Hybrid View

Anakin Skywalker is not in a real race, it's a joke race for little people

It just dawned on me recently that in TPM, Anakin isn't in a real race, he's in a kiddie joke race. That's the only explanation I can think of for why EVERY racer is a little person. How do you explain Mawhonic, who is supposed to be an adult Gran and yet is only slightly taller than a 9-year-old? It's a "freak show" race, pure and simple, the people of Mos Espa are secretly laughing at the racers, most of whom are height-challenged, and Teemto Pagalies is mentally handicapped. The whole thing is probably bankrolled by Ben Quadinaros who knows this is the only way anybody will let him race, that's why his is the only podracer with 4 engines, and even then he screws it up!

It's cruel and it's sick.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

What an odd interpretation. The pilots are small for maneuverability. At a horse race, do people go just to laugh at the short jockeys?

What's cruel and sick is making so many of the aliens look different from their OT counterparts (particularly the Aqualish and Gran, as well as deciding Neimoidians were the guys in the cantina when they'd been called Duros for ages). Changing the number of fingers or eyes an entire race has is a pretty huge discrepancy. Mawhonic's having a completely different type of hand from Ree-Yees bothered me more than anything else about the race.

But I do like your thought process.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    What an odd interpretation. The pilots are small for maneuverability. At a horse race, do people go just to laugh at the short jockeys?
    Jockeys are generally 4' 10" to 5' 6", while NASCAR drivers (NASCAR being the inspiration for this, after all) run about 5' 6" to 6'. Yet the drivers in the Podrace are all Anakin's height, that of a 7 year old actor playing a 9 year old boy, so the average height there is just shy of 4'. There were non-racer characters in the film that height too, most of them were children, and one of them was a little person (Wald), none of them except Sebulba were portrayed as just "short regular people" though. Admit it, it's really odd that all the racers are child-sized and don't conform to other Star Wars character heights.

EDIT: apparently they're saying Wald is a kid, I had no idea, kinda weird.

Another way to look at it, if any of these movies had employed an all-Jawa sport, would that have been seen as a "normal" sport? An all-Ewok sport? All-Ugnaught?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    What's cruel and sick is making so many of the aliens look different from their OT counterparts (particularly the Aqualish and Gran, as well as deciding Neimoidians were the guys in the cantina when they'd been called Duros for ages). Changing the number of fingers or eyes an entire race has is a pretty huge discrepancy. Mawhonic's having a completely different type of hand from Ree-Yees bothered me more than anything else about the race.

But I do like your thought process.
    Thanks!

I agree, changing the established designs for the prequels was incongruous and irksome, it's like every race has Ponda Baba's hidden hand syndrome, only sometimes it manifests itself as extra eyes and stuff. Mawhonic has 6 fingers per hand! He's a friggin' freakshow all by himself.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

There are now, what, six different varieties of Aqualish? I'm exaggerating, but not much. What was a cool idea to apply to one species to explain a minor editing mistake (Ponda is briefly seen with flippers in ANH) is ridiculous (especially when you compound it by adding more versions). It's farfetched that it could happen once, but you can accept it in that one case. On multiple planets, with many species? Yeesh.

Look at any animal with various subspecies or breeds. A doberman looks way different from a chihuahua, but they both have four legs, five toes, two eyes, and hair. It's not like one is a twelve-eyed reptile with wheels or something. The height difference between Mawhonic and Ree Yees (and possibly the Gran senators; they're not clearly visible onscreen with a frame of reference to pinpoint their height) could be acceptable. The hands thing, not so much (unless they retcon Ree Yees to say he had some sort of birth defect or severe hand tumors or something).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

There are 3 Aqualish subspecies, making them only slightly less annoying than Niktos. The Nikto thing pretty much ruins that whole name for me, the EU has embellished it worse and now it's unusable - you cannot say a character is a Nikto anymore. So apparently every species has vast physical differences in Star Wars, where they have extra eyes, 3 different sets of hands, and whatever else. It's awful.

No, I'm sticking with "cruel midget freakshow race" for the podrace, it's a joke race that's been taken too far. Why else would they let a little kid race in it anyway?!? Can you imagine a bunch of adult jockeys in horseracing or NASCAR drivers accepting the officiators allowing a child into their competition? If the kid wins, you've lost to a child. If the kid loses, you've beaten a child. If the kid gets hurt, somehow you're the bad guy. And the kid is way more likely to wipe out causing YOU to crash.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    It just dawned on me recently that in TPM, Anakin isn't in a real race, he's in a kiddie joke race. It's a "freak show" race, pure and simple, the people of Mos Espa are secretly laughing at the racers, most of whom are height-challenged, and Teemto Pagalies is mentally handicapped.
    Sort of like the Special Olympics? You know, there's a special level in Hades for those who laugh at the Special Olympics...
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-