "character" shown so far for the new line. I'm hoping to get this from BigB, if he gets the Vader set, but if not, I think I could probably live without it.... whilst I do try to collect every movie character they make, I could rationalise that this one is so far out of scale, I don't really need it.
    The paint is going to make or break that Yoda figure. I'm not on board just due to the long legs and it being a Prequel version, but the upper body has a very good Ep 2/Ep 3 look to it.

I'd rather save the money and get the few fully-articulated figures. Even if you're going into this with good intentions of mixing them in with previous figures because the sculpts are nice, take it from me: the Joe drivers (basically the same thing--gorgeous sculpts with five points of articulation) are hell to work into your collection and have to take background spots to fill in crowds.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    The Star Tours version of the Prowler 1000 Seeker Droid is the same body but with extra bits attached to it, and different limbs. I don't even remember the Mission Series one from ROTS but apparently it's in the film.

Which figures' crotch articulation design bothers you? I am not loving the kama-wearing figures with Kenner-style breaks in the kama, but on the Clone and Jango it doesn't look too bad IMO.
    The Seeker Droid is off in the background when Obi-Wan swims up on Utapau after Order 66. There's a similar model during the birth of Vader scene, though I think it's smaller.

Yeah, I was referring to the Jedi figures. On the figures without the lower robes the articulation looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I'd rather save the money and get the few fully-articulated figures. Even if you're going into this with good intentions of mixing them in with previous figures because the sculpts are nice, take it from me: the Joe drivers (basically the same thing--gorgeous sculpts with five points of articulation) are hell to work into your collection and have to take background spots to fill in crowds.
    I know, but Jango really looks good enough to get past that, and every Super Battle Droid looks worse than the previous until this.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    IEven if you're going into this with good intentions of mixing them in with previous figures because the sculpts are nice, take it from me: the Joe drivers (basically the same thing--gorgeous sculpts with five points of articulation) are hell to work into your collection and have to take background spots to fill in crowds.
    Well, if I buy these figures, then they would be the ONLY Prequel figures in my collection. Currently, my count is at 0 for Prequel and Clone Wars related figures. So it's not like I would be displaying an SA Clonetrooper next to a 5-POA Clonetrooper. If I buy any of these Saga Legends Clonetroopers, then they will be the only Clonetroopers I own.

As for OT characters, I actually don't want that many ROTJ related figures, because with this current style, I don't really see how Hasbro can improve upon the actual vintage ROTJ figures. Especially since Hasbro is not nearly as competent and/or consistent with high-quality soft-goods as Kenner was.

So, my wishlist for this style would be focused primarily on ANH with a few ESB characters scattered in. I might want to see one or two ROTJ characters (like maybe a Biker Scout), but those would be the exceptions, not the rule.