Anakin Skywalker is not in a real race, it's a joke race for little people

It just dawned on me recently that in TPM, Anakin isn't in a real race, he's in a kiddie joke race. That's the only explanation I can think of for why EVERY racer is a little person. How do you explain Mawhonic, who is supposed to be an adult Gran and yet is only slightly taller than a 9-year-old? It's a "freak show" race, pure and simple, the people of Mos Espa are secretly laughing at the racers, most of whom are height-challenged, and Teemto Pagalies is mentally handicapped. The whole thing is probably bankrolled by Ben Quadinaros who knows this is the only way anybody will let him race, that's why his is the only podracer with 4 engines, and even then he screws it up!

It's cruel and it's sick.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

What an odd interpretation. The pilots are small for maneuverability. At a horse race, do people go just to laugh at the short jockeys?
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

What's cruel and sick is making so many of the aliens look different from their OT counterparts (particularly the Aqualish and Gran, as well as deciding Neimoidians were the guys in the cantina when they'd been called Duros for ages). Changing the number of fingers or eyes an entire race has is a pretty huge discrepancy. Mawhonic's having a completely different type of hand from Ree-Yees bothered me more than anything else about the race.

But I do like your thought process.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    What an odd interpretation. The pilots are small for maneuverability. At a horse race, do people go just to laugh at the short jockeys?
    Jockeys are generally 4' 10" to 5' 6", while NASCAR drivers (NASCAR being the inspiration for this, after all) run about 5' 6" to 6'. Yet the drivers in the Podrace are all Anakin's height, that of a 7 year old actor playing a 9 year old boy, so the average height there is just shy of 4'. There were non-racer characters in the film that height too, most of them were children, and one of them was a little person (Wald), none of them except Sebulba were portrayed as just "short regular people" though. Admit it, it's really odd that all the racers are child-sized and don't conform to other Star Wars character heights.

EDIT: apparently they're saying Wald is a kid, I had no idea, kinda weird.

Another way to look at it, if any of these movies had employed an all-Jawa sport, would that have been seen as a "normal" sport? An all-Ewok sport? All-Ugnaught?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    What's cruel and sick is making so many of the aliens look different from their OT counterparts (particularly the Aqualish and Gran, as well as deciding Neimoidians were the guys in the cantina when they'd been called Duros for ages). Changing the number of fingers or eyes an entire race has is a pretty huge discrepancy. Mawhonic's having a completely different type of hand from Ree-Yees bothered me more than anything else about the race.

But I do like your thought process.
    Thanks!

I agree, changing the established designs for the prequels was incongruous and irksome, it's like every race has Ponda Baba's hidden hand syndrome, only sometimes it manifests itself as extra eyes and stuff. Mawhonic has 6 fingers per hand! He's a friggin' freakshow all by himself.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

There are now, what, six different varieties of Aqualish? I'm exaggerating, but not much. What was a cool idea to apply to one species to explain a minor editing mistake (Ponda is briefly seen with flippers in ANH) is ridiculous (especially when you compound it by adding more versions). It's farfetched that it could happen once, but you can accept it in that one case. On multiple planets, with many species? Yeesh.

Look at any animal with various subspecies or breeds. A doberman looks way different from a chihuahua, but they both have four legs, five toes, two eyes, and hair. It's not like one is a twelve-eyed reptile with wheels or something. The height difference between Mawhonic and Ree Yees (and possibly the Gran senators; they're not clearly visible onscreen with a frame of reference to pinpoint their height) could be acceptable. The hands thing, not so much (unless they retcon Ree Yees to say he had some sort of birth defect or severe hand tumors or something).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

There are 3 Aqualish subspecies, making them only slightly less annoying than Niktos. The Nikto thing pretty much ruins that whole name for me, the EU has embellished it worse and now it's unusable - you cannot say a character is a Nikto anymore. So apparently every species has vast physical differences in Star Wars, where they have extra eyes, 3 different sets of hands, and whatever else. It's awful.

No, I'm sticking with "cruel midget freakshow race" for the podrace, it's a joke race that's been taken too far. Why else would they let a little kid race in it anyway?!? Can you imagine a bunch of adult jockeys in horseracing or NASCAR drivers accepting the officiators allowing a child into their competition? If the kid wins, you've lost to a child. If the kid loses, you've beaten a child. If the kid gets hurt, somehow you're the bad guy. And the kid is way more likely to wipe out causing YOU to crash.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Jockeys are generally 4' 10" to 5' 6", while NASCAR drivers (NASCAR being the inspiration for this, after all) run about 5' 6" to 6'. Yet the drivers in the Podrace are all Anakin's height, that of a 7 year old actor playing a 9 year old boy, so the average height there is just shy of 4'. There were non-racer characters in the film that height too, most of them were children, and one of them was a little person (Wald), none of them except Sebulba were portrayed as just "short regular people" though. Admit it, it's really odd that all the racers are child-sized and don't conform to other Star Wars character heights.

EDIT: apparently they're saying Wald is a kid, I had no idea, kinda weird.

Another way to look at it, if any of these movies had employed an all-Jawa sport, would that have been seen as a "normal" sport? An all-Ewok sport? All-Ugnaught?
    There's actually quite a lot to get into here, so this is going to be an immense post.

Wald hangs out with Kitster and Anakin's other friends and is seen holding a toy when we first see him, did you think he was just someone's creepy uncle? I know he was played by Warwick Davis, of course, but it was likely just because having a kid wear a mask for that long would be problematic. Anyway, we've established that Wald is a child and thus supposed to be short, so let's forget about him.

For the record, Google lists Jake Lloyd these days at 5'7", Ewan McGregor as 5'10", and Liam Neeson as 6'4". Wookieepedia lists Anakin's height as a child as 1.35 meters, which is around 4'4" or 4'5". That looks more or less correct.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anakin in Council.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	27330

Wookieepedia also runs the gamut on the heights of the pod racers - Ody Mandrell and Ben Quadinaros are listed as 5'4", and Ratts Tyerell is 2'6". It's possible that these heights were just made up by licensing people, and it might not correspond directly with what's seen in the film as digital models are scaled differently, but it goes to show that there is still supposed to be quite a range between the drivers, though they're all on the short side.

Anakin Skywalker is a human child and Mawhonic is a Gran - he's his own can of worms, so I'd like to separate him from the discussion for now, and we'll go over that in a second - so we've seen those kinds of people before, but the other racers are all of newly created species. For many of the racers, they're the only members of their respective species that we see on-screen, but that's not always the case. You're right that Sebulba is portrayed as "regular," and this is backed up by the films - we later see other Dugs in AOTC, the ROTJ Blu-ray, and TCW (with a few prominent speaking roles), and they're all Sebulba's size, confirming that he's of normal stature. Several Aleena like Ratts Tyerell are seen in Mos Espa and on Coruscant throughout TPM and AOTC (not to mention the TPM deleted scene with Ratts' wife) and they're all very short; TCW's "Mercy Mission" visited their home planet and showed them as all short, too. The vendor Nial Fieso is a Xexto like Gasgano, and while it's a little difficult to tell, they appear to be of similar sizes.

I'm assuming you're thinking that George would have been the person to decide that the pod race was stocked with abnormally short characters, so it would follow reason that he would speak up and tell the animators that the non-podracing members of those species should be larger, but he never did in any project that he had a hand in working on, from as early as during the production of TPM, when the freak-show aspect would have been fresh in his mind. The EU establishes the pilots as all normal height, but even ignoring that and looking at the clues presented in Lucas' cinematic canon (the films plus The Clone Wars), there's nothing to suggest that the pilots are supposed to be freaks. (Again, we'll get to Mawhonic in a second.)

You're right that we don't see all-Jawa, all-Ewok, all-Ugnaught sports in the films, but that brings up another point - Star Wars has already been established as having many species of all shapes and sizes, including lots of very short ones. ANH brought us Jawas and Chadra-Fan - we can assume Kabe to be an adult since she was drinking at the bar. ESB introduced Ugnaughts and Yoda. ROTJ gave us several, from the Ewoks to Kowakian monkey-lizards to Kitonak (Droopy McCool) to Ortolan (Max Rebo, whose hands were actually supposed to be feet). Outside the pod race, TPM gave us Toydarians, Lannik (Even Piell), and another of Yoda's species (Yaddle), showing that Yoda is evidently normal height for his species. AOTC introduced Gossam (Shu Mai), and ROTS included Polis Massans and Utai. The Clone Wars had Kerkoiden (Whorm Loathsom), Lurmen, Patrolian (Robonino), not to mention the Patitite (whose king is squished by Artoo) and Zilkin (Meebur Gascon).

It should go without saying that it's easiest for aliens to be the same size and shape as average humans, seeing as how most of them are portrayed by actors in costume, and there can't possibly be as many little people actors available as average-sized ones. As the puppetry and CGI got more advanced, it became easier to design and realize weirder aliens, which is what you see more and more of in later entries. Nevertheless, little people have been a part of Star Wars since the beginning, and as with all the species in the series there are short people of every level of intelligence and capability. Much of Yoda's impact comes from the fact that he is so small - "Judge me by my size, do you?" The fact that you shouldn't judge people based on their size or appearance is most obviously indicated with him, but it's a theme that is repeated prominently throughout the series, even as recently as just a few months ago with Colonel Gascon. Even in TPM, Watto is a significant character whose size doesn't matter - he fits the bill of a "regular short person" quite well (and TCW confirmed that all Toydarians are around this size). So saying that the pod racers "don't conform to other Star Wars character heights" is false, and saying that this is supposed to be a freak-show of small people goes against some of the core themes of the saga.

I still say this is in line with the real world, where different sports - not just racing - generally have participants of different sizes. A typical basketball player couldn't compete in gymnastics very easily, for instance. Still, psychologically we tend to relate being small with being fast and nimble, which I'm still thinking was the inspiration for making the racers short. It might not matter much given the size of the pod, but it couldn't be good to weigh down the pod with too large of a pilot. And no, we don't see all-Jawa sports, but we really don't see any other sports in Star Wars at all - aside from the ones on the screens at the Outlander Club, where one is actually showing all-nuna football, which is almost weirder than something like all-Ugnuaght soccer.

I'm not sure why you called out Teemto Pagalies as being mentally challenged. What does he do aside from wave at the crowd, wipe a bug off his visor, and try to protect his face when the Tusken Raiders shoot down his pod? Elan Mak was the only racer who, to me, looked like he might not have been all-there, based on his slow reaction to the crowd in the deleted scene. But the actual operation of the pod looks like it's pretty difficult, given what the film shows - I don't think just any idiot could do it.

As for "why would they let a kid do it?" Remember that, for every pod race he's ever competed in, Anakin was forced to do so by Watto. I don't think the other drivers or spectators consider him a threat or even a real competitor - people audibly laugh at him when he can't start the pod, and he's never even finished a race before. He's just a slave, and all kinds of illicit things are already going on around the pod races anyway - gambling, Sebulba's cheating, slave trading - so who really cares if he lives or dies (aside from how much they'd have to pay Watto)? But he's clearly not just some kid they found off the street, he has exceptional skills and reflexes to rival any of the other racers. As long as Watto pays the entry fee, I don't see why people would have much of a problem with Anakin racing.

Ah, but it all goes back to Mawhonic, doesn't it? Mawhonic's height, much like Nien Nunb before him, is debatable. It looks to me like he's actually not supposed to be tiny.

The character itself was portrayed on-set by a full-height actor, Danny Wagner, an ILM modelmaker and makeup artist who appears on many of the Blu-ray special features. I don't know how tall he is, but the Mawhonic costume was later reused in the Nightlander Club as the oh-so-imaginatively named Nic Whoma, and based on Wookieepedia's cruddy photo, it looks like Nic is of average height. So, in reality at least, Mawhonic was regular-sized. Hasbro's Mawhonic figure - released twice last year - stands as tall as young Anakin, meaning he's somewhere between one and two feet shorter than a regular-height human. Of course, Mawhonic could have been scaled down digitally in the film - but was he?

First off, there are several Gran that walk through the background of TPM, and they're all at full human height. Whether or not you can ascertain the height of the Gran senators in TPM (including Aks Moe - and I always thought they were full-height), Ask Aak is of similar height to Bail Organa in AOTC. These ones in the hangar are on the same plane as the Gella girls and the Nikto to Watto's right.

Name:	Grans in hangar.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	27329

So who are these guys? It's hard to make out the details, but they don't dress like Mawhonic, so we can assume he's not one of them. It's likely that they're Mawhonic's pit crew - they're not near his pod racer here, but they are dressed fairly similarly to the Gran that are standing near Mawhonic's pod racer before the race. The compisiting is odd, but the two Gran near his pod racer look to be the same height as he is.

Name:	Mawhonic back.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	27325

Here's a wider shot, comparing the sizes of the pod racers. Mawhonic's is in the lower right of the shot, in the front row, and Anakin's is in the the middle of the second row. Anakin's is the smallest, and Mawhonic's is taller, though not the tallest one there. The two figures near Mawhonic's pod look to be around the same height as other characters in the shot, and they are the same height as the Gran that was standing directly next to Mawhonic's engine in the last shot I attached.

Name:	Boonta_Eve_Podracers.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	27326

Here's a shot of Anakin standing next to the engines.

Name:	Anakin near pod.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	27327

Here's Mawhonic with Anakin's engines behind him.

Name:	Mawhonic front.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	27328

These last two shots are filmed from different angles, but it's still pretty clear that Anakin is supposed to be shorter than the engines at this point and Mawhonic is supposed to be taller.

It looks to me like Mawhonic was supposed to be normal-sized, but someone somewhere decided after the film was done that he should be the same height as the rest of the racers. Digital compositing can be tricky business, but I don't think he was scaled down much, if at all. Maybe he's supposed to be a little shorter than the average Gran, but not by a lot. I believe that he - like Nien - was robbed of his full stature for no good reason.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    It just dawned on me recently that in TPM, Anakin isn't in a real race, he's in a kiddie joke race. It's a "freak show" race, pure and simple, the people of Mos Espa are secretly laughing at the racers, most of whom are height-challenged, and Teemto Pagalies is mentally handicapped.
    Sort of like the Special Olympics? You know, there's a special level in Hades for those who laugh at the Special Olympics...
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    There's actually quite a lot to get into here, so this is going to be an immense post.

Wald hangs out with Kitster and Anakin's other friends and is seen holding a toy when we first see him, did you think he was just someone's creepy uncle? I know he was played by Warwick Davis, of course, but it was likely just because having a kid wear a mask for that long would be problematic. Anyway, we've established that Wald is a child and thus supposed to be short, so let's forget about him.
    Wald has a giant head and very small limbs, he reminded me of an adult little person who hangs out with kids. They had a kid wearing a mask playing Greedo, that scene was filmed:
    http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ima...invsgreedo.jpg

For the record, Google lists Jake Lloyd these days at 5'7", Ewan McGregor as 5'10", and Liam Neeson as 6'4". Wookieepedia lists Anakin's height as a child as 1.35 meters, which is around 4'4" or 4'5". That looks more or less correct.

Name:	Anakin in Council.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	27330
    Bah, Wookieepedia listing cannot be trusted, and also the actor went through a growth spurt during filming.

Wookieepedia also runs the gamut on the heights of the pod racers - Ody Mandrell and Ben Quadinaros are listed as 5'4", and Ratts Tyerell is 2'6". It's possible that these heights were just made up by licensing people, and it might not correspond directly with what's seen in the film as digital models are scaled differently, but it goes to show that there is still supposed to be quite a range between the drivers, though they're all on the short side.
    The Hasbro figure for Ody Mandrell is more like 4' 9" or so, and Ben Quadinaros is only the same if you count his antenna, he's at most 3/4s a head taller than Anakin in that wave. There's not much to judge these characters against in the film, but you can't tell me those numbers look like they make sense on-screen.

I'm assuming you're thinking that George would have been the person to decide that the pod race was stocked with abnormally short characters, so it would follow reason that he would speak up and tell the animators that the non-podracing members of those species should be larger, but he never did in any project that he had a hand in working on, from as early as during the production of TPM, when the freak-show aspect would have been fresh in his mind. The EU establishes the pilots as all normal height, but even ignoring that and looking at the clues presented in Lucas' cinematic canon (the films plus The Clone Wars), there's nothing to suggest that the pilots are supposed to be freaks. (Again, we'll get to Mawhonic in a second.)
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised to learn that Lucas either A) demanded they all be tiny for a very specific reason; or B) didn't think about it at all and let the ILM artists come up with whatever they wanted.

You're right that we don't see all-Jawa, all-Ewok, all-Ugnaught sports in the films, but that brings up another point - Star Wars has already been established as having many species of all shapes and sizes, including lots of very short ones. ANH brought us Jawas and Chadra-Fan - we can assume Kabe to be an adult since she was drinking at the bar. ESB introduced Ugnaughts and Yoda. ROTJ gave us several, from the Ewoks to Kowakian monkey-lizards to Kitonak (Droopy McCool) to Ortolan (Max Rebo, whose hands were actually supposed to be feet). Outside the pod race, TPM gave us Toydarians, Lannik (Even Piell), and another of Yoda's species (Yaddle), showing that Yoda is evidently normal height for his species. AOTC introduced Gossam (Shu Mai), and ROTS included Polis Massans and Utai. The Clone Wars had Kerkoiden (Whorm Loathsom), Lurmen, Patrolian (Robonino), not to mention the Patitite (whose king is squished by Artoo) and Zilkin (Meebur Gascon).
    Jawas and Chadra-Fan are portrayed as lesser-thans in ANH, the Jawas being treated as lesser-thans in the whole saga and they seem to put Kabe's drink outside her reach and she needs help getting it. The Ugnaughts are servants who are mostly seen working in the dark underbelly of Cloud City rather than its upper quarters, as well as the background on Jabba's entourage. Salacious Crumb is treated as a pet. Droopy McCool is Leia's height and looks it, so he doesn't count here IMO, he's in range.

I didn't know that about Max Rebo, that's really stupid work then because instead of following the design they put the "hips" up where the shoulders should be and thus ruined the whole thing.

I give no cares as to the goofy gopher review that is the Jedi Council, it's a rainbow coalition of ineffective weirdos meant to be a rainbow collection of ineffective weirdos.

The cantina is the audience's first view of aliens, so too the podrace is the audience's first view of prequel aliens, and in the former they're all different sizes while in the latter they all come off as roughly Anakin's height.

I still say this is in line with the real world, where different sports - not just racing - generally have participants of different sizes. A typical basketball player couldn't compete in gymnastics very easily, for instance. Still, psychologically we tend to relate being small with being fast and nimble, which I'm still thinking was the inspiration for making the racers short. It might not matter much given the size of the pod, but it couldn't be good to weigh down the pod with too large of a pilot. And no, we don't see all-Jawa sports, but we really don't see any other sports in Star Wars at all - aside from the ones on the screens at the Outlander Club, where one is actually showing all-nuna football, which is almost weirder than something like all-Ugnuaght soccer.
    You *would* say that!

BTW, Nuna-Ball is a lot like Ugnaught Soccer... provided the Ugnaught is the ball.

I'm not sure why you called out Teemto Pagalies as being mentally challenged. What does he do aside from wave at the crowd, wipe a bug off his visor, and try to protect his face when the Tusken Raiders shoot down his pod? Elan Mak was the only racer who, to me, looked like he might not have been all-there, based on his slow reaction to the crowd in the deleted scene. But the actual operation of the pod looks like it's pretty difficult, given what the film shows - I don't think just any idiot could do it.
    He makes a doofy sound when exclaiming something - crashing perhaps - and he kinda has the look of a character designed to be in that department, I think they played that up in the game as well.

Elan Mak was also kinda wonky but that was due to his weird eyes.

As for "why would they let a kid do it?" Remember that, for every pod race he's ever competed in, Anakin was forced to do so by Watto. I don't think the other drivers or spectators consider him a threat or even a real competitor - people audibly laugh at him when he can't start the pod, and he's never even finished a race before. He's just a slave, and all kinds of illicit things are already going on around the pod races anyway - gambling, Sebulba's cheating, slave trading - so who really cares if he lives or dies (aside from how much they'd have to pay Watto)? But he's clearly not just some kid they found off the street, he has exceptional skills and reflexes to rival any of the other racers. As long as Watto pays the entry fee, I don't see why people would have much of a problem with Anakin racing.
    I'm sorry, you're saying they laugh at one of the racers and treat him like a spectacle of ridicule? Sounds familiar somehow...

Nothing Anakin does in the movie's final cut is any different from the surviving Naboo Pilots in the film, so why don't we see any adult humans competing in the race? They don't really touch on that, they cut the kid's Force use out of the final film too, so it's a little telling that nobody but a kid enters the race.

Ah, but it all goes back to Mawhonic, doesn't it? Mawhonic's height, much like Nien Nunb before him, is debatable. It looks to me like he's actually not supposed to be tiny.

The character itself was portrayed on-set by a full-height actor, Danny Wagner, an ILM modelmaker and makeup artist who appears on many of the Blu-ray special features. I don't know how tall he is, but the Mawhonic costume was later reused in the Nightlander Club as the oh-so-imaginatively named Nic Whoma, and based on Wookieepedia's cruddy photo, it looks like Nic is of average height. So, in reality at least, Mawhonic was regular-sized. Hasbro's Mawhonic figure - released twice last year - stands as tall as young Anakin, meaning he's somewhere between one and two feet shorter than a regular-height human. Of course, Mawhonic could have been scaled down digitally in the film - but was he?

First off, there are several Gran that walk through the background of TPM, and they're all at full human height. Whether or not you can ascertain the height of the Gran senators in TPM (including Aks Moe - and I always thought they were full-height), Ask Aak is of similar height to Bail Organa in AOTC. These ones in the hangar are on the same plane as the Gella girls and the Nikto to Watto's right.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/attach...781633&thumb=1

So who are these guys? It's hard to make out the details, but they don't dress like Mawhonic, so we can assume he's not one of them. It's likely that they're Mawhonic's pit crew - they're not near his pod racer here, but they are dressed fairly similarly to the Gran that are standing near Mawhonic's pod racer before the race. The compisiting is odd, but the two Gran near his pod racer look to be the same height as he is.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/attach...781635&thumb=1

Here's a wider shot, comparing the sizes of the pod racers. Mawhonic's is in the lower right of the shot, in the front row, and Anakin's is in the the middle of the second row. Anakin's is the smallest, and Mawhonic's is taller, though not the tallest one there. The two figures near Mawhonic's pod look to be around the same height as other characters in the shot, and they are the same height as the Gran that was standing directly next to Mawhonic's engine in the last shot I attached.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/attach...781630&thumb=1

Here's a shot of Anakin standing next to the engines.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/attach...781620&thumb=1

Here's Mawhonic with Anakin's engines behind him.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/attach...781637&thumb=1

These last two shots are filmed from different angles, but it's still pretty clear that Anakin is supposed to be shorter than the engines at this point and Mawhonic is supposed to be taller.

It looks to me like Mawhonic was supposed to be normal-sized, but someone somewhere decided after the film was done that he should be the same height as the rest of the racers. Digital compositing can be tricky business, but I don't think he was scaled down much, if at all. Maybe he's supposed to be a little shorter than the average Gran, but not by a lot. I believe that he - like Nien - was robbed of his full stature for no good reason.
    I dunno, you're not convincing me, there's very little here. The shots of Anakin near the engines and then Mawhonic are from vastly different angles and distances. The shots of his pit crew behind Qui-Gon look pretty short but have scale questions.

And then we come to a real problem, because in this image from the flag parade: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:FlagParade-TPM.png
    you can see Jar Jar leaning over and 3PO holding Anakin's, giving a sense of scale, but then you have a humanoid carrying Mawhonic's flag and a Gran carrying Clegg Holdfast's flag, so this whole thing is a mess. If it's accurate though, that means Hasbro has fully ripped us off by giving us woefully inaccurately small figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    Sort of like the Special Olympics? You know, there's a special level in Hades for those who laugh at the Special Olympics...
    The people of Mos Espa seem largely to be jerks, I wouldn't put it past them.