Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Clone Wars team being disbanded, Disney to use regular TV division for next SW tv

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front...ded_150781.asp

I don't know how true this is, but that news really bothers me if there's any truth to it at all (and personally I believe it's likely accurate), it smacks of Disney making the cheap, corporate choices. Their TV series either are mediocre quality or are mistreated by the network and quickly abandoned. But, assuming this is true, it's pretty much the exact opposite thing from what Lucas wanted for SW, that quality should come first and foremost, it shouldn't get thrown to the same division that nearly closed the entire company a decade ago with poor quality vomiting out of every pore.

It also certainly means no Comic-Con panel for Clone Wars, no Dave Filoni dais talk and slideshow/video, since there's no product to pimp.

This is another bad turn of events, little things, that suggest this Disney purchase of Lucasfilm is going to be bad for SW in the long run, and I hope that's not the case.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hmm, this is disappointing. I can understand them wanting to focus on Episode VII, but why not keep Lucasfilm Animation (and, from what it sounds like, Lucasarts) in business as well? It's not the same division or employees, so where's the harm in doing so? Do they seriously think we can't handle different formats of SW entertainment at once? Disney certainly has the cash. Not that Detours looked like it was doing anything for the art of animation, but The Clone Wars was continually looking better and better as the team was getting more skilled at making it. I really wonder how George feels about all of this - well, I know he wanted The Clone Wars to continue, since he mapped out the end with Filoni as the sale was taking place, but even if that one show couldn't continue it's a shame the entire company has to go as well.

Dave Filoni is apparently still scheduled for Celebration Europe II, though his appearance on this week's Rebel Force Radio was just cancelled by Lucasfilm PR so who knows if he'll even show up at CEII. Hopefully soon we'll get details on how much "bonus content" there really is, since it sounds like there ain't much. I really wonder what Dave's place at the company will be going forward - I certainly hope he has one, preferably running whatever TV show comes next.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Hmm, this is disappointing. I can understand them wanting to focus on Episode VII, but why not keep Lucasfilm Animation (and, from what it sounds like, Lucasarts) in business as well? It's not the same division or employees, so where's the harm in doing so? Do they seriously think we can't handle different formats of SW entertainment at once? Disney certainly has the cash. Not that Detours looked like it was doing anything for the art of animation, but The Clone Wars was continually looking better and better as the team was getting more skilled at making it. I really wonder how George feels about all of this - well, I know he wanted The Clone Wars to continue, since he mapped out the end with Filoni as the sale was taking place, but even if that one show couldn't continue it's a shame the entire company has to go as well.

Dave Filoni is apparently still scheduled for Celebration Europe II, though his appearance on this week's Rebel Force Radio was just cancelled by Lucasfilm PR so who knows if he'll even show up at CEII. Hopefully soon we'll get details on how much "bonus content" there really is, since it sounds like there ain't much. I really wonder what Dave's place at the company will be going forward - I certainly hope he has one, preferably running whatever TV show comes next.
    I think Disney is trying to spend as little as possible, having outside animation houses means outside management they probably don't want to pay. Then again, they'd be fools to close down ILM, so perhaps it's about the perception of value and return, ILM is like Pixar while Lucasfilm Animation in Korea doesn't enjoy such cachet because it's neither a big name brand nor a big earner.

I didn't know Lucasfilm PR canned his appearance. I have a very bad feeling about this.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Y'all know I'm no fan of Clone Wars, but, really, this sucks. Disney's TV team isn't even their B-team, it's like their V-team, or maybe even their W-team.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Maybe he and some of the EU writers can create a Pixar-type offshoot company. And I suspect that the "I had a bad feeling about this" line will be trademarked by Disney, and will start every opening crawl of the SW films.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I didn't know Lucasfilm PR canned his appearance. I have a very bad feeling about this.
    They have since rescheduled it for the first week of April, thankfully. Hopefully by then we'll be able to get some answers.

I think Disney is trying to spend as little as possible, having outside animation houses means outside management they probably don't want to pay.
    Whats happening now with the Clone Wars team is exactly how it began with Power Rangers. Laying off almost everyone from the old regime when given the opportunity to do so (writers, costuming, props and special effects, pyrotechnics, CGI animation team, sound department etc.), then bringing everything in house. I think the only thing they kept were the japanese wirework/stunt men team because it was the only thing they couldn't replace.

Then again, they'd be fools to close down ILM, so perhaps it's about the perception of value and return, ILM is like Pixar while Lucasfilm Animation in Korea doesn't enjoy such cachet because it's neither a big name brand nor a big earner.
    Clouded in the shroud of the darkside the future is for ILM. They could keep it as is. Then again, I could just as easily see them gutting it and just using the ILM name for their in house department.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Y'all know I'm no fan of Clone Wars, but, really, this sucks. Disney's TV team isn't even their B-team, it's like their V-team, or maybe even their W-team.
    I was thinking more N-team, but yeah, it's lightyears away from acceptable news.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Maybe he and some of the EU writers can create a Pixar-type offshoot company. And I suspect that the "I had a bad feeling about this" line will be trademarked by Disney, and will start every opening crawl of the SW films.
    If Filoni created his own house, I don't think it'd work out too well, right now that kind of cartoon is unpopular and not getting any support from any network, and it'd be rough going for a while without a big hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    They have since rescheduled it for the first week of April, thankfully. Hopefully by then we'll be able to get some answers.
    At least that's something, please keep us updated on anything that comes from that appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    Whats happening now with the Clone Wars team is exactly how it began with Power Rangers. Laying off almost everyone from the old regime when given the opportunity to do so (writers, costuming, props and special effects, pyrotechnics, CGI animation team, sound department etc.), then bringing everything in house. I think the only thing they kept were the japanese wirework/stunt men team because it was the only thing they couldn't replace.

Clouded in the shroud of the darkside the future is for ILM. They could keep it as is. Then again, I could just as easily see them gutting it and just using the ILM name for their in house department.
    Not good at all, hopefully it doesn't get as bad as that, but it very well could.

TheForce.net reports that the remaining team is only completing work on two story arcs, and that another arc that included Boba Fett and dealt with the fates of Cad Bane and Aurra Sing will not be finished despite being very close to completion. Hopefully the Clovis arc doesn't count as one of the two.

I hate to be that guy, but this deal keeps getting worse all the time.

Dave Filoni confirmed that the bonus content will be available in early 2014. He didn't say anything about the format, amount, or subject matter other than it features a Yoda solo mission (which we already knew). So it seems we'll see what's left of The Clone Wars at least a few months before Rebels premieres.