Thread: Face Off

Hybrid View

Face Off

I'm kind of surprised that more people aren't watching this show, especially sci-fi fans. Anyways, we're halfway through season 4 right now and I've been very impressed with some of the talent on this season. Of course, there are also those artists who you have to wonder how they even made it onto the show in the first place.

Anthony if my pick to win this season and he's probably one of my favorite artists showcased on the show so far. I like that he isn't afraid to be playful with his designs and everything doesn't have to be a scary, demonic monster.

I'm a big fan of Eric F.'s and Wayne's work as well.

Anyways, double elimination tonight. I'm excited and kind of worried at the same time.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I think the problem is that it's a reality show and a lot of folks aren't into seeing how the sausage gets made, if you catch my drift. I enjoyed last season, although ironically I think the Star Wars episode was the weakest work they put out except for the teams that had Roy's creation (the winning entry) and Nicole's creation (I think, or maybe I'm mixing them up), the rest either felt a tad prequely or worse (one looked like a reject from the original Trek).

This season I haven't caught up on yet, I DVRed the marathon that aired yesterday but haven't watched any yet. Their designs in the preview during the season 3 finale looked very good though.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I think the problem is that it's a reality show and a lot of folks aren't into seeing how the sausage gets made, if you catch my drift. I enjoyed last season, although ironically I think the Star Wars episode was the weakest work they put out except for the teams that had Roy's creation (the winning entry) and Nicole's creation (I think, or maybe I'm mixing them up), the rest either felt a tad prequely or worse (one looked like a reject from the original Trek).

This season I haven't caught up on yet, I DVRed the marathon that aired yesterday but haven't watched any yet. Their designs in the preview during the season 3 finale looked very good though.
    I guess I can understand that. The behind the scenes stuff might take away too much of the magic for some. I could also see how CG effects have made much of this kind of work irrelevant and outdated, so it might not necessarily be as fascinating to people as it might have been 20-30 years ago. I thought maybe they could do something similar with 3D animated characters, but it would be absolutely impossible to make a fully realized CG character in only 3 days. Those characters take hundreds of people working for years to get them looking as realistic as they do.

I agree about the Star Wars challenge from last season. I actually liked Laura and Sarah's alien the best (the one with the white cloak), because it felt like something I would actually buy as an action figure. I had no issue with Roy and Rod's guy winning though, since that was a ton of work. I think I kind of cooled to the design as the season went on, though, because Rod kept repeating that same face sculpt over and over again.

However, I definitely agree that they felt more Prequely and not like they belonged in the OT at all. Too many bounty hunters and badasses. The actual Cantina scene worked because the aliens felt rough and unpleasant and just generally disturbing. A few of them were even goofy and made you want to laugh, but you probably wouldn't want to laugh in their face or they'd slit your throat. It was the seedy, dark underbelly of the Star Wars universe and the designs reflected that. So there weren't any polished characters that the designers went out of their way to make look "cool."
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I don't think a show about creating CGI characters would ever catch on because there's no drama in watching someone sit at a computer with a WACOM tablet, the art in digital arts is more in the artist's mind which is too complex a thing to show on TV.

Yeah, Rod really didn't know how to break out of that same face, that's what cut him.

I'm catching up on this season, and it's really odd to see such a large disparity of talents from one end of the contestant spectrum to the other. It's like there's so many mediocre people that they can't kick them off fast enough.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah, creating a character in a computer used to be such a wildly different process. It's a little more similar these days with 3D scanning becoming so commonplace and programs like ZBrush pretty much taking over the traditional modeling methods. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact 3D printing has on film special effects in the future.

But I agree, there's very little to base a TV show around. I don't know if you ever watched the Viral Video Showdown series on SyFy, but a lion's share of the competition for that show was centered around guys sitting in front of computers and it was incredibly boring to watch.

Rod's problem with his faces was that he didn't seem to understand the human face that well. Even when he consciously tried to change his faces, he still kept sculpting them with the same overall structure which is why they all looked so similar. It's actually not uncommon for artists since most of us learn to draw faces by using our own as a reference (even if we're not conscious of it). The best way to break out of that is to find a person who looks nothing like you and try to recreate their face. I think if Rod had just based his sculpting on one of the other contestants, that would have made all the difference, even if he didn't actually make it look like that person.

There are probably only about 5 or 6 truly talented artists this season. The rest I really don't understand how they made it onto the show in the first place. Fortunately, nobody has been eliminated so far that I didn't think deserved it.

Rod definitely just didn't recognize that he was exaggerating his face over and over again, it's too bad because his other ideas were pretty good. He probably would have been better served by working with less appliances, sticking closer to the actor's face underneath than trying to go full mask.

I must agree, it astonishes me to see how clumsy and thoughtless some of these contestants are, and makes me wonder how they got on the show with such meager skills.