Hybrid View

Article: Disney Shutting Down LucasArts, Possibly Canceling SW 1313

Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

"This deal's getting worse all the time!" I'm getting sick of quoting Lando in this Disney deal, sick of it fitting so darned well. I was really looking forward to playing 1313 too.

I fear we may be watching Star Wars die before our very eyes. I hope I'm wrong, but these aren't promising signs.

The mods should open up and allow swearing now, because news like this is going to keep on rolling in.

I would love to hear GL's comments on this. It's nice that he gave the sale money to charity, but it's costing lots of good, hard working people there jobs...

Disney wants their $4 billion back as quickly as possible. I think they are going to continue to "streamline" the Lucas properties in order to maximize their profits.

Since I have zero interest in Star Wars video games, this is really not a big loss for me. Maybe we can actually get some GOOD Star Wars video games made for a change. If Star Wars Kinect was any indication, then I think shutting down LucasArts was a long time coming.

So, what's this going to do for TOR? Not that I care, but is that online game going to continue to be supported?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    So, what's this going to do for TOR? Not that I care, but is that online game going to continue to be supported?
    TOR is run and developed by EA and Bioware, and they have a contract for a set time to be able to run the MMO. I'm not sure what the time on the contract is, but I know the game was designed with the goal of having it run for 10 years.

As long as it continues to make money, it will probalby continue to opperate.

Any word on how or if this affects Angry Bird Star Wars or the new pinball game?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    I would love to hear GL's comments on this. It's nice that he gave the sale money to charity, but it's costing lots of good, hard working people there jobs...
    I'd really love to hear what Lucas has to say on this matter. Then again, some of this is his fault by letting his companies get mismanaged and dwindle away funds on vaporware and crap well before Disney came along. Those people might not have lost their jobs had LucasArts been putting out games and more IP instead of sitting around doing almost nothing for the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    Any word on how or if this affects Angry Bird Star Wars or the new pinball game?
    It shouldn't affect them at all as they're both licensed and only should have minimal LucasArts input.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.