Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aaaaand there goes LucasArts

Kotaku, video game journalist Geoff Keighley, and RebelForce Radio are reporting that LucasArts will no longer develop games, moving to licensing only, and starting layoffs, effectively shutting down altogether.

RebelForce Radio just posted the following from Lucasarts:
    “After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.”
    So, Disney has already cancelled the 3D releases, The Clone Wars, Detours, and now 1313, First Assault, and the planned-but-not-announced Battlefront III, all while laying off a ton of dedicated employees just so JJ Abrams can make Episode VII. (Not to mention Hasbro's own questionable, though unrelated, moves lately.) I'm waiting to hear that this has all been one elaborate April Fools joke. It's not like LucasArts hasn't been without its own issues the past several years, but a shutdown just sucks.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

RebelForceRadio there is quoting GameInformer, whose quote I just posted in the news:
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/conten...celing-SW-1313

This is really unacceptable. I get it, Disney doesn't want to do anything, they want licensees to do all the work and they just collect all the licensing fees, that's how they've done it in the past with their other brands - it's why there's no Disney Toy Company even for their parks merch, all that stuff is made by other companies even if it's not branded. But to shutter these houses without transition is bullcrap, you don't steamroll a company like this and expect fans to stay loyal.

Hasbro's troubles were unrelated of course, but between that and all your examples and today's news, it really does make the Star Wars brand feel like it's in a tailspin.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Can't say this surprises me, but its still gut wrenching to hear given all the great games, Star Wars and otherwise, LucasArts has given us for 30 years. So who wants to guess what the next thing to be gutted will be?
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Hasbro's troubles were unrelated of course, but between that and all your examples and today's news, it really does make the Star Wars brand feel like it's in a tailspin.
    Thinking on it more, even though Hasbro had a disastrous 2012 and rising cost issues long before the Disney deal went through and we'll be feeling the repercussions for a while (see: figures with five points of articulation, vehicles that feel like party favors), they still had a number of their plans fouled up by the reshuffling. I'm sure the cancellation of the 3D releases and Clone Wars played a part in the Yoda carded figures not being available in the USA, and they can't be happy about the fact that there's no more tie-in entertainment on screens big or small until at least 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite
    So who wants to guess what the next thing to be gutted will be?
    Now pretty much every big reveal from CVI has been cancelled aside from Celebration Europe II, though to hear that's not happening wouldn't remotely surprise me at this point. Heck, what would they even talk about there?

So, we Hasbro collectors are already having our own issues. Disney's ticked off Clone Wars viewers, and now gamers. EU fans are already planning on having their own crisis when the new films contradict everything, and it's likely Dark Horse will go away when their contract is up anyway. Last year was the first not to have a Fan Film Award competition since its inception, so that's out the window even though I don't know why. For all we know, they'll slap the 501st with a cease-and-desist order soon.

All Disney seems to care about is the movies, but the OT-only fans are still mad about the prequels and revisions and the PT fans don't get to see them in 3D this year. Hooray! Now we're all annoyed together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Now pretty much every big reveal from CVI has been cancelled aside from Celebration Europe II, though to hear that's not happening wouldn't remotely surprise me at this point. Heck, what would they even talk about there?

So, we Hasbro collectors are already having our own issues. Disney's ticked off Clone Wars viewers, and now gamers. EU fans are already planning on having their own crisis when the new films contradict everything, and it's likely Dark Horse will go away when their contract is up anyway. Last year was the first not to have a Fan Film Award competition since its inception, so that's out the window even though I don't know why. For all we know, they'll slap the 501st with a cease-and-desist order soon.

All Disney seems to care about is the movies, but the OT-only fans are still mad about the prequels and revisions and the PT fans don't get to see them in 3D this year. Hooray! Now we're all annoyed together.
    I'm predicting it'll either be Skywalker Sound or ILM that gets the ax next. I'd say THX would also be up at bat if Creative Labs didn't own it and have a 60% share. Who knows though, Disney will probably just buy them out too and then gut THX. Or maybe those rumors about them attempting to buy out Hasbro will come to truth and they can gut that.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    This is really unacceptable. I get it, Disney doesn't want to do anything, they want licensees to do all the work and they just collect all the licensing fees, that's how they've done it in the past with their other brands - it's why there's no Disney Toy Company even for their parks merch, all that stuff is made by other companies even if it's not branded.
    And, yet, they canned the Dark Horse license, despite it being one the most successful in the history of licensed comics.

Also, remember once upon a time, in the days of the NES and Genesis, when it was pretty much guaranteed a Disney video game would be good? Now, it's the exception to the rule if it doesn't suck eggs.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

All this... for three movies nobody asked for.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

This is what I feared. Disney is the Galactic Empire and doesn't even realize the irony.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    I'm predicting it'll either be Skywalker Sound or ILM that gets the ax next. I'd say THX would also be up at bat if Creative Labs didn't own it and have a 60% share. Who knows though, Disney will probably just buy them out too and then gut THX. Or maybe those rumors about them attempting to buy out Hasbro will come to truth and they can gut that.
    Disney films often use Sky Sound and ILM for post-production services, along with tons of other films every year, so I hope and believe that they are relatively safe for now. LucasArts hadn't exactly been doing so hot the last few years, and it seems like Lucasfilm Animation wasn't profitable enough either, which is why those were the ones to go. Er, well, they're still around in their skeleton forms for now, but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    And, yet, they canned the Dark Horse license, despite it being one the most successful in the history of licensed comics.
    You mean Disney cancelling the Dark Horse license for Star Wars? That was just a rumor, though I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it comes true.

You sure it's a rumor? Last I'd heard, it came directly from the DH president.

My theory: Disney wants people to stop comparing Lando and Tinkerbell, and finding Tinkerbell is the worst traitor because she didn't have a Sith Lord breathing down her back. They marginalize Star Wars until no one cares anymore, and people just assume Lando's worse, so they can sell more Tinkerbell crap to kids who need better animated role models than a petty, spiteful b****.
    Tommy, close your eyes.