Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kotaku reported that 1313 was going to star Boba Fett. They have awesome-looking concept art, one of which includes C-21 Highsinger, the droid that first appeared in The Clone Wars episode "Bounty." So it looked like this was going to be similar to 2002's great Bounty Hunter game. Given that one of the close-but-not-close-enough Clone Wars arcs was evidently going to be about Boba, that's two cool-sounding Boba projects we'll never see. Great.

Apparently, it's not just Lucasarts that's getting the axe. Disney is about to have major layoffs in its consumer production department and at their studios.

Disney Exec 1: "Hey guys! Let's buy Star Wars for 4 billion dollars!"

Disney Exec 2: "Dude, we don't have the money for that."

Disney Exec 1: "Sure we do. All we have to do is free up space by laying off all the hard working people that make our company go. Once we stop paying their salaries, cut their benefits, and essentially ruin their lives, we will have plenty of money to purchase Star Wars."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Kotaku reported that 1313 was going to star Boba Fett. They have awesome-looking concept art, one of which includes C-21 Highsinger, the droid that first appeared in The Clone Wars episode "Bounty." So it looked like this was going to be similar to 2002's great Bounty Hunter game. Given that one of the close-but-not-close-enough Clone Wars arcs was evidently going to be about Boba, that's two cool-sounding Boba projects we'll never see. Great.
    Not surprising it was about Boba Fett. It was pretty much the worst kept secret, considering who would really want to play a game as some random, not jetpack, bounty hunter. Still, since it was confirmed, it does make it that much more of a bummer.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

I don't know how I missed this, but apparently the LucasArts and Lucasfilm Animation layoffs caused an unknown number of layoffs at ILM, mostly support staff and people involved with the other two companies. Joel Aron posted another set of portraits of those affected at LucasArts and ILM, sadly.

Kotaku makes a compelling argument for why we shouldn't be lamenting LucasArts' loss, why its management troubles led it to being a total disaster before Disney closed its doors, and why Disney could end up being good for their brands: http://kotaku.com/lucasarts-closing-...a-ce-468833930

Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Monkey Island, Loom, Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango, Fracture... these are titles that should have been current-gen console and PC game stars. And yet under LucasArts in the last decade, they stagnated, they went nowhere, they stalled and almost nothing they produced came out right.

When you keep handing the kitchen staff filet mignon and they keep either turning out hamburger or just throwing it away, it's time to fire the kitchen staff.

All Disney seems to care about is the movies, but the OT-only fans are still mad about the prequels and revisions and the PT fans don't get to see them in 3D this year. Hooray! Now we're all annoyed together.
    Disney has shown that they are hungry for ancillary sales in all areas. I don't think that's all they care about, just that they don't want to pay another company's infrastructure in those other areas when they already have in-house people for those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    I'm predicting it'll either be Skywalker Sound or ILM that gets the ax next. I'd say THX would also be up at bat if Creative Labs didn't own it and have a 60% share. Who knows though, Disney will probably just buy them out too and then gut THX. Or maybe those rumors about them attempting to buy out Hasbro will come to truth and they can gut that.
    I would be surprised if ILM gets the axe, I would think the most successful fx house in the world is going to be allowed to keep its own campus the same way they let Pixar keep their own campus. Skywalker Sound pretty much the same. THX holds ultra-valuable patents and are developing a lot of licensed technology based on that, it'd be really stupid to close their doors or sell off 40% if that's what Disney owns.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    And, yet, they canned the Dark Horse license, despite it being one the most successful in the history of licensed comics.
    Well, the one thing Disney is stuck owning is Marvel Comics, so why lose money to Dark Horse when you can keep it all?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    All this... for three movies nobody asked for.
    Lucas was going to make them either way, but I hear ya, why sell your soul to make something that nobody has faith will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    Apparently, it's not just Lucasarts that's getting the axe. Disney is about to have major layoffs in its consumer production department and at their studios.
    Ugh, those guys at Lucas Licensing are really top drawer people, they are knowledgeable and passionate about the brand and developing product based on it, you're not going to get that with just any ol' corporate exec.

I don't know how I missed this, but apparently the LucasArts and Lucasfilm Animation layoffs caused an unknown number of layoffs at ILM, mostly support staff and people involved with the other two companies. Joel Aron posted another set of portraits of those affected at LucasArts and ILM, sadly.
    Geez, that's brutal. It'd have been nice for management to have gotten their houses in order so this wouldn't have happened, loaning employees around could only end in problems like this. Disney must really be tightening the belts there to have not been able to absorb those "refugees".
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Kotaku makes a compelling argument for why we shouldn't be lamenting LucasArts' loss, why its management troubles led it to being a total disaster before Disney closed its doors, and why Disney could end up being good for their brands: http://kotaku.com/lucasarts-closing-...a-ce-468833930

Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Monkey Island, Loom, Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango, Fracture... these are titles that should have been current-gen console and PC game stars. And yet under LucasArts in the last decade, they stagnated, they went nowhere, they stalled and almost nothing they produced came out right.

When you keep handing the kitchen staff filet mignon and they keep either turning out hamburger or just throwing it away, it's time to fire the kitchen staff.
    That's pretty much the way I see it. When I think of games like Star Wars Kinect, then I can't help but think that shutting down LucasArts was the best possible decision Disney could have made.

Maybe Lucas liked his companies to be bloated and inefficient and Disney just likes to run a tighter ship.